+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 138
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    The times I'm buying more of the things on special I make cuts to the budget elsewhere to allow for it. We also have a little more flexibility than we had a few months back so we have a bit of room to move.

    I know what you mean though. There have definitely been times when we just haven't had any extra money at all to buy things that we didn't need then and there.
    There's nothing I can cut each week, unfortunately. We have cut everything unnecessary... including having cheese in the fridge (H just eats it).

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    im just thinking about those families that don't eat much meat. do you find buying the cheaper cuts of meat for casseroles, or sausages?? , is that an affordable option ? I guess lentils, and other grains would be still cheaper than meat. ??
    I do buy cheaper cuts of meat, but they can still be quite expensive. For eg a tray of mince/sausages are fine, but for 'proper' meat, I do buy cheap cuts for casseroles but that can come to about $12 or so, which is too expensive for my budget, hence I only do it once a week/fortnight.

    Lentils are icky lol. I don't do pulses.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    KitiK  (01-06-2015),SuperGranny  (02-06-2015)

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks
    3,507
    Thanked
    976
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @SuperGranny I used to buy gravy beef, osso bucco/shins, decent mince, chicken thighs or wings/drummets etc - all the 'cheap' cuts of meat, but they all seem to have incresed in price to out of reach for the average family... :/ when I was a kid they used to throw osso bucco away! Now it is 'fashionable' the price has increased heaps. We don't eat sausages and try to avoid processed meats where possible (apart from the odd hock for pea and ham soup).

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

    SuperGranny  (02-06-2015)

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks
    3,507
    Thanked
    976
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ps: I actually bought a whole rib fillet cryovaced from the butcher (Tasmanian grain fed beef) a few months ago. It cost me $130. I got them to slice it into around 200gm steaks. I got 18 (=$7 each) and it was the worst meat DH and I had eaten in years. It was supposed to be a treat... We used it for casseroles.... it literally was useless for anything else.

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    @SuperGranny I used to buy gravy beef, osso bucco/shins, decent mince, chicken thighs or wings/drummets etc - all the 'cheap' cuts of meat, but they all seem to have incresed in price to out of reach for the average family... :/ when I was a kid they used to throw osso bucco away! Now it is 'fashionable' the price has increased heaps. We don't eat sausages and try to avoid processed meats where possible (apart from the odd hock for pea and ham soup).
    Yes! Gives me the sh!ts. Lamb shanks are so expensive! We used to eat a lot of them, but haven't for years now.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    KitiK  (01-06-2015)

  9. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    15,262
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked
    1,178
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I do buy cheaper cuts of meat, but they can still be quite expensive. For eg a tray of mince/sausages are fine, but for 'proper' meat, I do buy cheap cuts for casseroles but that can come to about $12 or so, which is too expensive for my budget, hence I only do it once a week/fortnight.

    Lentils are icky lol. I don't do pulses.
    I love lentils. They're so versatile and we always have 4 different types in the house. Red and tinned for quick meals and green and french for things done in the slow cooker or the likes.

    Even before we cut out meat I was struggling to deal with cheap sausages. I just could not stomach them. Mince I could deal with by cooking it off and draining the fat off and cheaper steak cuts could be turned into stews. Even then I found it cheaper to fill things out with lentils and beans.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

    KitiK  (01-06-2015)

  11. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I love lentils. They're so versatile and we always have 4 different types in the house. Red and tinned for quick meals and green and french for things done in the slow cooker or the likes.

    Even before we cut out meat I was struggling to deal with cheap sausages. I just could not stomach them. Mince I could deal with by cooking it off and draining the fat off and cheaper steak cuts could be turned into stews. Even then I found it cheaper to fill things out with lentils and beans.
    Yeah I'm not a fan of sausages, especially cheap ones. But sometimes if I'm broke and running out of ideas, if I can find some marked down I'll buy them, and then I'll use them in something like devilled sausages or a casseroley type thing, so the taste gets hidden in the sauce lol.

  12. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,106
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked
    949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    @SuperGranny I used to buy gravy beef, osso bucco/shins, decent mince, chicken thighs or wings/drummets etc - all the 'cheap' cuts of meat, but they all seem to have incresed in price to out of reach for the average family... :/ when I was a kid they used to throw osso bucco away! Now it is 'fashionable' the price has increased heaps. We don't eat sausages and try to avoid processed meats where possible (apart from the odd hock for pea and ham soup).
    I've found this as well...the secondary cuts are so expensive now.

    I wanted to make lamb shanks the other day - $12 for 2! Wtf?!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

    KitiK  (01-06-2015)

  14. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks
    3,507
    Thanked
    976
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try the cost of chicken 'lovely legs' @grumpybump! I used to do them in a honey soy marinade for the kids, now they are just as expensive as thighs and breasts! At least you can get cheap marinated wings at the deli, but there isnt enough meat for the kids on them and I hate to think what is in their marinade.... too slimy - yuck!

  15. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    15,262
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked
    1,178
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    There's nothing I can cut each week, unfortunately. We have cut everything unnecessary... including having cheese in the fridge (H just eats it).
    That really does suck being in that position. Been there all too often.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (01-06-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. GHD Hair Straightener....best price on the Coast!
    By Cupcake in forum Gold Coast
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2015, 01:13
  2. Baby food v family food
    By VicPark in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 08:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Heinz Baby Basics
Our BPA Free range offers you a choice for every stage of your baby’s feeding development. You’ll love our brilliant colours, inspired designs and innovative features. Heinz Baby Basics caters for your baby’s needs!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!