+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I spend about $150-160 fortnight from Coles. This includes 2 full time nappies + 1 night nappies. Everything is home brand except toiletries!

We spend about $30-40fn on meat from butcher (chicken breast, mince, schnitzels, couple of steaks for hubby)

Approx $20 on fresh fruit & veg from fruit mart.

Then mid fortnight I spend $10-20 topping up fresh fruit and bread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I spend about $250 online shop at coles/woolies once a month. Top up with $50 meat once a month from the butcher.... and $100-150 per week on fresh fruit &veg. Its our biggest expense! We do eat a lot of it though I guess

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know when I had four children and two adults to feed I would spend about $150 a week, now it is just the two adults, and it is still often about $150 a week. I feel so bad for any young families trying to balance a budget and eat well. marie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 adults and 3 kids... very hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I shop for 2 adults, 2 teens & 2 under 2 for about $100 a week (not including nappies etc) & thats not going without anything, the key I've found is bulk buy when your regular items are on sale, school snacks, pasta sauces, household items, baking mixes (cheap treat snacks) shampoo everything! It saves so much money, I have 4 large tubs stockpiled so I never pay full price for those items & it brings your costs down greatly over time. If u cant afford to buy a few just buy an extra 1 if the item is half price or 2 for x$ you'll be amazed how much it saves u if u do that across the board Your going to buy the item in your next shopping trip anyways so why pay full price?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    First suggestion would be to check out veggie num num. There are some awesome and really cheap meals on there.

Vegetarian chilli is great and versatile. We have it with rice, as nachos or even in tacos. It's completely adjustable with the spiciness but even as is it's quite mild. I also only use red kidney beans but that's a personal preference.

Mushroon and parmesan risotto. This one used to be on ******* and coles websites but has been taken down for some reason. From memory it was:
    1 onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    oil
    3 sprigs of thyme (or equivalent dry thyme works)
    2 cups arborio rice
    3/4 cup white wine
    8 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
    200g mushrooms
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    4 tbs butter
    2 tbs lemon juice
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat the stock. In a separate pan fry off the onion, garlic and thyme in the oil. Throw the rice in and make sure it's coated in the oil. Add wine and stir until it's absorbed. Three choices here - add the stock a little at a time and stir until absorbed each time; add all the stock and stir occasionally until all absorbed; or my favorite method, transfer to rice cooker, add the stock and let it go. After all the stock is absorbed, take the thyme stems out (if you used fresh) and strip the leaves off, re-adding them. Throw in the mushrooms, cheese, lemon juice and butter, stirring until it's all combined. Check seasoning and add to taste. (before going veggie we used to slow roast lamb shanks, shred the meat and serve it on top. So not healthy but oh so yum!!!)

Red lentil and pumpkin soup

Lentil cottage pie. I just make up the mash how I normally would and add cheese on top.

Stuffed mushrooms. There are plenty of recipes including these pizza quinoa stuffed mushrooms which I'm yet to try but they sound awesome!!

We have a number of different soups and stews we make too. In summer time we have frittata/quiche and salad, brown rice salad and other things like that.

Hope that helps a bit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You know it's great to say "bulk buy" and "buy on special", but the reality is that many people cannot afford to do this.

Yes, it saves you more in the long-term, but in the short-term where is the money supposed to come from.

E.g. I spend, on average, $60 pw on regular groceries. If I bulk bought the pasta, rice etc we use, it would average out to $40 pw... but I don't have more than $60 to do that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    You know it's great to say "bulk buy" and "buy on special", but the reality is that many people cannot afford to do this.

Yes, it saves you more in the long-term, but in the short-term where is the money supposed to come from.

E.g. I spend, on average, $60 pw on regular groceries. If I bulk bought the pasta, rice etc we use, it would average out to $40 pw... but I don't have more than $60 to do that.
    The times I'm buying more of the things on special I make cuts to the budget elsewhere to allow for it. We also have a little more flexibility than we had a few months back so we have a bit of room to move.

I know what you mean though. There have definitely been times when we just haven't had any extra money at all to buy things that we didn't need then and there.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

DT75  (01-06-2015),KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    KitiK- some of my cheap non-meat meals are
    - tuna mornay ($2 tin of tuna)
    - homemade soups and home made bread (home made bread because it seems to fill them up more). for eg. pumpkin soup, tomato soup, carrot and bacon soup, chicken and vegie soup using leftover chicken.
    - risottos, for eg pumpkin risotto, mushroom risotto, tomato and herb risotto).
    - homemade gnocchi (this is super cheap to make if you get marked down potatoes!)
    - sometimes I do eggy things as well but eggs are getting so expensive anyway, so quiches and frittatas.

I'm sure there's others I'm not thinking of. But we don't eat much meat, because I can't really afford it. :/

Edit- with most of these things I taper them to what I have in the fridge already, or things that I can buy marked down or on special. For eg I was given 2 pumpkins off someone, so looks like we'll be having pumpkin soup or pumpkin risotto this week!
    Last edited by CMF; 01-06-2015 at 14:27.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im just thinking about those families that don't eat much meat. do you find buying the cheaper cuts of meat for casseroles, or sausages?? , is that an affordable option ? I guess lentils, and other grains would be still cheaper than meat. ??