+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    The only things I'd buy at Aldi are the tins of tomatoes and legumes. They don't stock a lot of the other things we have.
    Oh that's a shame. And I agree the cost of living in general is going through the roof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just went to the butchers to buy 2 racks of pork ribs for tea. The cost was $23.... I could get 2 meals of awesome pork ribs, chips and unlimited salad bar at my local bistro for $35. Feeling silly now I hope I don't stuff them up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I just went to the butchers to buy 2 racks of pork ribs for tea. The cost was $23.... I could get 2 meals of awesome pork ribs, chips and unlimited salad bar at my local bistro for $35. Feeling silly now I hope I don't stuff them up.
    Yikes!! I'm sure they'll turn out lovely though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried aldi too but their prices are about the same as other supermarket generic brands, so I found I wasn't actually saving any money, plus it was time consuming to go to so many different shops.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look if you have a local food cooperative. I buy all my fruit & veg from mine (and you can get fruit & veg boxes). Usually they're all sourced from local growers and the money stays in your community. Mine even has meat, dairy and groceries available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I feel like I am spending heaps on fruit & veg at the moment. Our local fruit & veg store is more expensive than coles/ woolworths for exactly the same produce/ same suppliers. I have found a few bargains with woolwrths 'the odd bunch', and i have a few local growers i can buy from directly, but the prices are just so expensive at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I think it depends so much on where you shop and what you buy.
    Yeah I had to shop around to find the cheapest grocer & butcher. The grocer at the shopping centre was just as expensive as coles, and the butcher was more expensive. I found the stores that were independent of a shopping center and not near a major supermarket were heaps cheaper.

Also, if you can, farmers markets that are outside of a major city are super cheap!! I went to one at Fernvale (bit of a drive!) and I got my whole week's worth of fruit & veg for $12!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Yeah I had to shop around to find the cheapest grocer & butcher. The grocer at the shopping centre was just as expensive as coles, and the butcher was more expensive. I found the stores that were independent of a shopping center and not near a major supermarket were heaps cheaper.

Also, if you can, farmers markets that are outside of a major city are super cheap!! I went to one at Fernvale (bit of a drive!) and I got my whole week's worth of fruit & veg for $12!!!
    Yes Farmers Markets are great too!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Price of food

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I've tried aldi too but their prices are about the same as other supermarket generic brands, so I found I wasn't actually saving any money, plus it was time consuming to go to so many different shops.
    I've found now aldi is really no cheaper than the other 2. It used to be a lot cheaper but I really don't notice much difference in my bill now if I go there. Their prices are comparable to the supermarkets own brands- maybe 5-20c cheaper but not really worth it.

I also notice with aldi there are no weekly specials so name brands they stock like milo and vegemite are never reduced therefore I can always get them cheaper elsewhere when they are regularly on special.

Also their meat is never reduced to clear- I buy most of my meat when reduced to clear and freeze it so save a lot that way- aldi never seem to reduce the price of anything to a bargain.

Plus I end up buying silly crap from aldi I don't need with their random special buys lol.

And packing bags, with cranky toddler, plus using a token, and still having to go elsewhere to get other little things....

I used to swear by aldi but either the other chains have picked up their game with offering cheap but decent generic brands or aldi have let themselves slide.... But it isn't the really cheap option it used to be. Especially with their lack of specials- anything on special that week from the other chains is always cheaper than aldi.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-05-2015 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    There is a lot here that deliver fruit and veg they source locally but their prices aren't much better and you can't swap things out that you wouldn't eat. I could always drive down the range to the big orange but that's not something I'd want to do all the time. The markets make a little bit of a difference but it's nothing drastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I shop online (Woolworths) and find it really helps as I can meal plan and shop at the same time, as well as shop directly from the catalogue to see what's on special.