+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got a fruit and vege box deliver for $72. It had a heap of stuff on it. The plan was to just buy some meat to get dinners sorted but then what about breakfast lunch cleaning. Not sure if it's the way to go yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    We used to have a lot that would deliver here from Brissy but they no longer do so. It would cut down costs a bit. We're vegetarian so save money on meat but spend more on milk replacements for DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel like I am spending heaps on fruit & veg at the moment. Our local fruit & veg store is more expensive than coles/ woolworths for exactly the same produce/ same suppliers. I have found a few bargains with woolwrths 'the odd bunch', and i have a few local growers i can buy from directly, but the prices are just so expensive at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends so much on where you shop and what you buy.
    I often have to shop for clients, using their shopping list for planned meals, and shopping at a major supermarket (their money is in gift cards for a particular store). Usually that would mean shopping for 1 adult and 1-2 kids. It can easily cost double what we spend at home in a week for 2 adults and a child.

We're lucky in that we have cheap local grocers and butchers. We also eat very little meat, eat a lot of whatever veg are cheap and eat a lot of legumes.

A fascinating exercise, which not many people do, is to go shopping with someone else. Like...grab a friend, and both do your week's shopping at the same time at the same shop/s. It can really draw your attention to elements of the way you shop that may save/cost you money which you hadn't even thought about.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Phony  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    I've done that...but probably with the wrong person. They eat a lot of prepackaged foods and things we wouldn't even consider having as regulars in the cupboard. They also don't eat many fruit and veg.

I really do think fruit and veg is our biggest expense. A bag of red lentils costs under $5 and lasts at least a month. We stocked up last week when Woolies had the Annalisa brand tomatoes and legumes on special for 69c a can (I bought 24 tins of tomatoes, 12 each of lentil and red kidney beans and a few chickpea and cannellini beans each so it was a lot of but we use them a fair bit). We only buy fruit and veg in season and stock up and freeze when it's on special. We don't buy as many meat replacements anymore, maybe 3 or 4 a fortnight, and again stock up when they're on special.

I'm sure we'll work out some ways to stretch the budget a bit further. It's just frustrating watching the bill go up and up for the same things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have started going to a fruit and veg shop, but you've got to pick the right one. I bypass at least 3 of them to get to this one. It is so cheap, and does a lot of things in bags/tubs (but all good quality) so I find that not only is it cheaper, but it encourages us to eat more fruit and veg because we have so much of it sitting there. I can get a big box of fruit and veg for $30-50.

The supermarket is where I notice the expense. It's so expensive, even though I buy a lot of generic brands, a lot of things on special (I'm not brand loyal for many things), I don't use a lot of commercial cleaners, we don't eat a lot of meat, I cook from scratch.
    Still expensive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I have been shopping with someone else, but I figured when they spent $300 on a few days worth of stuff, including no dinners, and for less people, I was doing something right with my shopping lol.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-05-2015),Frankenmum  (29-05-2015),lilypily  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Oh and I have been shopping with someone else, but I figured when they spent $300 on a few days worth of stuff, including no dinners, and for less people, I was doing something right with my shopping lol.
    Yeah that's what my neighbour is like. Mind you, she has 4 kids (20, 16, 10 & 4) but will spend $$$ on mostly junk type foods. It's all prepackaged chips, tiny teddies, 2 min noodles, cordial, soft drinks, frozen chips, chicken nuggets, poppers, etc. Nothing that's overly bad occasionally but she'll go through that in a couple of days, go off at the kids for eating it so quick and then go buy it all again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try Aldi if you have one around, it really makes a huge difference. I do all basic shopping at Aldi but I don't buy meat there as I don't like their meat. I got to a butcher for good quality meat but I only buy what we will eat for that week. Some fruit and veg I get at Aldi also and I go to a fruit market. I only ever enter a Coles or woolies if I see they have a special for something I actually use like half price washing powder, fabric softener or cleaning products. I cook very basic food like chicken/lamb with vegs, stir frys, pasta, rice dishes and roasts on weekends. My budget is $220 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids plus 2 dogs and a cat. I make my pet food from off cuts at butchers and mix it in with rice and veg. I also ask for bones and for $5 I get a massive bag with still a bit of meat on (for dogs). The trick is to plan all meals including breakfast, lunch and dinners. I never bulk buy unless it an amazing deal that rarely comes up. I do all my shopping on a Sun or Sat morning and don't go to the shops at any other time unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The only things I'd buy at Aldi are the tins of tomatoes and legumes. They don't stock a lot of the other things we have.