+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I did my weekIy shop at Aldi yesterday and now that Woolies online prices are the same as their in-store prices, did a comparison. I compared with Woolworths or select brands, not home brand as I think Aldi is a bit better quality than that.
    My shop at aldi which included mostly milk, cheese, fruit, veg, meat came to $116.34 in Aldi compared to the same products and quantities in Woolies which would be $147.45. So for those who said shopping at Aldi doesn't make a difference, it definitely does to my grocery bill!
    I agree with this, I never use to like shopping at Aldi either but have changed my mind. There heaps of thing you can get there apart from snacky type food, like cleaners, dairy that is way cheaper then Coles or woollies homebrand items.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emma 80 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (06-06-2015),Kcspack  (06-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I do 80% of my shopping at Aldi and know that it does make a difference to my fortnightly shopping bill. I'm surprised at all the "Aldi bashing" going on, as I find them fantastic!!

The only thing I don't like is their red meat (except the mince). Their chicken, sausages etc are good, but I do find their red meat to be a bit tough which is fine as I've got somewhere else I go to get it anyway (unless one of the major's has what I want on special).

Their fruit and vege can sometimes be a bit dodgy, but on the whole it's good. Anything I don't like I get from one of the major's (again if it's on special) or the cheap fruit and vege place I go normally (who also has an in house butcher where I get some of my meat).

I don't buy much "snacky" stuff anyway as a matter of course (some bits and pieces for DP's lunchbox), so the "overprocessed" issue doesn't apply to me. Their tinned fruit and vege/tomatoes are really good as is their rice/pasta etc. There's not many pantry staples I can't get there, so for us it works well.

I use their formula for DD and their nappy and wipes which I find are of a high quality (I compared their formula with all the rest available and it's virtually identical to Nan Ha plus it's made here in Australia not to mention being at least $5 cheaper a tin which theirs is 900gm's) which saves a lot of $ too.

I've also bought appliances, towels, clothes, shoes etc from their Weekly Specials and they're all of a high quality as well plus you never get any issues with them if you have to return anything for whatever reason. They refund you the $ no questions asked.

Got nothing bad to say about them on the whole
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 06-06-2015 at 12:07.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (06-06-2015),Kcspack  (06-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Have you been to the super IGA at South Hurstville? I often go there, they have a great range of stuff ( and can order in anything specific you need) plus the owners seem really nice and all their cashiers are always happy!
    haven't been there, must go sometime. Apparently the new supa barn in sans souci is good as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my groceries are done online, cannot go to aldi, dont think they have online like woolies..

But I have lowered my grocery bill Alot each week, by buying woolies select brand stuff, compared to branded, and it makes a massive difference, and most so far I have tried, little new each week, has been same or similar or not much noticable difference too branded stuff... but the $$$ savings are HUGE!

On top of that... I grow alot of my own vegies.. and I mean ALOT.

I rent... have a long lease in place, and have a hot house now and vegie beds, x4

It is so much easier then a person thinks and not that much work involved to grow our own and not only is it rewarding and You do Notice the huge difference in freshness and taste... it just saves alot of money per week and can eat fresh a hell of alot more, when struggling.

Just need to learn how long it takes to grow something from seed, too ready to harvest and how much to grow.

I grow cauliflower, plant 2 new ones per week, lettuce, 2 new per week, celery, 1 per week, parsley I have a few growing, constant endless supply.
    Same for, broccoli, mint, oregano, chives, list goes on and on.

that just listed above is a huge savings in weekly fresh veg, and in spring/summer when I am growing tomatoes, all way through too now, early winter and still harvesting I alos learnt about preserving food myself.

via buying a preserving kit + my own jars and lids, and I have endless supply of crushed tomatoes, pureed tomatoes (passata sauce) etc. DO not have to buy any of it canned at all. And I cook alot of soups and casseroles.

Vegies like spring summer, I freeze alot of it, especially when I have grown alot on purpose to harvest to freeze. No need to buy most vegies at all, fresh or frozen.

CHutneys and Relishes I make myself, using preserving kits myself, same kind of stuff your buying from supermarkets but made yourself, so you know really what is in it and quality of it.

Jams and Cordials I make myself now too..

And my backyard isnt a farm, as in massive, but smart yard space usage and vegie garden beds built, etc I can do all this and save tonnes of grocery money every single week, week to week.

And I am single with 4 children, and through I am not rich, I am certainly doing better financially for clothes, camps etc by doing the above.

I am now getting into making my own breads, all different kinds as well.

Just love it, and love it more so when I know how much money I save every week, compared to if I never have learnt to grow my own, and preserve and freeze things myself.

Watermelons, strawberries are a constantly near weekly supply in summer.

Oh I also have 4 dwarf sized fruit trees, I was able to buy from saving money and alot of it every week... 2 apple trees, 1 is royal gala other is granny smith for baking.. and 2 nectarine trees and produce alot, for a dwarf trees grown in pots.

Whole ramble above, is about the price of food, if things were not as tough as they are now on families, single or not, and cost of living and food, I would not have looked into what I now know how to do and save alot of money and can eat better, infact better then some people I know who are in a much better financial situation then myself.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sensational For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (10-06-2015),Reneeharry  (10-06-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would love to grow my own veggies, herbs, and maybe even fruit... but we are not allowed

Maybe at our next place.

I love Aldi- but then we eat pasta, and use pasta sauce, several times a week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Yep, we're renters and my DP grows a shizload of stuff too!!! We had a massive raised vege garden at our old place and everything else like dwarf fruit trees, herbs etc in pots. We've also got a worm farm for all the scraps

We had to move unexpectedly in Dec last year (landlord wanted house back due to financial issues) and thankfully we found both a mover and another landlord/real estate that would let us bring everything including our native bee hive!!!

Our climate doesn't allow for apples, but we grow other stuff like mandarins, lemons, limes and he's just gotten some lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli sown. We're about to go and buy a raised vegetable bed kit (he built the last one at our old place out of wood but can't do that here) so we can get more stuff going

I appreciate not everyone's got the time, nor the desire or inclination to do it and God knows, I haven't got the skills!!! Hopefully DD will take after her father..We have her in the garden every day (weather permitting) and DP walks around the yard with her letting her feel and smell all the different plants etc

Getting back on topic, growing some of our own produce saves us $ too plus it tastes great freshly picked (we don't use any pesticides)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is right, and this is why I posted my long ramble about growing your own.

you do not need any skills, just a little read, learning trial and error.
    Do not need massive space, can use pots and still achieve get results.

I was looking at woolies the price of parsley, i use alot of parsley per week and was surprised too see it go for like $2.90 a bunch same for other fresh herbs... you could buy a plant for that much from a nursery or packet of seeds and grow a few, and have a never ending supply.

I love the preserving kit... it is expensive to buy that is true and especially for a good one with a thermostat built in, but once your set up its probably going to last you a good 20 yrs or so... home made stuff your paying for at the supermarket... I love my own tomato sauce, mint sauce too.

Possibilities are near endless. Give it a go if you can and grow some vegie, fruit yourself.

We have paid ridiculous amounts of money in this country for food for too long.

Don't get me started in how we are being ripped off for utilities, especially electricity when so much things use electricity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sensational For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
    my groceries are done online, cannot go to aldi, dont think they have online like woolies..

But I have lowered my grocery bill Alot each week, by buying woolies select brand stuff, compared to branded, and it makes a massive difference, and most so far I have tried, little new each week, has been same or similar or not much noticable difference too branded stuff... but the $$$ savings are HUGE!

On top of that... I grow alot of my own vegies.. and I mean ALOT.

I rent... have a long lease in place, and have a hot house now and vegie beds, x4

It is so much easier then a person thinks and not that much work involved to grow our own and not only is it rewarding and You do Notice the huge difference in freshness and taste... it just saves alot of money per week and can eat fresh a hell of alot more, when struggling.

Just need to learn how long it takes to grow something from seed, too ready to harvest and how much to grow.

I grow cauliflower, plant 2 new ones per week, lettuce, 2 new per week, celery, 1 per week, parsley I have a few growing, constant endless supply.
    Same for, broccoli, mint, oregano, chives, list goes on and on.

that just listed above is a huge savings in weekly fresh veg, and in spring/summer when I am growing tomatoes, all way through too now, early winter and still harvesting I alos learnt about preserving food myself.

via buying a preserving kit + my own jars and lids, and I have endless supply of crushed tomatoes, pureed tomatoes (passata sauce) etc. DO not have to buy any of it canned at all. And I cook alot of soups and casseroles.

Vegies like spring summer, I freeze alot of it, especially when I have grown alot on purpose to harvest to freeze. No need to buy most vegies at all, fresh or frozen.

CHutneys and Relishes I make myself, using preserving kits myself, same kind of stuff your buying from supermarkets but made yourself, so you know really what is in it and quality of it.

Jams and Cordials I make myself now too..

And my backyard isnt a farm, as in massive, but smart yard space usage and vegie garden beds built, etc I can do all this and save tonnes of grocery money every single week, week to week.

And I am single with 4 children, and through I am not rich, I am certainly doing better financially for clothes, camps etc by doing the above.

I am now getting into making my own breads, all different kinds as well.

Just love it, and love it more so when I know how much money I save every week, compared to if I never have learnt to grow my own, and preserve and freeze things myself.

Watermelons, strawberries are a constantly near weekly supply in summer.

Oh I also have 4 dwarf sized fruit trees, I was able to buy from saving money and alot of it every week... 2 apple trees, 1 is royal gala other is granny smith for baking.. and 2 nectarine trees and produce alot, for a dwarf trees grown in pots.

Whole ramble above, is about the price of food, if things were not as tough as they are now on families, single or not, and cost of living and food, I would not have looked into what I now know how to do and save alot of money and can eat better, infact better then some people I know who are in a much better financial situation then myself.
    I think this is great.