+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We do about $230 a week with formula and nappies. I spend about 70 per fortnight on formula, nappies, wipes. How are you feeding a family for 90 a week including cleaning products Maxwell?
    Vinegar and bi carb and dishwashing liquid for cleaning everything. $12 coles nappies. Pbs formula. Farmers markets for fruit and veg and only in season. Grow lots of veg. Get meay from the butcher that is affiliated with the abboitoir then sells to other butchers. Eggs from farmers markets. Bulk buy milk by the crate at costco, bulk buy giant tomato tins at costco. Herb garden. Bulk buy dried legumes to bulk out everything. Porridge or corn flakes for breakfast. Really strict meal plan.

This is a short term necessity due to job hunting, a few vital household items dying so our savings have gone.
    Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 04-06-2015 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Price of food

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Our grocery bill is our second biggest expense behind mortgage. We don't scrimp on food unless we have 1000 bills come in at once. When that happens, I buy the cheap milk in Coles or woollies, some home brands, and buy meat on special from there as well.

Usually I order from Aussie farmers. Their meat and fresh produce is nice, but more expensive.

My meal plan is usually the same every few weeks or so. I work 3 days a week and 2 of my kids have after school activities almost every day, so I have to be organised.

There was an interesting article by choice today... http://m.smh.com.au/business/retail/...0150604-ghfjyu

I don't often shop at Aldi but they are good for things like nappies. Their fruit and veg is horrible. I've been to Costco not somewhere I would go regularly. I find IGA a rip off everywhere.
    [QUOTE=BigRedV;820237

I don't often shop at Aldi but they are good for things like nappies. Their fruit and veg is horrible. I've been to Costco not somewhere I would go regularly. I find IGA a rip off everywhere.[/QUOTE]
    Have you been to the super IGA at South Hurstville? I often go there, they have a great range of stuff ( and can order in anything specific you need) plus the owners seem really nice and all their cashiers are always happy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've never understood the Aldi love. I shopped there are few times years ago and I found they really aren't that cheap if you buy generic to begin with (which we do). In fact their products are the same price as home brand and their meat and veg was awful, their range was limited so I had to shop at Woolies anyway.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CMF  (04-06-2015),HappyBovinexx  (04-06-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-06-2015),Nemmi1987  (04-06-2015),snowqu33n  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I've never understood the Aldi love. I shopped there are few times years ago and I found they really aren't that cheap if you buy generic to begin with (which we do). In fact their products are the same price as home brand and their meat and veg was awful, their range was limited so I had to shop at Woolies anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    This plus they have a lot of processed food and not much by the way of basic ingredients for those who like to cook from scratch (me).
    These are the reasons I've avoided Aldi for the most part. I know a lot of the mums at school rave about the stuff they buy for their kids' lunchboxes there but DS doesn't eat the sort of things they're packing (well, he would but I don't allow those sort of things lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first Aldi experience the other day... It was, meh. Although the rice crackers I got from there were really nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    This plus they have a lot of processed food and not much by the way of basic ingredients for those who like to cook from scratch (me).
    Yes! Whole aisles full of snacky packet things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree, plus I buy brand name when on a half price special and stock up

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think Aldi quality has improved a lot over the years. I still wouldn't buy their fruit and veg but some of their meat is really good. The mince is really good quality. This nappies used to be horrible but they are great now.

I think Aldi is good for things like pasta, pasta sauces, biscuits, chips, frozen foods etc. but that's not stuff I buy often so no point me going there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did my weekIy shop at Aldi yesterday and now that Woolies online prices are the same as their in-store prices, did a comparison. I compared with Woolworths or select brands, not home brand as I think Aldi is a bit better quality than that.
    My shop at aldi which included mostly milk, cheese, fruit, veg, meat came to $116.34 in Aldi compared to the same products and quantities in Woolies which would be $147.45. So for those who said shopping at Aldi doesn't make a difference, it definitely does to my grocery bill!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (06-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I did my weekIy shop at Aldi yesterday and now that Woolies online prices are the same as their in-store prices, did a comparison. I compared with Woolworths or select brands, not home brand as I think Aldi is a bit better quality than that.
    My shop at aldi which included mostly milk, cheese, fruit, veg, meat came to $116.34 in Aldi compared to the same products and quantities in Woolies which would be $147.45. So for those who said shopping at Aldi doesn't make a difference, it definitely does to my grocery bill!
    Try it again using homebrand though as most people here saying that, are buying homebrand

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (06-06-2015)