+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    I made it tonight. Was yummy.

1kg of washed potatoes
    2 cups of plain flour (I used the 00 pasta flour)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp salt

The secret is roast the potatoes dry. The drier the potato, the lighter and fluffier the gnocchi.

Heat oven to 200.
    Wash and dry potatoes.
    Place on baking paper on a tray in the oven.
    Cook until soft in the middle.
    Hold the potato in one hand (I wore a rubber glove) and peel the skin off with the other.
    Put the potato through a potato ricer. Spread potato in a largish baking dish to let the steam off.
    When all potatoes have been peeled and mashed in the potato ricer, mix in flour, salt and a well beaten egg (I did this in a stand mixer, not sure if you are supposed to or not).
    Knead the dough lightly.
    Portion into small balls.
    Roll into log about 1 1/2cm wide. Chop into 2 cm pieces.
    I then lightly pressed with a fork do decorate.
    Spread out on baking paper.
    When all gnocchi has been rolled and cut, lower into boiling water.
    Cook for a couple of minutes. It will be ready when it floats to the top.

I then placed mine into a baking dish and covered with a tomato based sauce (sauted garlic, large tin of tomatoes, bit of water, fresh basil leaves simmered on stove for half an hour or so) and placed in a baking dish and covered with thin slices of mozzarella cheese and baked in the oven until brown.

Was yum.
    OMG that sounds amazing!!! How long does it takes to make?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried many different gnocchi recipes. The ones that fail are the ones that have too much flour. I think I generally use about 1kg of potatoes and about 1 cup of flour. That's it.
    Tips and tricks I've learnt to get fluffy, soft as a cloud gnocchi is- dry roast the potatoes in their skins, or microwave them if you're short on time. Don't boil them- they hold too much water, and hence absorb too much flour which makes them tough. Put them through a ricer. Leave to cool. If they're still hot, they absorb too much flour. Mix the flour in gently, you can use your hands, but don't knead it much, it makes it tough. Divide into portions, roll into sausage shapes as thick as your thumb. Cut into squares, and then flick them off a gnocchi board. Cook in boiling water until they float. Yum yum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK that all sounds too time consuming with two ankle biters lol....any recs for good ready made gnocchi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    OK that all sounds too time consuming with two ankle biters lol....any recs for good ready made gnocchi?
    Look up ricotta gnocchi, it's much quicker as you don't have to cook first, it's just ricotta, flour & egg... My hubbies favourite is gnocchi with Basil cream sauce, I've always done it the long way with potato, I recently discovered the ricotta version, it takes me 15 mins to make! Easy as, I haven't made the potato version since!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    No... not really! Once you taste good homemade gnocchi, all the store bought ones seem like tasteless little bullets.
    Once you get used to making it, it doesn't take long. Only thing that bothers me is the flour. It gets everywhere!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-06-2015),SoThisIsLove  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I can never understand how people say they do their shop for under a 100 a week with kids. I spend probably 50 a week just on fruit and veg. I buy heaps of home brand. But with washing powder, toilet paper, toiletries, 7 meals a week, school food and snacks I just can fathom how it's done I've seen people's lists in the past and my family would eat that in 2 days (none of us are obese). Short of living off pasta and pasta sauce and sausages every night with no snacks and frozen veg I'm lost.

I find making from scratch just as expensive if not more expensive than jarred/pre made food.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

almai  (01-06-2015),DT75  (02-06-2015),munchkin275  (05-06-2015),SoThisIsLove  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Pantry foods and cleaners are the biggest cost traps I think. I don't buy snacks (except the seaweed crackers which are $1), milk drink additions (milo, nesquick), cordials, museli bars and lunchbox stuff, spreads, cereals even - all cost a lot of money.

Anything that isn't a necessity and is more of a treat or snack, isn't bought unless it's on special (eg spreads) or needed (eg snacks/treats for a party). Snacks in my house are fruit, seaweed crackers or cruskits! (Boring but at least it's healthy!)

I've also found that spending more on some things cost me less in the long run - eg I used to use laundry powder as it's cheaper than a liquid, however after trying a liquid one, I use way less than powder as IMO it's far more effective and I only need a little bit compared to the amount of powder I was using to get the same result. I stock up on the brand I use only when it's on special, which is all the time (goes our for $9 a bottle, instead of the $18 normal price ).

Since having DS I've become way more savvy in my spending (and healthier too, I think!).
    We always have Milo and DH has his chai powder or teabags. It stops the temptation to spend massive amounts on ice cream, chocolates and other really junky things. We were eating far too much junk for a while there so the fact that we've cut back this much is great and I can now even go a few nights where I don't crave a milo. DS only has a milo every now and then. I bought a 1.25kg tin for $12 today and that will likely do us for 6+ weeks. I buy oat bars, Jatz/Ritz and flavoured rice cakes for DS's school lunches and everything else I make. Cereal here is either Weet-Bix or oats of some sort. I don't buy anything else because on the occasions I have DS doesn't finish the box.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I buy the 5kg box of Duo sensitive at Big W which is usually $10 or $12. It lasts months. I can't use much else and certainly not anything as cheap as that. Cleaning products are actually quite a small portion of our budget.

The mineral water, expensive milk replacements and some other things certainly have to be reduced to a bear minimum though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I can never understand how people say they do their shop for under a 100 a week with kids. I spend probably 50 a week just on fruit and veg. I buy heaps of home brand. But with washing powder, toilet paper, toiletries, 7 meals a week, school food and snacks I just can fathom how it's done I've seen people's lists in the past and my family would eat that in 2 days (none of us are obese). Short of living off pasta and pasta sauce and sausages every night with no snacks and frozen veg I'm lost.

I find making from scratch just as expensive if not more expensive than jarred/pre made food.
    I'm the same. Even without the little unnecessary things I could never get the grocery bill under $100 these days.

ETA: Funny thing that happened yesterday. With all the talk here of food that was expensive and then doing the fortnightly menu and shopping list...I forgot to get toilet paper which we desperately needed so had to run in this morning and grab some lol.

I was just so focused on the food side of things that I bypassed everything else lol.
    Last edited by Chunkydunks; 01-06-2015 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    We always have Milo and DH has his chai powder or teabags. It stops the temptation to spend massive amounts on ice cream, chocolates and other really junky things. We were eating far too much junk for a while there so the fact that we've cut back this much is great and I can now even go a few nights where I don't crave a milo. DS only has a milo every now and then. I bought a 1.25kg tin for $12 today and that will likely do us for 6+ weeks. I buy oat bars, Jatz/Ritz and flavoured rice cakes for DS's school lunches and everything else I make. Cereal here is either Weet-Bix or oats of some sort. I don't buy anything else because on the occasions I have DS doesn't finish the box.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I buy the 5kg box of Duo sensitive at Big W which is usually $10 or $12. It lasts months. I can't use much else and certainly not anything as cheap as that. Cleaning products are actually quite a small portion of our budget.

The mineral water, expensive milk replacements and some other things certainly have to be reduced to a bear minimum though.
    Oops sorry it was meant to say I don't buy any snacks or treats (or even cereals/spreads) unless on special. I usually have milo in the cupboard too - wasn't a post directed at you, was just a general observation of just how much this stuff costs!!! Which is why when I get milo (and other non-essentials) I won't buy it unless its on special - I can't stand paying full price for stuff like that (I think it's a rip personally) so I always make sure I don't as much as possible.

I get where you're coming from, I hate that groceries are just so expensive.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 01-06-2015 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Oops sorry it was meant to say I don't buy any snacks or treats (or even cereals/spreads) unless on special. I usually have milo in the cupboard too - wasn't a post directed at you, was just a general observation of just how much this stuff costs!!! Which is why when I get milo (and other non-essentials) I won't buy it unless its on special - I can't stand paying full price for stuff like that (I think it's a rip personally) so I always make sure I don't as much as possible.

I get where you're coming from, I hate that groceries are just so expensive.
    I know it wasn't directed at me in general. I've just been working through things as each person shares their techniques

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (01-06-2015)