+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I am going to try and replace meat in our meals (or go meatless) at least 3 days a week to save cost. Has anyone got and healthy, yummy, cheap, filling, kid friendly meals to share???
    I only do red meat once a week for DS so we eat heaps of veggie or fish meals , some of our favs:

Falafel- easy to make, cheap and very healthy , I do falafel kebabs - just wrap falafel, tabouli, cheese and tzatziki in pita bread and toast

Pasta - cheese and spinach lasagna, roasted cherry tomato pasta, egg plant and tomato spaghetti, pesto pasta

Pizza - cheese, spinach, capsicum and basil ( use pita bread as a base for a quick version)

Mexican - bean nachos or burritos or cheese and spinach quesadillas

Curry - Dahl or veggie curries

Stir fry - add cashews or almonds with veggie and noodles for a protein hit ( or tofu)

Veggie spring rolls or rice paper rolls

Feta and spinach sausage rolls or veggie pasties

Chickpea or veggie burgers

Sweet corn vol au vents or veggie or lentil pies

Soup - lentil soup, pumpkin soup, french onion soup or veggie soup

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (01-06-2015),KitiK  (01-06-2015),SoThisIsLove  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    The farmers are paid a pittance for their meat. The cost is in butchering and the extreme profits that are put on it by the supermarkets. It really sh!ts me that meat is so expensive yet the farmer gets hardly anything. I do shop at a butcher because it is a bit cheaper but even there the meat (especially red meat) is expensive. I did buy slow cooker beef a couple of days ago and it was $13/kg. Not impressed.

We basically live off of canned fish and chicken thigh most of the time. Red meat is about once/week or fortnight, and usually in mince/sausages or slow cooker type cuts.
    It's sad that this has happened. Gone are the days when everything was pretty much local so the farmers got more of a cut. Coles and Woolies really do have the whole country by the short and curlies.

Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    Yeah, it is hard renting... have you thought about a few pots for like patio dwarf fruit? They have combos of orange and lemon, mandarin and lime etc that are at least moveable... Just a thought?
    We may when we settle in one area long enough lol. It's hard doing long distance moves with plants.

I always compare things by the $$/kg. It's really the only way to make sure you're getting the best value for money.

I'm really starting to recognise where our grocery bill is in need of adjustment. The meals aren't that expensive (lentil lasagne for dinner tonight and it will actually do lunches as well at a grand total of about $9)...it's the extras and I need to put my foot down there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I'm really starting to recognise where our grocery bill is in need of adjustment. The meals aren't that expensive (lentil lasagne for dinner tonight and it will actually do lunches as well at a grand total of about $9)...it's the extras and I need to put my foot down there.
    Pantry foods and cleaners are the biggest cost traps I think. I don't buy snacks (except the seaweed crackers which are $1), milk drink additions (milo, nesquick), cordials, museli bars and lunchbox stuff, spreads, cereals even - all cost a lot of money.

Anything that isn't a necessity and is more of a treat or snack, isn't bought unless it's on special (eg spreads) or needed (eg snacks/treats for a party). Snacks in my house are fruit, seaweed crackers or cruskits! (Boring but at least it's healthy!)

I've also found that spending more on some things cost me less in the long run - eg I used to use laundry powder as it's cheaper than a liquid, however after trying a liquid one, I use way less than powder as IMO it's far more effective and I only need a little bit compared to the amount of powder I was using to get the same result. I stock up on the brand I use only when it's on special, which is all the time (goes our for $9 a bottle, instead of the $18 normal price ).

Since having DS I've become way more savvy in my spending (and healthier too, I think!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Where you live has a major impact on the price of food. We've had a significant drop in our grocery bill by moving from Cairns to Canberra. In Cairns I could easily spend $350-400 a week on 2 adults and a baby/ toddler (not including nappies or pet food!). Fresh produce was ridiculously expensive and poor quality. The only cheap produce was tropical fruit at the markets (I'll miss the $8 trays of Bowen mangoes this Christmas!).

Now in Canberra we are spending $200 a week including nappies. The quality of the food is incredible by comparison. Having access to Aldi and Costco definitely helps as well. I could definitely cut this down further and will do over the next few weeks.

It is wrong that there is such a discrepancy in price and quality between rural/remote Australia and the metropolitan areas ������
    This and the almost halving of the electricity bill is why we're moving back at the start of next year. The increase in rent is evened out for in the savings in other areas and it means DH has access to some really good medical services and DS a better opportunity to excel in the high schools there compared to here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Lamb is expensive because of the drought a few years ago and the demand is huge , NZ, Asia and the Middle East buy tons of our lamb so demand from overseas for our meat has increased , beef and pork and chicken should still be ok but it also goes on demand and what's on "trend" at the moment - lamb shanks and pork belly you couldn't give away ten years ago but because of the Masterchef style shows those trendy cuts of meat are in huge demand and the industry can up the prices

My BIL owns a butcher shop and often after a meat challenge on Masterchef or MKR etc heaps of customers come in and ask for quail or lamb shanks or liver etc

butchers can be cheaper than the supermarkets ( depending what you buy) you just have to read the price labels - often supermarket pre packed meat will look cheap as its already packed with a dollar amount on it but read the per kilo price and check the same from your local butcher
    I find this really interesting - our local meatworks (plus others in the state) are laying off workers because demand for lamb is low. This is both export and domestic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look up mexibake it makes tonnes (we use it to make lunches as well!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anonomum For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know I've never had gnocchi 😮 if anyone can share some tested yummy healthy recipes it would b appreciated 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the subject of snacks I try and keep it simple because store bought stuff is expensive and usually ladden with sugar. Snacks here consist of home made slice or biscuits ( as a treat) , fruit, hummus and rice crackers, cheese or cottage cheese and crackers, dried fruit ( sultanas/ dates/ apricots), nuts, yoghurt or arrowroot biccies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    You know I've never had gnocchi 😮 if anyone can share some tested yummy healthy recipes it would b appreciated 😊
    I use a potato gnocchi recipe from Taste and just tweak it to what I want to add at the time eg. pumpkin or spinach & ricotta.

ETA http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2446/potato+gnocchi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the weekend i had to buy some salad items just enough for a salad cause a friend was coming over. I went to woolies cause it was 8pm and i couldn't believe the cost of vegies! $7.98 a kg for tomatoes ? !?! And same $6 for capsicum! Do people really pay that much for vegies?

Today i had to do a fruit n veg full shop. I bought 2 x spring onion, lettuce, snow peas, quarter watermelon, red onions, bananas, mandarins, cucumber, 1/4 cabbage, celery, parsley, eggs, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, 1 piece of ginger, 2x custard apples all roughly anywhere from 1.5-2kgs each. Bananas and mandarins were ×2 cause my mother in law needed them and it cost us $75. This will last us 2 weeks. I only did top up for other stuff that came in at $37 but some of it was unnecessary stuff like a bag of timtams minis lol but in total $112. That's without meat ad I'm just trying to get through what i have.

I desperately need an upright freezer ao i can freeze things in portions better. I have a chest freezer and I haatttteeee it cause i can't see everything properly !