+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stalled labour after waters breaking.

Hello,
    My waters broke yesterday at 9.30pm prior to that I was having inconsistent contractions. I called the hospital and they told me to try and get some sleep and call when I woke up. I slept for 2 hours and the contractions became stronger they were 2 1/2 minutes apart, lasting a minute. I called and they told me to come in, my cervix was dilated 2cms. They said I could stay in hospital or go home but they were positive I would be giving birth today. I chose to go home and they have me some panadeine so I could get some sleep. This was at 3.30am. I slept from 4.30am-5.30am, I woke up and then nothing. The contractions had stopped and I felt super gluggy from the panadeine.
    My midwife phones me to check on my progress and I told her it had stopped. She reassured me that it was normal and the contractions would come back stronger...well it's been 4 hours since I spoke to her and nothing. I've been bouncing on my ball, I went for a walk, I'm drinking rasberry leaf tea and I'm using clary sage. I'm worried about getting induced. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not personally, but it's not uncommon! Get some rest while you can! You've got more time before you have to be induced. Depending on your facility, they wont let you go more than 72hrs normally which would be Saturday night at the latest. - The fact that you have been contracting is an excellent sign, sometimes your body just needs a rest before gearing up!
    Should you need induction (which at this stage doesn't seem necessary), don't stress about it until you're at that stage. Even then, It's not something to be concerned over. As I said, the fact that you have been contracting could mean that If and when you're induced, you may only need a "sniff of synt" before your body gets into it!
    All the best!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CodieBloom For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my labours were like that. Waters breaking then stop start contractions for 20-36hrs. My ob explained that it was due to Bub being posterior and its head not fully hitting the cervix. I was advised to rock on hands and knees and then walk for 10min. Repeat as much as possible.

When tired lie on your left side with your right knee completely over and almost touching the bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, though unfortunately I ended up with an induction

I was also offered panadeine and told to get some sleep, which also caused my mild contractions to stop. They never really started up again for me after that, but it sounds like yours were a bit stronger to begin with (2.5 minutes apart and 2cm dilated is a great start!) so there's hope for you yet What is the time limit at your hospital? If 48 hours then you still have plenty of time.

If I could go back I'd keep doing everything I could to try and move things along like you're doing - walking, bouncing, nipple stimulation, (TMI eek!) sex is not allowed but clitoral stimulation can get oxytocin flowing.

And if you do end up with an induction, know that natural birth can still happen! I was so scared of induction since I was sure that it inevitably meant getting an epidural, then ending up with forceps or a c-section, but it was fine - I had a 6 hour labour and an otherwise smooth birth. (Though having to wear the monitor and not be allowed in the water was a bummer, so I'd try and avoid induction if possible).
    Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You will be given oral ABs 24hrs after waters break to reduce infection risks and you have72hrs from waters breaking to when they will induce. Keep a track of bubs movements and if you have any discharge that's bloody or black go in ASAP.

Try raspberry leaf tea as well. Good luck

I understand your worry as it's happened to me twice already.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I just received a call from my midwife. They'll be inducing me at 6pm if I don't go into labour on my own today. I'm continuing to stay active and I'm trying to remain positive. I'm glad to her that not all induction stories end with more interventions. What will be, will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had three great inductions & two of them started with me not even 1cm dilated. So if your already 2cm then it should be easy for your body to take over once they induce you. Good luck! Xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrswhitehouse For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I had a wonderful induction with my first, like one of the PPs said a 'sniff' of syntocinon and I was off. He was born four hours after the drip was started with no further intervention. I had pethidine as pain relief but that was totally my choice.

My labour was still active - I walked the halls of maternity dragging the drip behind me, and then when it ramped up I laboured on the bed leaning over the head of the bed. At that point I was on CFM - so even when they put you on monitoring you are not 'strapped' to the bed, you still have mobility. Best of luck with it all, hopefully labour will kick in before your induction but if not, I hope it all goes well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

MamaEve  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaEve View Post
    Thanks all. I just received a call from my midwife. They'll be inducing me at 6pm if I don't go into labour on my own today. I'm continuing to stay active and I'm trying to remain positive. I'm glad to her that not all induction stories end with more interventions. What will be, will be.
    That's really quick to induce after waters breaking???? Did she say why?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stalled labour after waters breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    That's really quick to induce after waters breaking???? Did she say why?
    I agree. That is quick! You know you can refuse if you're not comfortable... (I'm assuming it's not medically indicated.)