+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive got one and I want it fixed - but I have two ASD kids and no support - dont know how I would cope with the recovery.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's full on! I'd have to rely on my parents!! Hubby is doing some massive hours atm!! Do u think bigger than a c/section?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by joalisha View Post
    Wow that's full on! I'd have to rely on my parents!! Hubby is doing some massive hours atm!! Do u think bigger than a c/section?
    No.

I had mine done as emergency at 19 weeks.
    I had get the surgeon to sign off on natural birth. They said it was better to have a natural birth and redone the fix than to have csection as it was a bigger op.
    If done as a non emergency it can be done as a day surgery. I had mine done at 2 am and was realised the next afternoon. I should have stayed another night as I could move/sit up or walk well until the next day. I was back to normal in under a week with no heavy lifting for 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by joalisha View Post
    I've had three hernia repairs and one c-section and for me I'd say they were similar in terms of recovery times. After about 2 weeks I was managing ok with three kids but every body is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I've had three hernia repairs and one c-section and for me I'd say they were similar in terms of recovery times. After about 2 weeks I was managing ok with three kids but every body is different.
    I would believe miss kitty above any Dr. In terms that she been through both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's a hard thing to estimate because the hernias vary in size and location, repairs can be done differently and then post op pain management differs from hospital to hospital but I do believe that keeping on top of the pain is vital to recovery time and so is listening to your body.
    The hardest thing with kids and recovery is NO lifting so you do need some support in place or some strategies for getting kids and/or shopping in and out of the car for a good few weeks.
    I found wearing support garments helped as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sigh - its the elephant in the room I dont want to deal with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Big hugs - I totally understand that xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Big hugs. That exactly how I felt until dd graduation night when I spent most of the night in the bathroom crying in pain. I ended up hospital that night only to be realised the next day with a plan of having the op to fix at 26 weeks when they thought it would be safer for bubs. 2 weeks later it had strangulated my bowel and it became a emergency thing.

My advice would be to get fixed sooner rather than later. When you have time to organise help. In a emergency you just can't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I saw the surgeon this morning and he's booked me in for surgery this coming Wednesday!!

He said the hernia was not reducible, in his opinion, and so it was absolutely necessary to get it done soon, even though it was only fat and not bowel that was protruding at this point of time.

Apparently it is a paraumbilical and not an umbilical hernia.

That escalated quickly!!!
    Good luck tomorrow!!