+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DSS and DSD, no. They struggle enough while in school full-time.

Future kids? Maybe, if we knew they could catch up.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    depends ont he holiday, and the kid.

I am lucky that DD is pretty bright, so doesnt struggle with school. If she did I might reconsider.

In Grade 1 we took her out for 5 weeks for a 6 week holiday to Europe. Was absolutely awesome and she learned so much.

In grade 3 she missed 3 weeks for a 4 week holiday to Italy - and again was definitely great.

This year (grade 4) we did go away in April but that was school holidays. And we are going in December and she will miss a week - but its the last week of school when the kids dont do anything anyway (and yes I ask her first as she will miss her class party etc)

As we were going for so long, I did speak to both her teacher and the principal both times, but for only a few days I wouldnt.

Its an individual call ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it largely depends on the attitude you convey about it to the kids.

' this is a big deal, school is important but on this trip we are going to have a chance to learn this and this and read 2 books a day'
    Vs
    'It doesn't matter, you're not going to miss much'

DS will miss 6 weeks of school next year. We are driving to central Australia for 8 weeks. He will learn about aboriginal culture, geography, history etc and we'll make sure learning is incorporated the whole time. He will also know that it's a big deal!

My BIL takes his kids out of school for 2 weeks every year to go camping which could be a great learning opportunity, if he didn't have the attitude that 2 weeks is nothing, they won't miss much and it's no big deal. This attitude reflects on his kids issues at school and their regular detentions because they never do homework!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (27-05-2015),DT75  (28-05-2015),VicPark  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter will be having 6 days off! We are going to cairns for 8 days! She is in year 2! We will be doing educational things & many experiences she wouldn't get in a class room!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have in the past, yes. Now though DS1 is in high school, and they learn so much every day, so I am going to try and avoid taking him out. Even appointments so far I have changed to all after school hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure yet.

My MIL is a teacher and she gets very annoyed because parents expect high grades etc yet kids don't perform (go on holidays!) don't get catch up work etc...

Plus why pay fees then don't attend? (Guess doesn't matter if you are public at reduced cost. But for private fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some of my best memories as a kid are from 4-6 week holidays during school term! We did our school work and came back to school ahead of the class!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Living where we do it is sometimes necessary that the kids have additional time off from school. If we have appointments in the city for an example or recently when FIL passed away we had to go to the city for 2 weeks of the term. If the kids have to have time off school I always speak to the teacher and request school work to take with us. Sometimes time off can't be helped but I wouldn't go on holidays during school term like for a planned family holiday. I would plan a family holiday during school holidays.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 28-05-2015 at 15:30.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Catzilla  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are going to miss the last four days this term. We do it occasionally as our work schedules dont always cover the whole holiday period. Never had a teacher have a problem with it - we let them know in advance, its only ever a few days and we take their readers etc with. The kids generally keep a diary of our holidays and collect tour info and tickets along the way to show for news. Frankly with two working parents - the opportunity to have family time is more important than anything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I think it largely depends on the attitude you convey about it to the kids.

' this is a big deal, school is important but on this trip we are going to have a chance to learn this and this and read 2 books a day'
    Vs
    'It doesn't matter, you're not going to miss much'
    This is really great advice to consider actually. We took DD out of school for 2 weeks last year and pretty much used your second example. She will miss about 8 days of school this year but this time I am going to use your first example.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (28-05-2015),NoteToSelf  (29-05-2015)