+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are taking my son out of school for a one week skiing holiday and two weeks in Fiji later on in the year. Children get so much out of travelling. As a teacher myself, if students are performing well at school, why not travel during school time.

@Elijahs Mum, our school has just changed policy so if you intend to go on holiday for less than 10 days you don't need to notify the school but longer than 10 days you need to get the Principal's permission.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Holidays and taking kids out of school

Yes I have done this once. I wouldn't make a habit of it but then when I was in primary my parents took us for 2 annual holidays a year and they were always during school term for 5-7 days each. I always did really well in primary school and it's given me the best childhood memories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am doing this in August. Taking kiddo on a cruise. He is gonna miss 1.5wks, maybe 2wks of school(cruise goes sunday to sunday so he will def be having 2 days off to rest and recover. Pending on how i feel, i may let him has the entire second week off as i am on holidays too and we never spend school holidays together as i have to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Genuine question, those saying the kiddos learn more from experiencing holidays than they do at school, what sort of learning do you mean? Are you talking big overseas trips where they're learning geography or history, or little camping trips where they're learning survival techniques, or something else all together?
    I only ask, because I see myself as fairly useless as an educator, and I know any trips I take my kids on would be purely about having fun, and I'm really not sure they'd learn anything!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Catzilla  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We notified our principal. Simply because the kids were so excited. They had work hard over summer and she was happy for us to go and spend time with dd.

As education we went to science works, state library, zoo acme and museums etc... The kids got to saw and did lots that they could never do here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did as kids. A full term at a time and we all went on to get uni degrees. Travelling teaches you more in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Genuine question, those saying the kiddos learn more from experiencing holidays than they do at school, what sort of learning do you mean? Are you talking big overseas trips where they're learning geography or history, or little camping trips where they're learning survival techniques, or something else all together?
    I only ask, because I see myself as fairly useless as an educator, and I know any trips I take my kids on would be purely about having fun, and I'm really not sure they'd learn anything!
    As kids through travel we learned about different cultures and being respectful from all cultures and ehnicities. Different languages. Geography. History and art from museums. Different currencies. Different cuisines. There are so many learning opportunities

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have taken my daughter out every year for the last 6 years for overseas holidays. She is in Year 10 this year and we are going to Thailand but will only miss 2-3 days of school. I would take her out in Year 11 & 12 but she is more responsible than me and says no - though we have a chance to spend time with friends in Europe so we will see. I just think what is important in a childhood? What do you remember when you are 30,40,50?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If we could afford a holiday then yes I would, but not more than once a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would do it.

I prefer to holiday when it's not peak holiday time due to the prices and the crowds.