+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Holidays and taking kids out of school

What do you think about taking kids out of school in order to go on holidays?
    Do you only go on holidays during school break?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Our one and only family holiday was during the school term. They missed week 2 and part of week 3. Best thing we have ever done.

I wouldn't do it every year but yeah I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 27-05-2015 at 11:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are in kinder and grade 1. We took the eldest out of school for 2 weeks last year and this year we will take both kids out of school for 8 school days to go on holidays. Not sure if we'll do it when they are in high school. I'd say probably, but won't know until we get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not something I would do, but I know plenty of people do and have their own valid reasons for doing so. It's not something I feel is right for my children, but I see no issue with others doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Given how well my children are performing in school, I have no issues taking them out for holidays. If my kids were struggling or were likely to end up behind by having time off, I wouldn't.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    As a teacher I'm actually all for it- so long as you come and see me beforehand so I can give you any important work to do while you are away. And- I love it when kids come back with a journal full of photos, ticket stubbs, important finds and lots of memories. That is the best learning there is.

As a parent who is a teacher- if I ever get back to work (!) and qualify for my LSL then I would take my kids on a holiday during the term. Everything is so much cheaper!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we will.
    Life experience trumps a week or two at school!
    Late high school we won't as they would miss too much but while they are younger definitely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a child my sister and I were taken out of school a few times. We lived overseas and sometimes it was necessary for family reasons. We learned far more through travel than in the couple of days/week we missed at school. When we moved to Australia I missed most of a school year due to differences in school terms and the move etc. I am doing a PhD now so it has had no adverse academic effects

90 percent of my family live in Europe. I would take Ds out of school to visit them in a heartbeat. I may get a chance to go to a European conference in a year or two, and we have discussed DH and Ds coming so we can see my grandparents who have only met Ds twice. But that said, he Will be in kindy/primary school. If he were in high school I may think differently. I also wouldn't do it every year and I wouldn't do it for, say, a camping holiday an hour down south, only a big overseas trip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Travel gives children so much in terms of learning, in a lot of cases putting into practice and reinforcing things that they may have learned in the classroom!

I think it's fine in primary school but in high school they miss too much, even if it's only for a short amount of time.

My SS (grade 9) missed three days recently for a family celebration. While he was away he missed doing a group science experiment. It made writing up his assignment an absolute nightmare as he didn't have all the results he needed and couldn't seem to get hold of his fellow group members over the weekend. Yes, he could have been more organised and made sure he had everything before the weekend but I just find that they have so much homework all the time that I'm sure it gets quite overwhelming when they miss days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't do it all the time but sure if it were every couple of years yes and the odd extra long weekend we will probably do as my In Laws have a beach house down the coast

I was reading the school handbook they sent me ( DS starts kindy next year) and it says we need the principals permission to take days off schools for holidays - is that normal?