+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week

Default After some advice for a boring question.

Hey ladies,

As some of you would know I have a wonderful DP, she's a brilliant mother, very giving, very hands on, very capable and we're very happy...

She is however, quite fickle. She'll make her mind up, and go 100% until she's reached her goal - or she'll just decide she was wrong and abandon what she had decided to do. For example, before DD she wanted a baby and when I said yes she got to work and went hard until we had enough money to do 5 treatments until I fell pregnant. On the other side of the fence she harassed me for 6 months for a Playstation 3 and now she never touches it.

At the moment she would like a new PC, desk and few other little touches for an area she wants to make her 'study and gaming' area. She has a Macbook Air laptop that she uses for uni but Macbook Air's do not have much storage and she says she will be able to study better on a non-mac desktop. Coincidentally though, PC's are better for playing online game and she wants 3 yes, THREE, monitors for gaming. She has been at uni for over a year now and is doing really well - it's uncommon for her to get scores lower than distinctions, so I am very proud of her and she works hard. I have also started uni this year and she has been an incredible help, sitting with me and helping me for days on end with assignments and learning how to reference.

So, that's the backstory. Here's the question. Knowing that she is probably only using university as an excuse to get a gaming computer, that will have 3 monitors, would you let her buy one?

We have savings, live comfortably and the cost of the entire 'rig' will be approximately $2000. However that $2k could be spent on a holiday or something else and will be taken from our savings.

tl;dr - let fiancee buy 2k computer for gaming and university - or ask her to continue on her laptop which works fine.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    meh

if its something she really wants, I would probably say yes.

Perhaps buy the pc ... but tell her to get the extra monitors off ebay or gumtree (they are cheap and people upgrade to bigger screens all the time)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (26-05-2015),Cardi  (27-05-2015),SuperGranny  (27-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (26-05-2015),VicPark  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What do you mean let her?

If she really wants a computer and doesn't spend spend spend all the time on useless crap then why can't she get a computer? They are much better for study than laptops.

Why should you be able to say that money is better spent on a holiday? That's only your opinion.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (26-05-2015),BettyW  (27-05-2015),HappyBovinexx  (26-05-2015),Happyma  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What do you mean let her?

If she really wants a computer and doesn't spend spend spend all the time on useless crap then why can't she get a computer? They are much better for study than laptops.

Why should you be able to say that money is better spent on a holiday? That's only your opinion.
    You're absolutely right! She definitely deserves to make decisions too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I am envious. I want to finish my computer set up. I have 4 monitors and accessories. I just need the funds to build my dream box, which is the expensive bit. I even have a b:// drive and an atari joystick ready to incorporate into my rig when costs allow.

I would let her build the computer but not in one go. Say get the box, then upgrade monitors over time, then get keyboard for presents ect.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (27-05-2015),Best Things  (26-05-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This sounds very much like my husband. There is no 'let' in our relationship, but if the money is there then I have no qualms about him upgrading his gaming stuff. If you have another idea for what to do with the money, negotiate how you can both feel that you are getting your needs meet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default After some advice for a boring question.

This is hard for me, because I see it as a complete waste of money.

I would absolutely hate to be in your position, because my answer would be no.

I'm a tight a$$ and hate spending money on the latest technology.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    What is she studying?

If it is business, HR, accounting, IT or science then she really would benefit from at least duel screens. Triple would be best so she can have the manual open on one screen while cross referencing data across multiple databases and spreadsheets.

I don't see technology as a waste of funds due to the speed of computer progression in the workplace.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yeah guys. 'Let' was a terrible choice of words. She is very independent and as am I but we share a joint account and we're 'allowed', as such, to spend 200$ on things we want but have a deal about 'discussing' anything that will take money out of savings.

Sometimes you need some strong women on an anonymous forum tell tell you that you're gf deserves better.

Can't wait to tell her!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    What is she studying?

If it is business, HR, accounting, IT or science then she really would benefit from at least duel screens. Triple would be best so she can have the manual open on one screen while cross referencing data across multiple databases and spreadsheets.

I don't see technology as a waste of funds due to the speed of computer progression in the workplace.
    She is studying a bachelor of social work. She says she wants 3 screens so she can work on an essay on one, read journal articles on another and have the task sheet open on the third.

She says that she would like 3 screens for gaming so she can have the game open, ****** live on the second and have the third for manuals, guides and walk throughs.