+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Not at all. My boy is 4 and fussy water and it's real. His fear is real. Sensory or not I'm not pushing him as they are only little and need nurturing not disciplining
    This is DD. I won't even list what her limited foods are. She just will not eat anything she's not tried before unless it looks like it's covered in sugar. I try and hide foods but one touch on her tongue she spits it out then gets hysterical. That's if we get that far, she's usually hysterical before it even gets put in front of her.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is a bit younger at 18 months but his eating drives me insane. I just can't get him to try things and I know even if he does it will take about 5-10 attempts before he eats any so I'm constantly preparing food I know he won't eat and either eating it all myself or throwing it away. I don't think trying to force the situation works as it just ends up in a tantrum but I think I'm probably guilty of giving in too much and giving him something I know he likes as I just want him to eat. Mostly it's healthy but there are occasions I give him snacks just to avoid meltdowns.

I don't think people who havnt had fussy eaters can appreciate what we go through and how frustrating it is. I think some of it can be our faults but mainly I think you have to be patient and accept it and not get too stressed. I feel your frustration but I don't think disciplining children to eat works, I think it's about them realising we will follow through on our threats of not giving in to their demands and if that means they are hungry so be it. I know this is something I have to better at. Obviously I'm not the best person to be giving advice but am keen to try anything else that people suggest!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't consider myself strict, but there are rules surrounding dinner.

You eat what you are given, or you go to bed without dinner. End of story.

I never make anything that I know they genuinely don't like, and any new foods are to have 3 mouthfuls before declaring they don't like it. If they tell me they don't like it, they can have a small something else. Unless I'm talking about 7yo DS1 who has food aversions, in which case, if he tells me he doesn't like something, he gets no alternative. Because touching the tip of your tongue to something and declaring you don't like it, doesn't count.

We also have set eating times to minimise the risk of over-snacking and not eating at meal times, it works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS pussy foots around at dinner and takes forever to eat his meal. If I let him not eat it he'll be going to an apple and banana and dessert not long after. So, If it is foods that I KNOW DS eats but he's trying to play me - Im a little strict "Mate you need to eat some of everything" "Oh Good work, Just finish off your carrots and brocolli and then we'll prep your dessert". If its a food I know he's neither here nor there on i wont force the issue. I just throw it on there to see if he'll give it a go.

He doesnt get dessert unless he has a good crack at dinner though. Geeze, if I did that he'd never eat dinner and go straight to the good stuff. He'll do the "Im too full to eat dinner mummy" so i'll say "wow, you must be too full for dessert too" and he says "no, I can eat that!!" The little stinker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    not strict. Food is no big deal in our house. We eat if we're hungry, we try new things if we want to, if we don't eat our food and we're still hungry, banana or apple. That's about it really. I don't like to make a big deal out of food, it's just food.

Oh, in saying that, IF I am offering dessert (not an every day thing) they can't just say they're full to leave more room for dessert, hehe. Cheeky little things. IF there's dessert, they need to eat most of their dinner for sure
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 26-05-2015 at 12:45.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (26-05-2015),RobinSparkles  (26-05-2015),Soon2be4  (26-05-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds is only 16 months but we aren't very strict. We offer food at semi-set times and sit down as a family and he eats what he wants. I try not to make a big deal of it (though still worry if he doesn't eat much). I remember my parents making a big deal of it when I was a kid and it just made matters worse.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (26-05-2015),Soon2be4  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 always say at the table to eat . No where else and if they refused dinner they got nothing else. I was strict and set routines from the time they were in the high chair. if they didn't finish their food there was no desert.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Reasonably.

I serve food. They eat it or there is nothing till the next meal/next day.

They need to sit at the table and eat. No playing with toys but conversation is encouraged. No water till after the meal. We eat as a family as much as possible.

If they don't like something they need to have 4 bites of it and then they can leave it.

I maintain these rules from 18mths old esp the first one.

Eta. Time limit of 30min now to finish a meal or its removed.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Wow that seems very strict to me, im not saying thats a bad thing. Can I ask why no water until after? I couldn't get through a meal without a drink . Ds aged 4 is a great eater but will sometimes drink 2 glasses of water with a meal. Also why the time limit? I find different eating situations interesting as I had an eating disorder as a child and rules/restrictions around meal times used to make me extremely distressed.
    My boys have to sit at the table and try dinner, they can bring a small toy to the table, as long as they try the food that's ok, sometimes kids just aren't hungry (same as us) or they really might not feel like eating whats on offer. I always offer fruit and yoghurt after the main meal which is always eaten.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    Wow that seems very strict to me, im not saying thats a bad thing. Can I ask why no water until after? I couldn't get through a meal without a drink . Ds aged 4 is a great eater but will sometimes drink 2 glasses of water with a meal. Also why the time limit? I find different eating situations interesting as I had an eating disorder as a child and rules/restrictions around meal times used to make me extremely distressed.
    My boys have to sit at the table and try dinner, they can bring a small toy to the table, as long as they try the food that's ok, sometimes kids just aren't hungry (same as us) or they really might not feel like eating whats on offer. I always offer fruit and yoghurt after the main meal which is always eaten.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm relaxed compared to dhs family.

No water during meals as kids fill up on water and not food, water also stuffs up digestion in the gut. I give the kids water 30-60min before meals. They can have a drink with snacks but not meals.

Time limit as they stuff around. Also kids eat 75% of their limit in the first 20mins. No idea where I read that but I find that now that there is an end point the kids eat a bit faster.

I like my 4 bites policy. My kids now will try anything and I do not mind if they don't like it after that. But they need to try it. I'm a good cook so it's unlikely to taste awful.

If they don't like it or want it, then it's fine. They can do without till the next meal. I'm not a restaurant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'm relaxed compared to dhs family.

No water during meals as kids fill up on water and not food, water also stuffs up digestion in the gut. I give the kids water 30-60min before meals. They can have a drink with snacks but not meals.

Time limit as they stuff around. Also kids eat 75% of their limit in the first 20mins. No idea where I read that but I find that now that there is an end point the kids eat a bit faster.

I like my 4 bites policy. My kids now will try anything and I do not mind if they don't like it after that. But they need to try it. I'm a good cook so it's unlikely to taste awful.

If they don't like it or want it, then it's fine. They can do without till the next meal. I'm not a restaurant.

What does your husbands family do?