+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How strict are you at mealtimes?

3.5yr old DD generally eats a good variety of foods. But actually getting her to eat is the issue.

How strict are you with your toddler when it comes to them to put food in their mouths?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not at all. My daughter's 2.5. As far as I'm concerned, it's my job to provide healthy food and her job to eat it/not eat it. I don't insist; I don't comment; she eats what she wants.

DD knows that she only gets what's served, and if she finishes everything and is still hungry then she can always have more. If she doesn't want to eat it, then she needs to wait until the next meal/snack.

I'm only strict about behaviour/messing around. If she starts doing silly stuff like throwing food around or rocking back on her chair consistently then I take the food away.

Edited to add: Is the issue that she's not hungry, that she wants to control the situation, or that she's getting distracted etc. and just taking forever?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reasonably.

I serve food. They eat it or there is nothing till the next meal/next day.

They need to sit at the table and eat. No playing with toys but conversation is encouraged. No water till after the meal. We eat as a family as much as possible.

If they don't like something they need to have 4 bites of it and then they can leave it.

I maintain these rules from 18mths old esp the first one.

Eta. Time limit of 30min now to finish a meal or its removed.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 26-05-2015 at 09:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is she having too many snacks during the day and not hungry at meal times,?

I found by about 2-1/2 I stopped DS from grazing all day to having 3 meals plus 2 small snacks - otherwise I find he won't be as hungry - and if he says he is hungry before dinner is ready he can munch on some raw veggies when I'm preparing them for dinner - I always know if he's eaten enough and he vary really asks for food after dinner

If he hasn't eaten much and there are still a few veggies left I'll say eat another piece of broccoli etc before you leave the table but otherwise I never make a big deal about quantity

The only time I make him eat as such is if we are at someone's house for dinner or at that park for lunch and he's too excited playing with the kids to sit down and eat so I'll say eat something before you run off and play!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think by 3.5 a child should be eating properly, if not I would be looking at why.

Ds2 is 4. He knows by now there are 3 main meals and they are important. I limit snacks and ensure they aren't too close to mealtime. He has breakfast at 6am, they then have fruit at kindy at 9am then lunch at 11am. He gets home from kindy at 12.30 and usually won't want anything to eat until about 1pm then he will have afternoon tea when his older brother gets home from school at 3pm. We don't allow them to eat anything else until dinner at 5.30-6. They know they are expected to eat all their dinner and ds2 usually does. I find ds1 eats smaller meals than ds2 but he eats more frequently, he will often have a piece of fruit or such before bed as he is hungry after dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not at all. My boy is 4 and fussy water and it's real. His fear is real. Sensory or not I'm not pushing him as they are only little and need nurturing not disciplining

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m not really sure what the actual issue is, whether it’s control or not hungry, I think it depends on the day! If she is distracted and fluffing around I know she isn’t hungry and won’t force it. I have started a time limit of 30 min and am trying harder to let go and let her eat or not eat, but she sometimes still insists on being fed – which I think is what I need to stop (I am doing it less and less)

I think the hardest part I am finding is to not comment…. J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not very. As long as she eats something I'm happy.

We work with food psychologists & paed. He basically told us he doesn't care as long as it's food we sit at table and I sit through screaming etc I tell Dd to be quiet but she doesn't. She likes to roam 😵

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not at all. My DS is almost 2. I put food in front of him, he either eats it or doesn't eat it. If he tries something new, I praise/encourage him. If he doesn't like it he doesn't have to eat it. I try to make sure each meal consists of at least one thing he likes so I know he'll at least eat something. I don't limit how much he eats or make him wait until meal times. If he asks for a snack I give him one. If that means he's not as hungry at dinner time, it doesn't really bother me. He only (usually) gets given healthy snacks and meals so as long as he has had enough to eat I don't care much when he eats it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Um, I think I'm consistent, in that we have regular meal and snack times but if my youngest (3.5) isn't hungry or doesn't want what I've put in front of him then I don't mind and there aren't any negative consequences. I've found with him that some days he eats lots and some days not much at all. My older two are always hungry so that's a different story lol!