+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by almai View Post
    Has any couple here both breastfed a baby? I know how a non bio mum can bring in milk, but I'm wondering how the actual feeding goes...?
    We didn't. How do you even do that?

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't with ds because DP wasn't interested. But I am considering it for whenever she has a bio child. (So many delays mean we may never have another child! )

You take a medication, domperidone aswell as fenugreek and (I think blessed thistle) everyday and also pump daily to stimulate milk...

I just don't want to hurt her supply in the process.
    I figure she doesn't do well with sleep depravation so I could help at night time..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there, we have a 2yo and a 5mo.

DP is biomum of 2yo, I'm biomum of 5mo. When my milk came in after birth, I started to give 2yo milk sometimes as a bonding thing and extra immunity, he went through a phase of preferring mine to DP's which was a bit hard, I think it was the novelty and the extra creaminess of newborn milk. However, 5mo will still not take DP's milk, one or all of: milk too thin/toddler, nips a very different size, milk or mum too different in taste or smell. We've been meaning to try him out on some of her expressed milk as an experiment. Since I'm exclusively breastfeeding 5mo, I'm pretty careful about when I give 2yo milk, generally only on the last breast used, and only when my supply seems up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 1yo son in Brisbane here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there all, I've just joined this forum. My partner and I have a 15 month old son. I gave birth to our son and we looked into my partner also breastfeeding but decided that it was too hard and the side effects to taking the medication were unknown.

I was actually looking up blogs on post natal jealousy as both my partner and I had a difficult time both during my pregnancy, then a difficult birth and the first few months seemed harder than it is for lots of people.

Now things are all great and our son is in a good routine and we love him to buits but I get a bit jealous when I hear of others talking about how wonderful their birth and first weeks and months were as my partner cried most days for about 6 weeks and thought I was the same for about a fortnight, there seemed to be little recognition of her experiencing 'baby blues' certainly from family and medical professionals paid little attention to how she was feeling despite me raising this as an issue.

This experience certainly took away from our first few months and it makes me wonder if I just want another child to be able to hopefully have a positive experience with the first few weeks and a less negative birth / labour.

Has anyone had any similar experiences / does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers.

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Partners can definitely get 'baby blues' or PND. It's a huuuge change to your life and it's all very new to try navigate.
    Having done it once already, maybe you will both be more relaxed next time.... And if you aren't, maybe go see a counsellor or (different) gp. There are lots of people out there who experience this so you aren't alone. There is help out there even tho it may not seem like it from past experience.
    Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by same sex parent View Post
    Hi there all, I've just joined this forum. My partner and I have a 15 month old son. I gave birth to our son and we looked into my partner also breastfeeding but decided that it was too hard and the side effects to taking the medication were unknown.

I was actually looking up blogs on post natal jealousy as both my partner and I had a difficult time both during my pregnancy, then a difficult birth and the first few months seemed harder than it is for lots of people.

Now things are all great and our son is in a good routine and we love him to buits but I get a bit jealous when I hear of others talking about how wonderful their birth and first weeks and months were as my partner cried most days for about 6 weeks and thought I was the same for about a fortnight, there seemed to be little recognition of her experiencing 'baby blues' certainly from family and medical professionals paid little attention to how she was feeling despite me raising this as an issue.

This experience certainly took away from our first few months and it makes me wonder if I just want another child to be able to hopefully have a positive experience with the first few weeks and a less negative birth / labour.

Has anyone had any similar experiences / does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers.
    Hey just thought I'd say hi and give some feedback just from what i experienced and how our family is. I had feelings of resentment, jealousy and grief when my partner gave birth. I was happy that we had a beautiful baby in our lives but i could see the unique connection and bond that a mother and her baby naturally have (and SHOULD have!) and it really made me realize how badly i wanted that as well.

I didn't want to make my dp feel bad so i rarely spoke to her about it, but when it did come up I'd explode both externally and internally (if that makes sense).

I can't say that my desire to have a biological child ever went away until i was so incredibly lucky to get pregnant and give birth to our beautiful little girl.

In a way, i think we sometimes don't acknowledge that even though there are technically 2 mums, there is still a deep and very beautiful, biological and spiritual connection between a mother and her baby. Once my dp and i came to realize and accept that everything has been much better. I hope this doesn't rub anyone up the wrong way, it's just the way it is for us.

I hope you and your dp are ok.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

almai  (19-02-2016)