+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Messy Seperation

After some advice guidance.

I left an abusive relationship (marriage) well over a year ago. We split amicably as he admitted he needed help and after years of trying to work through things I couldn't do it any more. I moved out and we agreed on 50/50 care. We have two children (almost 4yo and just 2yo).

In Feb he was arrested, I can't go into much detail as it's still with the courts but he wasn't allowed contact with myself or the children for three months. I had to sign consent for him to see them again. Since being able to see them he has been pushing for more and more time with them. I let him see them pretty much whenever he wants at the expense of myself (He constantly touches me, won't leave when I ask him to and tells the kids things like that I am ruining our family etc). He pushes so much that I give in and let him take them.

(Little bit of background- Our eldest was stuttering prior to him being arrested and stopped for the duration they had no contact and has started again).

My children 'prefer' him. Are always asking for daddy and demanding to go to daddys house. It breaks my heart and makes me feel like the worst mother. I am always respectful to my ex and try to accommodate him but I don't know how much more I can take.

Things got a lot worse when I started dating nearly a year ago (still together). We are taking things slow, don't flaunt the relationship etc but It really made my ex into a vile person who feels like he owns me.

I am weak when it comes to him and in many ways appreciated his bail conditions because it meant he couldn't just show up (Its a common occurrence for him to show up even at lunch time even when the kids aren't here and have an excuse to come in my house). I have booked appointments with DFVPS but always chicken out because he rarely violent.

This is never where I imagined myself being

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh Hun I couldn't read and run. I'm sorry I don't have any experience to share but I wanted to offer you some cyber hugs...

It sounds like you need some boundaries with your ex DH and custody. He is still emotionally abusing you and testing his control.

In regards to your children 'preferring' their dad... I have 2 kids similar to your children's age and my son especially has these moments where he prefers one parent over another... Like if he falls he will say 'go away mummy I want my daddy' it also makes me feel awful but an hour later he says the same thing except wanting me... It's just an age thing not that you are doing anything wrong...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks love, I think I liked the bail conditions for the enforced boundaries. It meant I didn't have to fight. I am weak when it comes to the kids. Sometimes he is right, he should get to see his kids when he wants but most of the time there is an ulterior motive.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Messy Seperation

I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way because it is said with good intentions. You NEED to report your ex husband to the police. He isn't a good role model for those kids whether he appears to be a 'good' Dad or not - and I'm sorry but raping their mother, rocking up unannounced and generally causing you anxiety & stress is just as bad for the kids as it is for you. At the end of the day, when you put your foot down because of the way he is treating you, that is on him, not you. You are not to blame for his behaviour.

ETA - My DD loves her father, but she calls him by his first name and he is more of a friend to her. She doesn't like coming home because she only sees him fortnightly and he therefore doesn't have to discipline her and has all the energy in the world to devote to her for that afternoon - it's super fun for her! I wouldn't read too much into it hun.
    Last edited by ChelleBH; 28-05-2015 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Messy Seperation

Quote Originally Posted by ChelleBH View Post
    and I'm sorry but raping their mother,
    What? Where is this coming from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleBH View Post
    I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way because it is said with good intentions. You NEED to report your ex husband to the police. He isn't a good role model for those kids whether he appears to be a 'good' Dad or not - and I'm sorry but raping their mother, rocking up unannounced and generally causing you anxiety & stress is just as bad for the kids as it is for you. At the end of the day, when you put your foot down because of the way he is treating you, that is on him, not you. You are not to blame for his behaviour.

ETA - My DD loves her father, but she calls him by his first name and he is more of a friend to her. She doesn't like coming home because she only sees him fortnightly and he therefore doesn't have to discipline her and has all the energy in the world to devote to her for that afternoon - it's super fun for her! I wouldn't read too much into it hun.
    I've just spent 2 1/2 hours with a domestic violence lady and have a lot of clarity. While there he tried calling 8 times (when he would typically show up at my house). After I left he called I answered and I said I'm done. We will do pick up and drop off outside the police station and it will only be every second weekend. Child protection is getting involved now also (dv and CPU have organized that). I am hoping this enough for him to stop this behavior and for us to move forward. And he has finally agreed to co-operating with the divorce (before he said he would fight it because we have had "sex" despite it being forced) so hopefully that will go smoothly and I can move on.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonomum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (28-05-2015),VicPark  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Non consentual sex is rape

Thanks
    Reviews
    In another post I go in to more detail sorry.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

that is awesome hun.''now - stay strong. even if he resents this, even if he hates it and no matter how many times he rings, or tells you that it isnt right etc ...

You deserve to be able to move on.

Your kids deserve better than having him harrass and emotionally and physically abuse you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

anonomum  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops! I read another thread by this poster and must have gotten confused!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

anonomum  (28-05-2015)