+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Adelaide to Queensland

Morning hubbers,
    Im after some advice on places to stop on the way, how to break up the trip, what to take etc on an adelaide to queensland trip.
    Also any good places to stay around brisbane?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH and I recently did this drive. We came up the inland route. Stopped at Dubbo on the way down then Parkes on the way back. If you were wanting to break up the drive, the Taronga Western Plains Zoo is supposed to be awesome. If we weren't on such a tight schedule I would have made DH stop for a day so we could go to the Zoo haha. In Dubbo there's one of the Big 4 family holiday parks with a water park or something for the kids. It came up when I was looking for accom. In Parkes we stopped at "The Dish". The radio telescope is about 20min out of Parkes itself and is pretty impressive. There are a few things in the visitor centre to amuse the kids too. We stayed at the Aastro Dish motor inn when we stopped in Parkes. Nothing special, but brand new, clean, they have an onsite restaurant for breakfast (not sure about dinner) and is run by a lovely couple. We were driving straight from Adelaide to Parkes and weren't expecting to get in until around 9pm. The manager rang me to make sure we were safe and ok. As we weren't sure we would get there before check in closed he sorted out our room and room key for us. When we left the following morning he gave us some shortcuts to shave off some time since we had to get back to Brisbane that night (and not too late). Can't speak highly enough about them. There are loads of other places to stop, we just didn't have the time. Theres some small town around Parkes that has a lot of history around the gold rush and bushrangers too, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Are you wanting to stay Brisbane city? Gold Coast? Sunshine Coast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    DH and I recently did this drive. We came up the inland route. Stopped at Dubbo on the way down then Parkes on the way back. If you were wanting to break up the drive, the Taronga Western Plains Zoo is supposed to be awesome. If we weren't on such a tight schedule I would have made DH stop for a day so we could go to the Zoo haha. In Dubbo there's one of the Big 4 family holiday parks with a water park or something for the kids. It came up when I was looking for accom. In Parkes we stopped at "The Dish". The radio telescope is about 20min out of Parkes itself and is pretty impressive. There are a few things in the visitor centre to amuse the kids too. We stayed at the Aastro Dish motor inn when we stopped in Parkes. Nothing special, but brand new, clean, they have an onsite restaurant for breakfast (not sure about dinner) and is run by a lovely couple. We were driving straight from Adelaide to Parkes and weren't expecting to get in until around 9pm. The manager rang me to make sure we were safe and ok. As we weren't sure we would get there before check in closed he sorted out our room and room key for us. When we left the following morning he gave us some shortcuts to shave off some time since we had to get back to Brisbane that night (and not too late). Can't speak highly enough about them. There are loads of other places to stop, we just didn't have the time. Theres some small town around Parkes that has a lot of history around the gold rush and bushrangers too, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Are you wanting to stay Brisbane city? Gold Coast? Sunshine Coast?
    Thats a good question, we are travelling to see dh's best mate and dd's godfather.
    He lives in brisbane city but as we will have the car im more than happy to stay goldcoast or sunshine coast

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The Sunshine Coast is nicer imo. It's touristy but not trashy like the Gold Coast is becoming. If you go Sunshine Coast, Coolum, Alexandra Headlands, Maroochydore and Mooloolaba are my picks. Underwater world is at Mooloolaba and it's not too expensive either. The surf club there has yum food as well! As you'll have a car you could also do day trips to Maleney/Montville in the hinterland plus the Eumundi markets which are on Wednesdays.

If you go Gold Coast, avoid staying in Surfers Paradise. You're better off staying further south like Broadbeach or even further south like Tugan or Coolangatta. There are the theme parks if you're into that, plus there are some beautiful places to go for a drive and a walk - Mt Tamborine/Lamington National park, Springbrook National park.

Are you staying with DHs mate when you're actually in Brisbane? Or would you drive up/down from the coast? Or stay in the city somewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No i dont think we would stay with him. Hes got a small apartment snd it would be nice for us to have some space.