+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying new nap routine...

11 mth old terrible sleeper, worse napper. Reading no cry nap solution and trying my own version of getting a longer nap. Instead of sitting by cot to catch that first stir and lull back to sleep I'm letting her sleep on me and plan put in cot after she settles from that mini wake. All good so far nice cuddle with her catch up on bubhub. However my arm is falling asleep and my boob is sticking out and cold!
    Ah the things we do!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How did it go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not good in that I never got her into her cot so she slept on me for an hour - good in that an hour is a good nap for her these days!!! Think I'll try putting her into the cot today and sitting beside it ready for maybe second half on me. I've given up on housework!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How many naps is your little one having? What time are the naps?

Transferring bub to a different place from where they fell asleep can damage the ability to sleep through a sleep cycle changeover (as in between cycles bub wakes slightly and thinks "wtf! Why aren't I in mummies arms anymore! Why am I in the cot?".
    - if your happy with the snuggles etc that's ok, just wanted to make sure you were aware of that:

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem has been that she used to nap in her stroller outside. She slept so well outside. Would drop off around 9/9.30 walking home from school (then around 1.30/2), then I started needing to rock her, then rock while holding her hand, then she started to refuse to lie down so I had a week of terrible naps, one day she didn't sleep until 1pm, just cried when I tried to settle into cot. Thought she might be ready for 1 later nap so we headed out early in the car get things done and she fell asleep and slept an hour! So I had a few days of letting her sleep in the car and as she will sleep for an hour each time so I think she does need the 2 naps. I'm basically just doing what I can to get the nap routine going again. I totally get what you mean about going to back to sleep where she dropped off but I think her routine is off so much now and she's not used to sleeping in her cot in the day that it takes hours to get to her drop off without letting her nurse fully to sleep. The nap book I'm reading suggests watching for the first sign of waking and getting them back to sleep. When I tried this while she was in cot she just woke up too much and that was it 25min sleep. I just thought if I tried the other way around and only put her down for the second part she might be deeply asleep for longer - this worked accidentally one day. At night she has a feed and then goes into bed sleepy but awake but that is around 7pm when dp is home so I have more time to play with. If she takes an hour or more it's ok he gets older kids to bed, daytime if it's after 11 I have no chance of her having afternoon nap as that has to be done by 3pm for school run. I let her sleep in the car for that one yesterday and had to wake her up to get kids. I hate that!! Sorry for long novel. Naps are so hard for us!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand the trickiness of naps and juggling pick ups. I'm going to be so screwed next year with school and Kindy drop offs plus a baby.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I understand the trickiness of naps and juggling pick ups. I'm going to be so screwed next year with school and Kindy drop offs plus a baby.

That was me last year. When dd2 was born ds was at kindy in another suburb and dd1 at school. Kindy 9-3. I used to pay extra for 8.30 start even though that was only so I'd get there 8.50 so I'd have time to get to school for 9. Pick up was around 2.40 to get park outside and not have walk as well as hassle of getting bub in/out of car! Hopefully you'll have a good sleeper if not don't drive yourself mad reading the watch for babies sleepy signs advice when you know that means you'd have to wake a sleeping baby!! Take any offers of help from family or friends. I have none here but mil came over from nz though that caused a whole host of other issues 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im moving to another city 6wks after belly baby arrives so I will know absolutely no one. I don't even know what schools or preschools my kids will get into as we are ADF and army housing can be anywhere.

I'm not a rigid routine parent but I do like a definite pattern to my days. I guess I will just have to sort it out next year. Hoping to have both within walking distance so I can walk there and back.

The only nap I enforce is the long midday nap. Morning and late afternoon ones are pointless imo.

Good luck .