+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Learner/ new/ nervy drivers unite!!!

So annoyed with myself for getting sucked into that nasty thread about bad parkers. Anyone who isn't super confident want a place to share stories or ideas to help each other?

The best thing for me has been getting a reverse camera. They are beyond awesome!!! They have these grid lines which allow you to line up the car and adjust as you go. I'm screwed tho if I have to use our old car. I used to love it for its small size but not I prefer the big odyssey as I can park 😃
    I want to get sensors too as I can't judge getting out between cars. How do you learn this skill without bumping into cars???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Feeling you! I only got my licence 3 years ago. I was heavily pregnant at the time too and the poor instructor person was so scared I would go into labour! I attempted to reverse park but couldn't quite get it- i knew how to do it but with a big belly made it hard so my instructor said "i can see you know what to do, thats good enough!" And told me to drive back to the transport dept lol. I was sure I failed but nope!

I hate HATE reverse parking. So much so I haven't done it in all the time Ive had my licence. I don't care if i have to walk an extra 10 blocks, i WILL NOT reverse park. And same with if i have to try and squeeze into a park forwards, i will not do it because I am not comfortable. I get bad anxiety in car parks, and with kids in the back making noise and other cars behind me, i break down. So I just dont do it. I will drive around the car park for half an hour if I have to!

Its not that I can't do it, I just dont feel confident doing it and it sends me into to much of a tizz.

Reversing out of a park with others cars.... i just go very very slowly and wait until I know for sure the front end of my car is past the the car beside me. I am getting better though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (25-05-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I used to hate reverse parking too ... then I had to do it for work every day for a bit, and I got used to it a lot more (tight space, hard to get into .. awful )

anyway - since getting a reversing camera, now I reverse park often. I love my camera

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not a learner any more but still get nervous with parking. Have not parallel parked since I had to do it for my test. Refuse to do it now lol.

A tip (well not a tip as such) from my instructor when I was learning to park was doing it at a Bunnings car park. The car parks seem bigger than normal places. At least they were at this Bunnings and it made it easier.

I just take my time with parking. Do it where I'm comfortable and feel confident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Feeling you! I only got my licence 3 years ago. I was heavily pregnant at the time too and the poor instructor person was so scared I would go into labour! I attempted to reverse park but couldn't quite get it- i knew how to do it but with a big belly made it hard so my instructor said "i can see you know what to do, thats good enough!" And told me to drive back to the transport dept lol. I was sure I failed but nope!

I hate HATE reverse parking. So much so I haven't done it in all the time Ive had my licence. I don't care if i have to walk an extra 10 blocks, i WILL NOT reverse park. And same with if i have to try and squeeze into a park forwards, i will not do it because I am not comfortable. I get bad anxiety in car parks, and with kids in the back making noise and other cars behind me, i break down. So I just dont do it. I will drive around the car park for half an hour if I have to!

Its not that I can't do it, I just dont feel confident doing it and it sends me into to much of a tizz.

Reversing out of a park with others cars.... i just go very very slowly and wait until I know for sure the front end of my car is past the the car beside me. I am getting better though.
    Oh this is so me! I'm probably ok but I get so anxious when carparks are busy i circle til there's no one behind me and I can take my time. I've never parallel parked between cars but know I can do it if I'm just going into a space behind a car. I'd love to find the time and right place to practice but with 3 kids I'm in survival mode which is drive as little as possible! I hate when I have to leave a carpark cus its busy and I'm too stressed to attempt a park especially when kids are getting cranky at me and pointing out spaces that I don't feel confident to go into. But I am gradually getting better. Progress I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is progress! Even dh who has been driving much longer than I have and is a very confident (sometimes over confident) driver gets flustered easily when parking, so will park further away where there are less cars (or even better no cars!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I'm a learner. Yet to learn parking and I really want/need to get my P's before my L's expire in July.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh and driving in unfamiliar areas... holy dooly! Panic attack plus. Poor kids know now to be absolutely silent now- i once pulled over and bawled my eyes out because I was in a new area of my home town and the surroundings were unfamiliar and I had a massive panic attack. Even with gps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Oh and driving in unfamiliar areas... holy dooly! Panic attack plus. Poor kids know now to be absolutely silent now- i once pulled over and bawled my eyes out because I was in a new area of my home town and the surroundings were unfamiliar and I had a massive panic attack. Even with gps.
    Our kids could tell each other some stories! Before I go somewhere new (rare) I find it on google maps and street view it for any "obstacles" and suss out parking. I've got so cranky with kids when stressed I think they are learning to stay quiet! Well sometimes at least. I'm getting better at staying calm as I know stress is my worse enemy in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Our kids could tell each other some stories! Before I go somewhere new (rare) I find it on google maps and street view it for any "obstacles" and suss out parking. I've got so cranky with kids when stressed I think they are learning to stay quiet! Well sometimes at least. I'm getting better at staying calm as I know stress is my worse enemy in the car.
    Oh we sound so similar- imagine the 2 of us in a car together driving somewhere new- or trying to park in a busy shopping centre carpark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (25-05-2015)