Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do think it's fair. Do people expect to stay on benefits forever I wonder? Once your youngest starts school I think it's fair that one can expect less centrelink payments and be expected to return to work. And there are lots of employment alternatives around and it may mean being prepared to do something different or unexpected. I am working 3 jobs at the moment, all of which are different fields of work than the fulltime position I return to in August but it was a matter of needing to earn some extra money until then, I was prepared to do anything.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 25-05-2015 at 11:53.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (25-05-2015),Chippa  (25-05-2015),maternidade  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I do think it's fair. Do people expect to stay on benefits forever I wonder? Once your youngest starts school I think it's fair that one can expect less centrelink payments and be expected to return to work. And there are lots of employment alternatives around and it may mean being prepared to do something different or unexpected. I am working 3 jobs at the moment, all of which are different fields of work than the fulltime position I return to in August but it was a matter of needing to earn some extra money until then, I was prepared to do anything.
    That's ok if you have family support around you to help, or can find a part time school hours job @Blessedwith3boys. For many the cost of before and/or after school care (or a nanny) costs more than the additional income. I think it sucks and is again punishing those most vulnerable in our society pushing them into deeper poverty and forcing people to make choices (like letting young kids walk home from school and leaving kids at home alone in the afternoons) that can create potentially dangerous situations.

And btw, there might be plenty of opportunities where you are and you obviously have support that allows you to work 3 jobs and/or at night. I can tell you that in my area (and within a 50km radius, I check weekly) there are no more than 20 jobs advertised per week - NONE of which would be suitable for a mother with school age children. So the people who can least afford it will be punished = not fair. This Govt needs to stop waging war on women (single and partnered with low incomes) with children. Would be great if we could all start by recognising everyones circumstances are different and could change in an instant - and by having some more compassion towards other women.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (25-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe if you are studying you can look at some study assistance to get you through. It's great you're using eduction to further prospects.
    I agree with PP that once the kids are at school then both parents should be in some form of paid employment. If employment prospects are low then maybe look at other options ( such as remote data entry etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fair statement that mums be expected to return to the workforce once their children are in school however there needs to be a more productive approach. Forcing families into financial hardship will not achieve that goal. Also individual circumstances need to be considered. I teach all 3 of my children via distance education (I pay just over $6000.00 in fees for that service per year) whilst doing a bachelor degree myself. There is 1 school where we live. That school is run by a very incompetent young principal who thought it was not only ok for all 3 of my children to be bullied physically by a year 4 child but when the child in question punched my prep child in the face (swollen lip & 2 loose teeth) they did not even consider calling me. They kept him there all day and didn't so much as even send a note to explain what happened. Anyway I'm off track now, that's a very long story. So I began distance ed as an alternative to travelling 110km per day to drive the kids to and from school which is impossible for me to do given the cost of fuel, time and the wear & tear on our family car. Ok so here I am a full time "teacher", student, mum, housekeeper & trying to run a small farm while my husband works long hours for pittance. Yet I am being told to go "back to work" well if that's not work then what is? So while I somewhat agree with you it's not a blanket that should be put over everyone. I work a hell of a lot harder than I would going "back to work" we go without a lot just to get by now. What Mr Abbott & Mr Hockey don't see of my family is my day starts at 5am - I get up and get my husband off to work (this is the only time we spend together) & have a quick shower. 6 am - out feeding animals. 6:30am - A extremely fast round of housework to get my house in shape for the day. 7:30am - Breakfast for the kids & get them dressed. 8:15am - School starts (we do exercises & handwriting before our actual school starts) 2:30pm school finishes with a 1/2 hour tidy up of the school room and the kids go out to play. 3:00pm I plan the kids work for the next day. 3:30pm - Take care of our vege gardens/Music or Swimming lessons depending on which afternoon it is. 4:30pm - Feeding Animals etc... 5:00pm - Start on Dinner (Hubby comes home around 5:30 - 6:00) & Kids have baths. 6:00 - Dinner on the table. 6:30 Clean up kitchen & do dishes. 7:00pm - stories & kids in bed. 7:30pm - I start studying and finish around 11:00pm followed by a quick shower & bed (Hubby went to bed hours before). Weekends are packed with study & helping hubby maintenance around the place so I never get a day off. My stress levels are constantly high, I am in dire need of a good nights sleep & hubby are like ships in the night. With all due respect it's not quite as simple as you say but I make it work because I have to.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ready To Run For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (25-05-2015),onionskin  (25-05-2015),SheWarrior  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family Tax Benefit cuts when youngest child is 6

I thought this has yet to be passed through the senate and that the opposition had said they won't support it? I.e it's not a done deal

And no offence @readyToRun, but we ALL have housework, meals, gardens, pets, kids activities, partners, renovations, busy sun up to sun down etc. and many of us also work outside the house too.

You've chosen to home school, that's a choice. You can't say you are too busy to work if you need to earn money. Other things have to give.

My husband works a 9-5 job and I do shift work. We are like ships in the night too, and also have all those things you have to get done in your day (except we don't home school). It's just what you do!
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 25-05-2015 at 13:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I thought this has yet to be passed through the senate and that the opposition had said they won't support it? I.e it's not a done deal

And no offence @readyToRun, but we ALL have housework, meals, gardens, pets, kids activities, partners, renovations, busy sun up to sun down etc. and many of us also work outside the house too.

You've chosen to home school, that's a choice. You can't say you are too busy to work if you need to earn money. Other things have to give.

My husband works a 9-5 job and I do shift work. We are like ships in the night too, and also have all those things you have to get done in your day (except we don't home school). It's just what you do!
    No offence to you either but I assume you live where your children can go to school. I assume that you have help from family at times. I assume you have absolutely no idea what it is like to run a small farm...there's a bit more to it than feeding a dog and a cat. I assume you don't study because unless I am the slowest person on the planet I can assure you that it takes a significant amount of time. As for me having a choice - well yes I did I chose the one that cost us less. Oh and if only my husband worked 9-5.
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 25-05-2015 at 13:40.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ready To Run For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready To Run View Post
    No offence to you either but I assume you live where your children can go to school. I assume that you have help from family at times. I assume you have absolutely no idea what it is like to run a small farm...there's a bit more to it than feeding a dog and a cat. I assume you don't study because unless I am the slowest person on the planet I can assure you that it takes a significant amount of time. As for me having a choice - well yes I did I chose the one that cost us less. Don't try and tell me my life is just like everyone else's because until you realize exactly what is involved in what I do on very little sleep. Oh and if only my husband worked 9-5.
    At the end of the day you are saying the lifestyle choices you've made have meant you are too busy to work even though you need to earn money.

Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

Yes, I've worked and studied, I've had acreage. Of course I don't know exactly about your life but earning money is a basic necessity of life in the western world. If your life is structured so you can't do that then you need to make changes!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (25-05-2015),heplusme  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my youngest is 20 months, you find me a job and I will work it,
    I am very, very ready to return to work,
    at this moment Im not even making an interview

but it needs to be a job that work within childcare hours, Ive no one else to pick my children up / drop them off etc etc

with due respect how can everyone get a job if people like you are working 3??
    Last edited by ThenThereWereThree; 25-05-2015 at 13:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    That's ok if you have family support around you to help, or can find a part time school hours job @Blessedwith3boys. For many the cost of before and/or after school care (or a nanny) costs more than the additional income. I think it sucks and is again punishing those most vulnerable in our society pushing them into deeper poverty and forcing people to make choices (like letting young kids walk home from school and leaving kids at home alone in the afternoons) that can create potentially dangerous situations.

And btw, there might be plenty of opportunities where you are and you obviously have support that allows you to work 3 jobs and/or at night. I can tell you that in my area (and within a 50km radius, I check weekly) there are no more than 20 jobs advertised per week - NONE of which would be suitable for a mother with school age children. So the people who can least afford it will be punished = not fair. This Govt needs to stop waging war on women (single and partnered with low incomes) with children. Would be great if we could all start by recognising everyones circumstances are different and could change in an instant - and by having some more compassion towards other women.
    I live in a small town, so no family to call on. If one is determined and wants to find a job they will, I strongly believe that. I applied for 4 positions and got all 4! I chose 3 to work between. The other position I didn't accept was a day job willing to be flexible for school hours but I don't have dc for bub so I took the other 3 working a Saturday and in the evenings and on hubbys RDO and every second Sunday so he would be home with the kids. Sometimes we need to look and think outside the square if we want to better our situation is all I am suggesting.

Local supermarkets are always looking for night fill, weekend fill, fillers during the day just as an example. And the pay isn't bad either.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 25-05-2015 at 13:43.

Thanks
    Reviews

Local supermarkets are always looking for night fill, weekend fill, fillers during the day just as an example. And the pay isn't bad either.
    yeah Ive had applications in with all these places for all of these positions and so far ... nothing.
    maybe where you are they are, where I am theyre not.