Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Family Tax Benefit cuts when youngest child is 6

I have just learned this morning that the FTB will be cut once your youngest child turns 6. I called the family assistance this morning and the lady I spoke to confirmed that yes this is the plan however they still have until the end of this financial year to pass it. I was unaware of any of this until this morning so I think there will be a lot of people in the same boat. Our youngest is 6 in February so it will effect us quite quickly if it's passed. I am unfortunately still studying and we have been reliant on this payment to make ends meet while doing so. I don't finish until late next year. DH has a very modest wage but it's full time and secure which we are very thankful for. We live in an area where the mines have taken a huge nose dive and there is absolutely no work. Anything that does come up has a crazy amount of applicants and there are a hell of a lot of families doing it way tougher than us. I am terribly concerned that this budget measure will put so many families into poverty. I know for us if it happens we will have to cut back so much. I worked out our budget and we'll have exactly $12.96 for groceries per fortnight without the FTB and we simply can't afford our insurances, music & swimming for the kids, our pets will need to be re-homed as our we won't be able to feed them or ourselves for that matter. It's quite dramatic but looking to be the reality. I also need to mention that our children do distance education & I am teaching them so therefore I would need to work nights if I could even find anything. There is only one pub in town and the place is hardly booming because the miners have left. I know that the budget needs to return to surplus and we all need to take cuts somewhere but this is going to make things very difficult. I can see a lot of families becoming homeless & going without the essentials. Here's to hoping it doesn't pass or at least don't take quite so much of it away
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 25-05-2015 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it was parenting payment that cuts out after your youngest turns 6.

Are you sure Centrelink said it was FTB A & B?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hugs. We will be affected badly once our youngest turns six too.
    This budget and the one before are all about making the poor, the sick and those just holding their heads above water paying for incentives and tax breaks for business and the rich.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really hope this isn't passed as I will be in big financial trouble if it does go ahead. My ds is 6 in October, I work part time and study nights. Been a single mum is hard enough without this extra stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The parenting payment one has already been passed this on is definitely FTB

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know whether it is FTB or parenting payment.

Any links?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    Does anyone know whether it is FTB or parenting payment.

Any links?
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corp...ilies/44-90013

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ready To Run For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (25-05-2015),superbuns  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    It says you will have until july 2017 if you are already on the payment. That will give everyone on it 2 years to get used to this change.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

superbuns  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering that but the lady I spoke to this morning said we would lose it in February. Children who turned 6 before the 1st of July will have the 2 years. That was how she had explained it to me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ready To Run For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready To Run View Post
    I was wondering that but the lady I spoke to this morning said we would lose it in February. Children who turned 6 before the 1st of July will have the 2 years. That was how she had explained it to me.
    That was my understanding too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast