+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Babies Should Wake During The Night

Saw this article this morning, and thought it was interesting... What are your thoughts?

http://www.*******.com.au/babies-sho...tudy-declares/

Babies SHOULD wake during the night, new study declares

Groundbreaking new research from the UK is about to challenge everything you thought you knew about your baby's sleep - seriously, everything. It's radical and reassuring all at once ...

It’s what new mums spend hours daydreaming about (mainly because they’re not getting enough sleep at night to dream about it in bed!) … that groundbreaking occasion when your baby suddenly discovers how to sleep through the night.

It’s a point in time you never forget, a moment when you fist-pump the air in victory, because you DID it, you actually achieved what you thought could never be achieved ever again. You actually got six glorious hours of unbroken sleep. Boo-ya!

But hold that thought for just a minute. We need to share something with you that will challenge everything you thought you knew about your baby’s sleep.

The sleep study that’s making us think again

New research from Swansea University’s Department of Public Health, Policy and Social Sciences, is turning everything we know (and hope for ) when it comes to a baby’s sleep patterns, on it’s head. Researchers have now declared that sleeping through the night is not natural for babies, and that no amount of breast milk, formula or solids has any bearing on the way a baby sleeps.

The new study focused on 715 mothers with babies between six and 12 months of age, and took into account sleep and eating habits - including what and when the babies were eating and how frequently.

“The findings firstly showed that 78 percent of babies at this age still regularly woke at least once in the night with 61 percent having at least one milk feed during the night,” reported the researchers.

“The study also showed that although mums who were breastfeeding tended to feed their baby more at night, there was no difference in the number of times babies woke up dependent on whether they were breast or formula fed, how many feeds they had in the day or how many solid meals they ate.”

Say that AGAIN! Ahem … newsflash, mums and dads, we’re now being told, in no uncertain terms, that it’s completely normal for babies to wake up at night AND what we feed them has no bearing on how well they sleep.

Study leader, Dr Amy Brown said:

The findings are very interesting as they firstly challenge the idea that babies should be sleeping through the night once they are past a few weeks old and secondly that what you feed babies will help their sleep.

There is a common belief that formula milk or giving more solid foods will help your baby sleep better and this study shows this isn’t true. We did find that mothers who were breastfeeding fed their baby more at night but this could be because breastfeeding is a simple way to get your baby back to sleep quickly! The babies who were formula fed still woke up, they just weren’t fed.
    And that’s not all …

There’s another equally interesting, and just as important discovery from this research. Trying to feed babies more in the day time in an effort to encourage a longer, better sleep at night doesn’t work. In fact, doing so may actually do more harm than good.

“Trying to overfeed a baby during the day in the hope it will sleep at night may encourage overfeeding and risk of obesity and as we have shown does not stop your baby from waking,” said Victoria Harries, who co-authored the study.

So, you know all those books you bought on baby sleep routines? They might not be as helpful as you once thought, so you might just want to pop them aside, at least for now.

“There is a lot of pressure on new mums to get their babies to sleep through the night and a multimillion (dollar) market trying to sell them ways of doing this. We hope that our findings are of comfort to new mothers who have a baby who is still waking in the night, in showing them that many other babies are waking too,” said Dr Brown.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (25-05-2015),BettyV  (25-05-2015),Busy-Bee  (25-05-2015),FrothyFrog  (25-05-2015),Pearlygirl  (25-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-05-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It's not news to me. All my children have held the belief that they should wake several times a night, and I accepted that as normal long ago

I hope someone who has a young baby that doesn't sleep well reads it and feels a bit happier about the situation they are in. Sometimes just realising that they are meant to wake and its no fault of anyone's can be such a freeing feeling.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (25-05-2015),Frankenmum  (25-05-2015),FrothyFrog  (25-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (25-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I read this article the other day and felt so much better. DS1 was sleeping through at 12 weeks. When I had DS2 (6 years later), he was/is such a terrible sleeper waking many times sometimes 10+ a night. He was born prem and very tiny, so 10months (8months corrected) this is normal for him because he still needs to be feed. Relief is what I describe this article, although it is hard when you love sleep!

Eta: Longest stretch of sleep my bub does is 4 and a half hours and I have been told it is routine from him due to him being woken very regular (3 hours) in the NICU.
    Last edited by New Hope; 25-05-2015 at 07:49.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-05-2015),Frankenmum  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont understand how the discovery that most babies are waking at night can lead to the statement that ALL babies SHOULD wake. I don't base my parenting decisions on what most other parents do and I certainly don't work out what my baby needs based on what most other babies need. If this article helps some mums feel better about their child behavior then that's good but I don't see it as groundbreaking scientific research. Xxx

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-05-2015),Frankenmum  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    How is this news. Babies are designed to wake for feeds during the night as most mammals do.
    Just like everything else in life we gain new skills at different rates.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do like that it says the formula fed babies wake just as much as Breastfed bubs. Research has previously found this but many many mums are still told to give formula to help sleep.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-05-2015)