+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sitting at the auto electrician now, getting a new alternator. Re the accident he said "anything's possible, but it's unlikely". He said it'd be more to do with the fact that my car has almost half a million kilometers on it lol. My poor little car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I'm sitting at the auto electrician now, getting a new alternator. Re the accident he said "anything's possible, but it's unlikely". He said it'd be more to do with the fact that my car has almost half a million kilometers on it lol. My poor little car.
    He's right. If your car has done that many km it's probably wear and tear.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

CMF  (25-05-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    as far as how long it takes, take your car in to get the assessment (insurer will send someone to the mechanics to assess the damage, take photos, agree with the repairer exactly what work is required etc).

Then book your car in (making sure they have the parts) for another date to have the repairs done. Then hopefully (depending on parts) they will only have your car for a few days.

It will be a few as they will have to paint any panels they replace, and that does take a couple of days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just come back from the panel beater. He just took lots of photos, said he'd send them off, and he's booked the car to come in in 2.5 weeks time, and said he'll have it for a week.
    The auto electrician scared me yesterday though as he said sometimes if it's over a certain amount of $$ of repairs, they will choose to write it off. I really don't want that to happen, as my car isn't really worth much, but it's so so reliable and in great condition, every time I go to the mechanic they comment on how amazing my car is for the kilometres! I just want my little car back in one piece!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I've just come back from the panel beater. He just took lots of photos, said he'd send them off, and he's booked the car to come in in 2.5 weeks time, and said he'll have it for a week.
    The auto electrician scared me yesterday though as he said sometimes if it's over a certain amount of $$ of repairs, they will choose to write it off. I really don't want that to happen, as my car isn't really worth much, but it's so so reliable and in great condition, every time I go to the mechanic they comment on how amazing my car is for the kilometres! I just want my little car back in one piece!
    Yep, if the amount to repair costs more then what your cars 'value' is then they will write it off and pay you out the value i think?..which sucks because then you would need to buy a new car. Thats the crappy thing about only having third party when a crash happens

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Yep, if the amount to repair costs more then what your cars 'value' is then they will write it off and pay you out the value i think?..which sucks because then you would need to buy a new car. Thats the crappy thing about only having third party when a crash happens
    Yep that's true but you can dispute the amount of the ride off. We only just and I mean just got threw recently. We were not at fault in the accident so it was mega frustrating!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    My mil had her car written off the same way. They tried to offer her $500 and she refused it because she did a quick online insurance quote pretending she was getting a quote for new comprehensive car insurance that allowed her to insure her car for $1500 no questions. She showed them the email she received from doing the online quote and they agreed to honour that quote.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Oh my gosh, that won't be hard to get up to that much $$.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alternator is repaired by an auto electrician. Not likely a result of the accident unless you hit something front on.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Car accident

http://acornrentals.com.au

I had an accident about nine weeks ago.
    Not sure if it's this company, but I have a comparable car which I have been driving for the duration of my repair.
    The mechanic I used suggested a company which was providing cars to people who were not at fault in crashes. It was new in SA but had been in use in other states.
    If you are not at fault, the company charges the other insurance company.

Worth checking out anyway.