+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Car accident

Just curious about the process and amount of time that's involved in having a car accident, to having your car repaired and back to you?

I got hit by an old lady yesterday, car seems to be still driveable (thank goodness!!), but she hit me at the back left corner, and then accelerated all up the side up my car so there's damage to so many panels!

She put in the claim yesterday. I don't really know what to do next, except I know that I need to get quotes, so I'll start ringing around tomorrow to get that started. But mostly I am just worried about how long the whole process takes, and especially how long the panel beaters would need my car for? I can't survive without a car, we are so busy all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends on the panel beaters really. Last year i didnt have my car for 8 weeks as they were waiting for parts from overseas, then they sent the wrong ones! If you have a pretty standard car it should be fairly quick to get parts i would assume

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    It depends on the panel beaters really. Last year i didnt have my car for 8 weeks as they were waiting for parts from overseas, then they sent the wrong ones! If you have a pretty standard car it should be fairly quick to get parts i would assume
    Whaat?? OMG, did they at least give you a replacement car? Do panel beaters offer that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It took about 3 months, but that is because we were having problems with insurance covering the damage. Our car was not drivable though, and we had to wait for ages for insurance to come and assess the damage, then reassess the damage, then decide whether it was a write-off blah blah. Gah it was annoying! Once it was sorted out, it took another 4-6 weeks or so for it to be fixed - they also had to get parts etc etc. It was a PITA. I really hope it does not take that long for you! Our case was exceptional though.

ETA If you are insured all you need to do is ring your insurance company. The companies then talk to each other and recommend their approved crash-repairers and let you know what's going to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Car accident

Glad you're ok CMF.

If you have comprehensive insurance yourself it may be an idea to go through them and they will chase up the other drivers insurance- and will save you the hassle of arranging quotes if they have a preferred mechanic. You can easily communicate through them as well instead of dealing with the mechanics.

Unfortunately as part of the other driver's insurance it doesn't cover a replacement car for you. Some mechanics offer a courtesy car though so it's worth investigating your options. If it is drivable though, you can arrange for parts (if they need to be replaced) and continue to drive it until they are able to actually start work on it, so it's not just sitting in a garage.

Good luck with it all, it is all very stressful I know xx

Eta: It took a week to actually fix my car last accident when they started work on it.... Took about 5 weeks all up though waiting for replacement panels and quotes to be approved. It wasn't drivable though and the damage to the panels was extensive.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-05-2015 at 20:50.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My car took 6 weeks to be fixed after an accident in 2013. It was front and back damage as my car was sandwiched
    They originally said it would take 3 weeks, then 5 and it ended up taking 6 as they were 'waiting for parts'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Whaat?? OMG, did they at least give you a replacement car? Do panel beaters offer that?
    I was lucky we were offered a courtesy car BUT the first one was a tiny Micra which was unroadworthy and broke down, and the second one was a fuel guzzling 20 year old commodore which im sure was also unroadworthy! Just something to be wary of.

Dont get me wrong i was greatful for the car, but next time i wont be accepting a courtesy car unless it is a safe and reliable one. Good ol' western sydney

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness, you're all not being very reassuring! lol. I actually had no idea how long it would take, and had NO idea it could take as long as you're saying! Eek!

I don't have comprehensive insurance. So I have to wait for her insurance. She is with a well-known insurer though so hopefully they get onto things in a timely manner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I was lucky we were offered a courtesy car BUT the first one was a tiny Micra which was unroadworthy and broke down, and the second one was a fuel guzzling 20 year old commodore which im sure was also unroadworthy! Just something to be wary of.

Dont get me wrong i was greatful for the car, but next time i wont be accepting a courtesy car unless it is a safe and reliable one. Good ol' western sydney
    Oh great lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can try recoup some money if you have to hire a car? But it's not a certainty you'll get it back :/ Don't forget your car seats (if you have any in the car) may need replacing! We got ran into and they had our car 4 weeks :/ was fab for a one car family living in a country sorta town (NOT)