+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's something worthy of outrage.

It's a voucher for a food treat for active kids. It's up to us as parents to decide if and when to redeem said voucher.

McDonald's are donating big bucks to various organisations and charities - surely a little self promotion is to be expected?

What big company sponsors anything without expecting something in the way of advertising/promotion in return?

Don't like McDonald's? Then take a stand and choose a sport for your child that has zero funding or association with the fast food chain.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (25-05-2015),bigmummahen  (25-05-2015),CazHazKidz  (25-05-2015),delirium  (25-05-2015),Lauzy  (25-05-2015),Lil M  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Is McDonalds an appropriate reward for sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post

It's a voucher for a food treat for active kids. It's up to us as parents to decide if and when to redeem said voucher.

McDonald's are donating big bucks to various organisations and charities - surely a little self promotion is to be expected?

What big company sponsors anything without expecting something in the way of advertising/promotion in return?

Don't like McDonald's? Then take a stand and choose a sport for your child that has zero funding or association with the fast food chain.
    No outrage - just concerned curiosity- I honestly didn't know they sponsored most weekend kids sports - as mentioned I chuck the voucher but I honestly thought it was a strange way to reward kids doing sport - I'm in the minority it seems!

We also sponsor the club and yes obviously have signage and logos everywhere which a sponsor should be able too - I just assumed a children's sport would choose their sponsors more carefully but obviously money seems more important

when DS starts school and has to do school weekend sport thankfully McDonald's has nothing to do with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

So well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's fine ! Surely your son doesn't have Maccas every single day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    No outrage - just concerned curiosity- I honestly didn't know they sponsored most weekend kids sports - as mentioned I chuck the voucher but I honestly thought it was a strange way to reward kids doing sport - I'm in the minority it seems!

We also sponsor the club and yes obviously have signage and logos everywhere which a sponsor should be able too - I just assumed a children's sport would choose their sponsors more carefully but obviously money seems more important

when DS starts school and has to do school weekend sport thankfully McDonald's has nothing to do with it!
    I've been thinking about this over the past few days and following along today and I think you are overreacting. Are you going to ban junk food from the break up party too? Honestly it just seems like a bit of overkill when really you don't HAVE to use the vouchers. Have you thought that your hard stance on junk food may cause your child to have a bad relationship with junk food in the future? I've always felt that Moderation is key.

I don't think it's a matter of money is more important. The bottom line is, without sponsors - these activities/events wouldn't exist. Or the parents would have to pay a fortune to cover the costs of the overheads. Yes you may sponsor the club now while your son is a member, but I doubt your support will continue forever. A company like McDonald's offers the security of consistent, ongoing support..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (25-05-2015),Lil M  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

On that note... Let's go back to the days when cricket was sponsored by VB and Winnie Blues. If you don't like that (even if your kid loves playing cricket) then you can just take your kid out of cricket and sign them up to learn how to play the recorder instead.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (25-05-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    On that note... Let's go back to the days when cricket was sponsored by VB and Winnie Blues. If you don't like that (even if your kid loves playing cricket) then you can just take your kid out of cricket and sign them up to learn how to play the recorder instead.
    I just had a flash-back to the "Benson & Hedges Ashes series"...or was it the "Benson and Hedges World Cup"?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is McDonalds an appropriate reward for sport?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmummahen View Post
    I've been thinking about this over the past few days and following along today and I think you are overreacting. Are you going to ban junk food from the break up party too? Honestly it just seems like a bit of overkill when really you don't HAVE to use the vouchers. Have you thought that your hard stance on junk food may cause your child to have a bad relationship with junk food in the future? I've always felt that Moderation is key.

I don't think it's a matter of money is more important. The bottom line is, without sponsors - these activities/events wouldn't exist. Or the parents would have to pay a fortune to cover the costs of the overheads. Yes you may sponsor the club now while your son is a member, but I doubt your support will continue forever. A company like McDonald's offers the security of consistent, ongoing support..
    I don't know what a break up party is yet! DS is only 4 and it's my 3rd weekend as a sports mum!

He has obviously had what he calls "party food" which is lollies and chips etc which is what we call sometimes food and he's fine with that - I don't believe 4 year olds can moderate food yet which is why I feel I need to provide better choices at this age - we just don't eat fast food as a family as I just think it tastes horrid and he'd much prefer to eat at cafes and restaurants with us as he knows no different so maybe it's just me trying to cling to hope he will stay that way but with school next year and fast food obviously being the norm In this country I suppose I'll have to hope for the best and he won't like the taste of it either!

We sponsor the local bowling club, the soccer club and the local public school which DS has nothing to do with as a long standing local business so yes I do think we will keep giving money to Auskick as well

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Elijah's Mum: instead of Macca's vouchers you could offer to make the 'Best on Ground' delicious Devon sandwiches each week!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Elijah's Mum: instead of Macca's vouchers you could offer to make the 'Best on Ground' delicious Devon sandwiches each week!
    Whilst DS is playing the recorder 😉