+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Good lord I just google the nutritional info of McDonalds! It's worse than I thought!

I also believe processed snack foods are just as bad but 5 packets of tiny teddies and 5 muesli bars combined can't be as bad as this!

Happy meal with :
    6 nuggets , sweet and sour sauce, small fries, small coke

700 calories
    40g fat
    75g carbs
    850g salt
    And even worse over 20 additives including msg, nitrates and those known to cause behavioural problems plus trans fats

https://mcdonalds.com.au/maccas-food/nutrition

Some of those chicken wraps have over 30 additives in them ������
    And those additives are the things that send DS loopy!! Now he's been off anything on the banned list his behaviour has improved out of site. I can really tell the difference when he has something he shouldn't have. One thing we never did though was give him coke...no way!! We're starting the process of looking into if he has ADHD so stimulants is the last thing he needs lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Just recently, DS was getting picked on at school because he didn't have those sort of things in his lunch box. He actually asked for them so I compromised with the occasional oat bar and flavoured rice cake lol.
    See this will worry me next year when my DS starts school , I don't think my "devongate" saga at a tiny 20 kid capacity 4 year old pre school can compete with a 2000 student big school!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    See this will worry me next year when my DS starts school , I don't think my "devongate" saga at a tiny 20 kid capacity 4 year old pre school can compete with a 2000 student big school!!!
    Most schools have a healthy lunch style policy and encourage the parents to pack decent stuff. Our school is lower socioeconomic so it's a bonus if the kids turn up with anything and things that aren't the norm are so different they can't comprehend. We recently did a talk to DS's class so that it would put an end to the misconception that because our food was different that it was gross. We served up the kids some food and DS has had no issues since.

As for canteen/tuck shop. His first school, I loved their menu. Lots of healthy options and a real focus on decent foods. The lady running it would even make up massive batches of home cooked meals and freeze them. Things like fried rice with BBQ pork or spaghetti bolognese. It was great and he would have an order once a week. His other 2 schools...I can count on one hand the number of orders he's had in the last 5 years. The menus offer very few healthy options. Even when they have different events DS can't have the special meals because it's more often than not a sausage sizzle. I've offered to send our own but they won't have a bar of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will happen ������

My daughter has seen some atrocious things in other kids' lunch boxes and has asked me for them. Things like roll ups which I have never bought before. And she now says she only likes white bread when it's not something I ever buy either
    Last edited by BigRedV; 25-05-2015 at 05:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    DS1 does Little Athletics and soccer. For Athletics when you sign up you get a calendar which every month has a free thing from Maccas. It's either an apple bag, calciyum or a snack wrap. When they give out the weekly award DS1 used it for a snack wrap. He has never had a burger. At the end of year presentation they got a bowling voucher and a free sausage sandwich and slushy with their trophy. I vetoed the slushy and he got water instead.

At soccer the award is a free game at AMF bowling. I love this but I can't send him to play by himself so I see how it makes them money to give the awards.

I think once every now and then is fine but it's not something I like to do every week. I remember my youngest brother would get Maccas bought for him after EVERY game of soccer.. he eats way too much Maccas now. He's not overweight because he exercises but it's not healthy either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It will happen ������

My daughter has seen some atrocious things in other kids' lunch boxes and has asked me for them. Things like roll ups which I have never bought before. And she now says she only likes white bread when it's not something I ever buy either
    Yep, my kids only eat white bread now, even though I had only ever bought wholemeal bread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yep, my kids only eat white bread now, even though I had only ever bought wholemeal bread!
    My daughter said she doesn't like the bread with the seeds anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's a small trade off for the, usually, large sponsorship received by McDonalds. No one is being forced to redeem it - it's not like they're turning up after the game with a happy meal for everyone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-05-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=Elijahs Mum;8193585]
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post

I think it's because high-fat food and sugary drinks are clearly linked to obesity and diseases such as type 2 diabetes and yes tiny teddies and chips as snacks are bad but fries and burgers and coke as actual meals are worse ( the calorie , fat and salt content is obscene) and from what I'm seeing the odd monthly fast food treat is now more weekly or even worse becoming a normal part of a child's diet as our kids are more unhealthy now than they have ever been

I have not been into a McDonald's for decades but I just don't get why you would go there to get a healthy choice meal? Do people really go in to a McDonald's for a healthy meal or is it a marketing ploy to get the parents in?
    Speaking for myself I can only give DD chips and nuggets as she's allergic to sesame seeds so can't have any burgers, intolerant to dairy and can't have any wraps etc. I go as it's convenient. We may be late getting home for dinner or lunch so we go through the drive thru as it's convenient. I'd say many other parents are the same and would choose something healthy. It means she's eaten dinner by the time we get home and then she has a piece of fruit for desert.

With the fat calorie content etc, much of that would be the coke which I would NEVER give to my kids in a million years and if they are the entire sachet of sauce. And you can probably also minus the sneaky chippies us mummies eat too.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (25-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have an opinion on this but I really feel like a cheeseburger right now...

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-05-2015),DreamyMummy  (25-05-2015),heplusme  (25-05-2015)