+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=A-Squared;8193542]Meh! I'm not fussed. Maccas do have healthier options these days. A happy meal can have 3 nuggets and a bottle of water if you want, so not too bad. Or you could just not use it - maybe give it to another kid perhaps.

I agree. Plenty of parents are happy to feed their kids lollies or chocolate or packets of tiny teddies and potato chips, but not macdonalds. Why is that?why do we rate maccas as so much worse than everything else?

Whoops, I dont think i quoted the correct bit. I was agreeing that maccas isnt all bad - no worse than any other junk food IMO

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-05-2015),VicPark  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I'm going a bit of topic here, but I'm just so intrigued by your passion and insight regarding healthy food @Elijahsmum How did this start with you? Just curious!
    Way too much time on my hands!
    I stopped eating red meat and poultry in the late 80,s as a teenager and back then there was no where near as much info on nutrition and vegetarians so I read a lot on what to eat and I taught myself how to incorporate other sources of protein and iron into my diet , my SIL is a nutritionist and naturopath so I pretty much have her on speed dial and as soon as I became pregnant and had so much time off I just really got into kids health and nutrition and what foods to give DS and literally spent months researching and cooking and meal planning , I've always also been a "foodie" and love entertaining so it's just become a big passion - I'm not a total health nut and do subscribe to the 80/20 rule , DS had ice cream and apple crumble I made for dessert tonight but we just don't do fast food or have processed food at home

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

almai  (25-05-2015),~Marigold~  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Say what?!

Using food (any food) for reward is not appropriate IMO. But Maccas...! I'm speechless.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

almai  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),VicPark  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    [QUOTE=cheeeeesecake;8193547]
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

I agree. Plenty of parents are happy to feed their kids lollies or chocolate or packets of tiny teddies and potato chips, but not macdonalds. Why is that?why do we rate maccas as so much worse than everything else?
    I think it's because high-fat food and sugary drinks are clearly linked to obesity and diseases such as type 2 diabetes and yes tiny teddies and chips as snacks are bad but fries and burgers and coke as actual meals are worse ( the calorie , fat and salt content is obscene) and from what I'm seeing the odd monthly fast food treat is now more weekly or even worse becoming a normal part of a child's diet as our kids are more unhealthy now than they have ever been

I have not been into a McDonald's for decades but I just don't get why you would go there to get a healthy choice meal? Do people really go in to a McDonald's for a healthy meal or is it a marketing ploy to get the parents in?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do not get rewarding sport with McDonalds. But they are huge sponsors of junior sport and they need funding from somewhere. Its a catch 21 I guess.
    We are the odd family that opt for healthy choices at McDonalds on the rare chance we go there.
    My DD is ana to eggs and if we are caught out with snacks, or out for a quick meal McDonalds is great with allergies.
    Most places look at you like you have 12 heads or tell you they don't cater to allergies but McDonalds is always really helpful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that the fat, salt, sugar and calories is huge, but so is the quantities in potato crisps or tiny teddies,or museli bars, or other foods that parents give their kids daily. Why is mcdonalds fries once a week worse than potato crisps in the lunch box every day? Or a museli bar for recess, or take away hot chips? I just dont see why mcdonalds is worse than the many unhealthy snack foods that some parents feed their kids daily. [QUOTE=Elijahs Mum;8193585]
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post

I think it's because high-fat food and sugary drinks are clearly linked to obesity and diseases such as type 2 diabetes and yes tiny teddies and chips as snacks are bad but fries and burgers and coke as actual meals are worse ( the calorie , fat and salt content is obscene) and from what I'm seeing the odd monthly fast food treat is now more weekly or even worse becoming a normal part of a child's diet as our kids are more unhealthy now than they have ever been

I have not been into a McDonald's for decades but I just don't get why you would go there to get a healthy choice meal? Do people really go in to a McDonald's for a healthy meal or is it a marketing ploy to get the parents in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Elijahs Mum;8193585]

i think our 'snack' foods are worse,
    a child eats these things and gets essentially a meals worth of sugar or salt or fat in a 'snack' then parent gives extra food because they dont think of it as a 'meal' but a 'snack'

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I agree that the fat, salt, sugar and calories is huge, but so is the quantities in potato crisps or tiny teddies,or museli bars, or other foods that parents give their kids daily. Why is mcdonalds fries once a week worse than potato crisps in the lunch box every day? Or a museli bar for recess, or take away hot chips? I just dont see why mcdonalds is worse than the many unhealthy snack foods that some parents feed their kids daily.
    Just recently, DS was getting picked on at school because he didn't have those sort of things in his lunch box. He actually asked for them so I compromised with the occasional oat bar and flavoured rice cake lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post

You're so right. When we were eating more fast foods it was often Maccas because it was open all the time and we passed it on the school run. It wasn't just an occasional thing, it ended up being at least twice a week. Add to that the times we'd opt for something 'healthier' and go to Red Rooster for a roast meal or something to that effect.

We still don't eat wonderfully and have takeaway once a fortnight, but it's so much better than it used to be. I have a really unhealthy relationship with food and some of that stems from never being taught to balance things right. Every night we were sat down to dinner with soft drink and white bread for afterwards. I was allowed to eat chips whenever I wanted and there was always cordial in the house. We rarely drank water. We now have a much better balance in our diet but it's taken some doing and the breaking of some very old habits to improve on things simply because I want to show DS how to balance things right.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),monkeymama  (25-05-2015),SuperGranny  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good lord I just google the nutritional info of McDonalds! It's worse than I thought!

I also believe processed snack foods are just as bad but 5 packets of tiny teddies and 5 muesli bars combined can't be as bad as this!

Happy meal with :
    6 nuggets , sweet and sour sauce, small fries, small coke

700 calories
    40g fat
    75g carbs
    850g salt
    And even worse over 20 additives including msg, nitrates and those known to cause behavioural problems plus trans fats

https://mcdonalds.com.au/maccas-food/nutrition

Some of those chicken wraps have over 30 additives in them 😱

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast