+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    No it's just a voucher from the closest store

I'm not worried about DS missing out on any rewards - I suppose it's just more that McDonalds is deemed a "reward" in the first place and I think associating fast food with any kind of reward could lead to bad food choices later and I just think it's hypocritical to reward physical activity with bad food, maybe the same way cigarettes are now banned from being promoted in sporting events - it's not an ideal health choice for sport?
    I really think you are over thinking this. I get what you are saying. DS was given a macdonalds certificate when he spent a day in hospital, some happy meal voucher that we just didn't use. The sort of parent that only feeds their kids fast food is not the same sort of parent that puts their kid in physical activity ifkwim? I see maccas as a treat, I had one about 3 years ago, it was awesome lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think the bottom line for me is if you don't agree with it, throw the voucher away. Attempting to change it for everyone is forcing your values of them. IMO one happy meal doesn't undo a whole week of good food, and it doesn't have to mean a reward as such. It can be couched in terms of meeting up with your mates after the game, having a meal and a play on the equipment.

I remember an old member here that was vegan and at xmas time the school/DC was doing candy canes. I think it was bc they had gelatine in them?? but she didn't want her daughter having them. But rather than imposing her opinions on a whole school, she simply talked to her daughter about why she couldn't have them and when they came home in cards the DD couldn't have them. I thought that showed great sense.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),Lauzy  (25-05-2015),munchkin275  (24-05-2015),PomPoms  (24-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post
    Maybe if the kids get a voucher you could take them there for the free wifi while they eat horse carrots!?
    Now that's just cruel lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think the bottom line for me is if you don't agree with it, throw the voucher away. Attempting to change it for everyone is forcing your values of them. IMO one happy meal doesn't undo a whole week of good food, and it doesn't have to mean a reward as such. It can be couched in terms of meeting up with your mates after the game, having a meal and a play on the equipment.

I remember an old member here that was vegan and at xmas time the school/DC was doing candy canes. I think it was bc they had gelatine in them?? but she didn't want her daughter having them. But rather than imposing her opinions on a whole school, she simply talked to her daughter about why she couldn't have them and when they came home in cards the DD couldn't have them. I thought that showed great sense.
    This. You always manage to say what I'm thinking, but in a much more articulate way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to get these way back when I was a kid

Honestly I don't think it's a big deal. I understand your concern and if you don't want your kid to eat Maccas that's fine but that doesn't mean you have to ruin it for everyone else. Just keep throwing them out and forget about it.

There's nothing wrong with having fast food as an occasional treat. Personally, I'd rather teach my child to enjoy things in moderation than to ban them completely so I'd take the voucher (which he'd probably only get once each season if they're sharing it around) as an opportunity to have a treat.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Is McDonalds an appropriate reward for sport?

I personally would just throw the voucher away.

It's not an issue that needs someone stepping in, it would probably be more trouble then it's worth trying get everyone on board to find an alternative when ultimately the kids are likely only getting offered a voucher once a season and not all of those kids would probably even use them.

If it was a weekly team trip to McDonalds for a happy meal I could see your point of view but really it's a voucher that enables a parent to get their child a free happy meal if they wish, but then again they might throw it out or forget they even have it.

I admire your passion for nutrition though, I really do .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going a bit off topic here, but I'm just so intrigued by your passion and insight regarding healthy food @Elijahsmum How did this start with you? Just curious!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 24-05-2015 at 22:05.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Meh! I'm not fussed. Maccas do have healthier options these days. A happy meal can have 3 nuggets and a bottle of water if you want, so not too bad. Or you could just not use it - maybe give it to another kid perhaps.

I just don't think Maccas is all bad, we go at least once a week and DD only ever has nuggets and chips and a bit of my fruit smoothie. Each to their own, I think in this case it's great maccas give back to the community. If not sport, then what else??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think with happy meals, you can choose seared chicken wraps, apples instead if fries etc?

Anyway, my son plays league and they don't give out vouchers. But my daughter got one last year from school for sports participation. It wasn't a happy meal prize but it was 2 vouchers. One for a wrap and one for a calciyum popper thing. We didn't end up using it anyway but I didn't think it was a big deal at the time. If I go to maccas, my kids only want to play in the playground anyway

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),FrothyFrog  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont think there is a problem with the occassional happy meal. The sports clubs rely on sponsorships to survive. My kids dont eat lollies or chocolate, but they have had macdonalds occassionally. Its all crap food in the end,and its ok every now and then. My kids have food allergies, and there is often food offered to them that i have to tell them they cant eat, like birthday cake at parties, etc. So I get it can be tough for parents to say no if they dont want their kids eating it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast