+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Is the voucher for a set item (eg cheeseburger meal) or a set amount ($10 etc)?

If it's for a set item that is pretty unhealthy I would say that's bad.

If it's for a token amount and you can spend it how you please I don't think you have grounds to make a fuss - especially considering the coaches are volunteering their time and probably don't have hours on their hand to track down an alternative reward. You can go into maccas and order a babycino or small soft serve icecream for your little one. Or a toastie. Or a muffin. Seriously a treat like that once in a blue moon isn't going to harm a kid. If you make a fuss over a set $ amount voucher then you may end up being the mum that the other mums talk about!
    That's what DH is worried about!
    Its a happy meal voucher - We don't go to McDonald's so I just threw it away , we go to our local cafe for brekky afterwards - we also sponsor the club through the office so I don't mind coming up with another reward ( they get offered free tickets to real matches all the time so I thought that would be a better option ) but do realise it might be perceived as a bit over the top and going against the norm - I was just hoping maybe everyone thought the same as me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That's what DH is worried about!
    Its a happy meal voucher - We don't go to McDonald's so I just threw it away , we go to our local cafe for brekky afterwards - we also sponsor the club through the office so I don't mind coming up with another reward ( they get offered free tickets to real matches all the time so I thought that would be a better option ) but do realise it might be perceived as a bit over the top and going against the norm - I was just hoping maybe everyone thought the same as me!
    Hmmm. Happy meal voucher - I wouldn't be happy with that. I think it would be ok to offer/suggest another reward - just make sure it's not going to create hours of paperwork for the coach.

Maybe you could offer your own reward for DS if he wins an award at sport? Eg movie tickets, octopus oven fries (I seem to recall your DS loved octopus??).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with @M'LadyEm - I think its pretty normal and as other PP's have said they spend huge amount of money sponsoring kids sports programs. Whether they should or not is a different question though.

By all means exercise your right as a parent not to use the voucher, however other parents might like it and use it as an opportunity to take the kids to maccas for a treat. I wouldn't get involved in this one tbh.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh, stop over thinking it, if you don't want the voucher, throw it away. We don't eat maccas but we're not over the top nutrition martyrs either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is McDonalds an appropriate reward for sport?

I'll have your voucher if you don't want it 😝

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are these the awards that have the 3 vouchers on the side? Maccas, AMF and Luna Park?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hmmm. Happy meal voucher - I wouldn't be happy with that. I think it would be ok to offer/suggest another reward - just make sure it's not going to create hours of paperwork for the coach.

Maybe you could offer your own reward for DS if he wins an award at sport? Eg movie tickets, octopus oven fries (I seem to recall your DS loved octopus??).
    The thing with this would be the trade off for sponsorship would be that the vouchers get handed out. As a PP said before it's not about the free happy meal, it's about the rest of the $$ that they make off the other family members buying McDonald's. By not handing out the vouchers they may see this as a contract breach and pull funds, or reduce the amount they donate.

The thing to remember is the coach is simply handing out pieces of paper with words printed on it. It's not like the coach is handing out the actual happy meal. Throw it away, end of story.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Are these the awards that have the 3 vouchers on the side? Maccas, AMF and Luna Park?
    No it's just a voucher from the closest store

I'm not worried about DS missing out on any rewards - I suppose it's just more that McDonalds is deemed a "reward" in the first place and I think associating fast food with any kind of reward could lead to bad food choices later and I just think it's hypocritical to reward physical activity with bad food, maybe the same way cigarettes are now banned from being promoted in sporting events - it's not an ideal health choice for sport?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

almai  (25-05-2015),Chunkydunks  (24-05-2015),monnie24  (24-05-2015),VicPark  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe if the kids get a voucher you could take them there for the free wifi while they eat horse carrots!?
    Last edited by zoz; 24-05-2015 at 21:08.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (25-05-2015),VicPark  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post
    Maybe if the kids get a voucher you could take them there for the free wifi while they eat horse carrots!?
    Now that's a good idea!