+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably going to be hated for this... But I really don't think it's that big of a deal. The whole point is that it's a treat that a different kid wins each week - so each kid usually gets one voucher a season. Not everything at McDonalds is total crap anymore either which is good. Definitely not something to encourage your child to think is the norm but as a once in a blue moon thing I don't see a problem with it.

As for whether it's appropriate in kids sports for companies like McDonalds to sponsor - again I don't see a big issue. They put money & funding into sports which help keep them going, and kids are exposed to marketing everywhere now anyway - at least this way they get something back and it's encouraging a healthy activity in sports.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-05-2015),atomicmama  (24-05-2015),BettyV  (24-05-2015),bubbasmum  (25-05-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (24-05-2015),DarcyJ  (24-05-2015),delirium  (24-05-2015),DT75  (25-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),Gracie's Mum  (25-05-2015),MillieMollyMandy  (25-05-2015),munchkin275  (24-05-2015),RaraMum  (24-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2015),Sethysmum  (24-05-2015),snowqu33n  (24-05-2015),sunnyflower  (24-05-2015),SuperGranny  (25-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I've always found the fast food lots sponsoring sports as odd. The two really don't go well together but anyway...

ETA: We haven't stepped foot into a Maccas for 3 years. Even before we become vegetarians we made a big decision to stop eating it. Best thing we ever did.
    Last edited by Chunkydunks; 24-05-2015 at 19:22.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Back when my brother played football he used to win one of those vouchers at least once a year, and usually for his last game of the season the whole family would go to watch & we'd go to McDonald's for breakfast before the game (this was in later years when he played a bit later in the morning!). It became a bit of a tradition & is still something I remember all these years later.

I don't think going once in the season as a treat/reward for getting the award is such a bad thing, but if you don't want to go, you could just not use it & find an alternative reward that you're more comfortable with.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (24-05-2015),monkeymama  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    I want to hear that story!
    It's not really that exciting but DH and all my friends tease me about it and called it "devongate!"

I'm a nutrition nerd at the best of times but also not eating meat for 30 years and never having it as a kid I was just really stunned to see that the pre school DS started last year had Devon sandwiches on the menu - ( the rest of the menu was quite good ) I don't want to be that pedantic about processed meat as I know it's unavoidable sometimes but I just thought Devon - really ? - it's a nutritionally void , processed, nitrate laden , chemical filled slice of salt that shouldn't be fed to pre schoolers , so I emailed the pre school owners and asked if they cold take Devon off the menu, they said some kids liked it and it was affordable and I just said I didn't think it was an appropriate nutritious meal for kids and can I offer to supply nitrate free Turkey to the centre every week instead

DH was mortified thinking they would think of me as "one of those mothers" and DS would be ostracised by all the kids because his mummy stopped the Devon!

Thankfully a week later the centre agreed to take away the Devon and offered tuna instead ( they still had ham and cheese and egg and vegemite etc so no one starved!!!) no one has ever complained and when I became friendly with some of the mums they never even knew it was on the menu in the first place!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (24-05-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (24-05-2015),JR03  (24-05-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is the voucher for a set item (eg cheeseburger meal) or a set amount ($10 etc)?

If it's for a set item that is pretty unhealthy I would say that's bad.

If it's for a token amount and you can spend it how you please I don't think you have grounds to make a fuss - especially considering the coaches are volunteering their time and probably don't have hours on their hand to track down an alternative reward. You can go into maccas and order a babycino or small soft serve icecream for your little one. Or a toastie. Or a muffin. Seriously a treat like that once in a blue moon isn't going to harm a kid. If you make a fuss over a set $ amount voucher then you may end up being the mum that the other mums talk about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I suspect your husband may need to shake his head about more things in the future - such is the price he pays for having a passionate foodie as a wife!

My centre doesn't provide food and I'm glad for that reason - wasn't keen on the idea of the relatively cheap 'crowd pleaser' food options I'd expect them to have. Instead I get to send DS with the food I want him to eat.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do see the irony in having fast food as a sports reward, but at the end of the day, they do provide a lot of money/sponsorship to sports clubs, so I guess it's a good thing they're involved.
    My kids play sport, they also eat Maccas. But they do recognise that unhealthy food as a reward for sport doesn't make sense. So as long as they have that understanding, I don't really mind.
    As far as the awards go, they know we never really get around to using the vouchers, so they don't really care when they get one. I think last year the vouchers were for snack wraps anyway, which they don't like.
    They're far more interested in the Luna Park vouchers unfortunately!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's totally fine in moderation. Just like chocolate, it's an occasional food or treat. I think having it once throughout the auskick season is ok.
    When my DS played junior AFL the coach gave the best player on match day a chocolate bar. We've had the macca's certificates as well. His soccer team had the same. Auskick had been affiliated with Mcdonalds when DS was involved years ago as well. It's wide spread. Actually, thinking about it, when DS played indoor soccer the player of the match was awarded a slurpee/slush puppy drink and bag of chips from the canteen.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 24-05-2015 at 20:01.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The more I think about it, the more I inappropriate I think it is. I've never really thought to deeply about it until now. Why does the reward have to be junk food?
    You've raised a very good question @Elijahsmum

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't see an issue with it tbh. Growing up I played loads of sport. Little athletics was sponsored by McDonald's and as such we had the Maccas logo plastered all over our uniform/competitor number. McDonalds are a big multinational that invest many thousands of dollars into sports sponsorship of various degrees. It is one of the major sponsors of the AFL. Not sure if it's standard for all teams, but when the Brisbane Lions win a quarter in their game, anyone with a valid ticket get a free quarter pounder from McDonald's the following day. I've not once followed through on this, because it doesn't entice me. I guess this is where it comes down to you as a parent - you can choose not to go there. I can guarantee they won't ditch McDonald's as a sponsor otherwise they wouldn't have the funds to continue the program. The pay off for that is the coach handing out a few vouchers here and there. What about Milo Cricket? It's the same kind of thing. Nestle is a multinational that is helping to fund organised sport for kids. However evil Nestle and McDonald's are, you can't totally blow them off in these circumstances.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-05-2015),delirium  (24-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),monkeymama  (24-05-2015)