+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Is McDonalds an appropriate reward for sport?

DS ( 5 in October) has just started Auskick ( mini AFL) on Sunday's and this is my first foray into organised weekend team kids sports and after every match the coach gives out McDonalds vouchers to the best players ( they all get a turn)

DH tells me its quite a standard thing for McDonald's to give out these vouchers at most kids weekend sports - do you think it's appropriate to reward physical activity with a nutrient void fast food for little kids or am I just over thinking it and should just suck it up and just keep throwing ours away and ignoring it and not try to find a better alternative?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Do I think it's appropriate? Nooooooooo not at all!
    Is your dh right as far as it goes with being standard? Yes.

It's crap but they also throw big money at the afl as well as those vouchers. I mean, the vouchers get you what? A small cheeseburger meal or something- but McDonald's hope that you bring in the whole family and spend another $30 or so on top of that one voucher. From a marketing point of view it's evil genius.
    From a parenting point of view it's atrocious. There should be rules about sponsors of sporting events for say the 14 and under age set at the least, but for the time being, we'll all just have to suck it up and deal with it.

My boys have started Auskick this year too and are not amazing sports stars, so hopefully they don't bring any vouchers home

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (24-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep - it's been around for years and years. I remember my younger cousins getting them for netball 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's because McDonald's are a sponsor.

If you feel strongly about it, just don't take the kids there. Fortunately as parents you have the ultimate decision whether to use the voucher or not.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

Cardi  (24-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (24-05-2015),kim85  (25-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Pretty standard.

Every game though, I find odd. End of season voucher I'd be ok with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids haven't been to McDonald's, but with all the "talk" at school DS is starting to think that it is somewhere that we just have to go to. We've tried telling him that the food isn't that great and is quite expensive.
    If I was in your shoes, I'd probably present your DS with a trade-off. Perhaps with a different activity or treat.

Not an appropriate award - perhaps a $5 off voucher at a sports store, free sports socks, a ball, sports bottle, hat would be much better.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 24-05-2015 at 19:03.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS doesn't know what McDonalds is - he just thought he was getting a certificate! I just said to DH maybe we can get another reward or something other than McDonalds to give all the kids - he thinks no only because it's a standard thing and he doesn't want me to make a big deal about it ( especially after "devongate" - my mission to rid pre school of Devon last year! But that's another story!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS doesn't know what McDonalds is - he just thought he was getting a certificate! I just said to DH maybe we can get another reward or something other than McDonalds to give all the kids - he thinks no only because it's a standard thing and he doesn't want me to make a big deal about it ( especially after "devongate" - my mission to rid pre school of Devon last year! But that's another story!!)
    I want to hear that story!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (24-05-2015),FrothyFrog  (25-05-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (24-05-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    I want to hear that story!
    Me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS didn't have Maccas until he was 6. My DP and his kids were gobsmacked! It seems like a long standing tradition to hand out the Maccas awards and I think it's best just to focus on the reason for the reward and chuck it out if you won't use the voucher.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Devongate *shudder*