+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default selective reduction

Warning, i know this is very senstive topic so please send me a private message as I don't want to offend anyone. Has anybody done selective reduction in Australia and do you know which doctors will do it?

I got pregnant naturally with twins. I am 8 weeks pregnant. This is a natural pregnancy. I already have a 2year old daughter.

I know there are many risks with having multiples. My husband and I never planned on three children. This is all a shock and has been stressing us out. I had terrible post Natal depression with my first and I know I will never cope with twins. I haven't slept in nights and can't eat as the anxiety is getting to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you spoken to your doctor about it? GP or Obstetrician? They would be the ones to discuss this with as they would know who to refer you to. I would be discussing this in great detail with your doctors, especially any psychologist/psychiatrist you saw in regards to your PND too. If you go ahead with the procedure there's always a risk that you could lose the other twin too. It is a massive decision to make and what a tough situation you're faced with. I hope whatever decision you make is the right one for you and your family. I hope you have a good support network around you.

(FWIW, the multiple birth association are an excellent resource and support if you do decide to continue the twin pregnancy.)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (24-05-2015),Busy-Bee  (24-05-2015),Hopeful1975  (10-02-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (24-05-2015),Wise Enough  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with the PP, your OB or doctor would be the ones to speak to, and definitely see a therapist/counsellor - no matter what you decide to do. Good luck hun.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

its a huge shock finding out your are pregnant with twins.

Whatever you do -

(by the way, you cannot receive pm's until you have 5 posts - so you need to post a few more times - just in here is fine - in order to receive any)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Hopeful15  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope someone is able to give you some guidance. It is hard with PND and coping. If the pregnancy isn't a high-risk multiple pregnancy and is a lower-risk one, there is also the option to place a child for adoption just as a thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your responses. I am seeing the obstetrician this week so will definitely be discussing with her. I am besides myself with anxst and fear of continuing with twins and hope that she gives me a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. PND was very difficult with our first. I cried solidly through the first 8 weeks and was scared to leave the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your advice. I have an appointment with the psych for next week and hopefully she'll help us make the right decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful15 View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I have an appointment with the psych for next week and hopefully she'll help us make the right decision.
    Only you and your husband can make the "right" decision. No one can help you come to that decision by advising you what to do. They can only offer you strategies and open the doors of conversation between you and your husband. Is it mainly the thought of the PND recurring that's the major fear factor for you? Or are there other things that come into play as well - finances etc? You may still get PND regardless of how many babies you deliver and I would hate to think that it was made worse by the thought of whatever you decide to do at this early stage. Do you know what kind of twins they are? ie DCDA, MCDA, MCMA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default selective reduction

Selective reduction won't necessarily prevent PND - you could very well get PND even if you only have one baby. A good friend of mine had a termination many years ago now - it haunts her to this day and nearly spun her into depression. CounsellIng, a supportive partner and possibly medication are your best bet for enjoying motherhood regardless of whether you have one or two bubs.

Good luck with your appointments. I hope your hubby is there standing by you. Xx