+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really really Australia will hurry up and get with the times. It will not happen with the current government though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't really intend to go there, but I can't help myself. This is our leader... *facepalm. We'll never get it through with him at the reigns.

http://youtu.be/c3IaKVmkXuk

Caution - There is a bit of swearing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why do my links never work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    That isn't correct, the latest Irish census figures show that 84% of Irish people in Ireland identify as Catholic (of course identifying and practising are different), which is down from previous census, but still the majority. More people are starting to identify as no religion, and if growth continues as it is by 2043 Islam will be the second most common religion in Ireland.
    Not sure where you are getting your info but i took part in the last census and there was less than 50% catholic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yes, but aren't the laws still steeped in Catholic beliefs? I might be misremembering, but one of the reasons I wrote that I was surprised was because of that poor woman who died in 2013 while miscarrying because it was illegal for the hospital to perform a termination.

I guess I assumed from that that it was still 'Catholic Ireland' :-) and that there would be many people voting against.

Anyway. Great result!
    A lot are, yes. As a general rule, laws must fit in with our written constitution, which is very Catholic focused.

ETA: the 'no' side acted really low though. I know a lot of people (who also know a lot of people, and so on) that changed their vote to 'yes' because they did not like the 'no' side's tactics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm getting it from the Irish census website from the 2011 census, less than 2000 people identified as Jewish, while 3.86 million identified as Catholic. Where did you hear that Jewish was the biggest religion?

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/cen...entire,doc.pdf

Only 46% actually attend mass though, maybe that is where the confusion lay??

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your info but i took part in the last census and there was less than 50% catholic.
    Last edited by beebs; 24-05-2015 at 17:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm getting it from the Irish census website from the 2011 census, less than 2000 people identified as Jewish, while 3.86 million identified as Catholic. Where did you hear that Jewish was the biggest religion?

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/cen...entire,doc.pdf

Only 46% actually attend mass though, maybe that is where the confusion lay??
    We get the information sent in the door to us after the census.
    Ah, it might have been the 'attending services' part I was looking at, sorry!

...actually THAT is a pretty good indicator of who would be for and against though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Very like my family, they call themselves Catholics, use it to justify their poor opinions (anti gay marriage etc) but I think the only time they ever set foot in church is for baptisms and weddings!

We get the information sent in the door to us after the census.
    Ah, it might have been the 'attending services' part I was looking at, sorry!

...actually THAT is a pretty good indicator of who would be for and against though...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

DT75  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Very like my family, they call themselves Catholics, use it to justify their poor opinions (anti gay marriage etc) but I think the only time they ever set foot in church is for baptisms and weddings!
    I have people in my family like this too... they wonder why I have very little to do with them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Same here! Would like to clarify my parents are/were reformed Catholics, and they raised my brother and I with a good sense of fairness and worth for everyone, my mums brother raised his kids Catholic and they are lovely - of course I love them, but it's almost like we were raised on different planets!

I have people in my family like this too... they wonder why I have very little to do with them