+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please, wanting to become a paramedic. :)

Hi everyone
    Just after some advice about what to study this year. Next I'm hoping to get into bachelor of health science (paramedic). I haven't studied since I finished high school in 2002, so I realise for any uni to give me a chance I should do something this year.
    I was about to enrol into cert 4 health science foundations (the description says for people hoping to study in medical field ie: nursing, paramedic etc) but after doing some thinking I thought maybe I should do cert 4 in pathology, some of the subjects are still the same and I actually have a qualification at the end of it. What would be best for the unis to see? As a paramedic you would have to put lines in etc so I thought this would be a big help instead of a cert in foundations.
    Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would contact the uni for help. Are there any prerequisite studies? Most courses are targeted at school leavers who have no other qualifications. Are you enrolling in undergraduate paramedics (ie have you done a uni degree before?). You can always do 'non award' subjects at uni where you go to the lectures etc but you don't actually sit the exams etc. it just enables you to get familiar with the subjects. Failing that, you could become a St. John's volunteer and get some field experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's an undergraduate degree. I'm 30, I have life experience not study experience that's why I thought a cert 4 would help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know at our uni there is way too many paramedics. And they aren't even getting graduate programmes at the end of study. I would look into this as you would want a job at the end Food for thought.

Heaps are going OS for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As far as getting into the course you would need to contact the Uni.

As for studying a degree in Paramedic science, you should also consider first getting a nursing degree then if you are still interested apply for a Paramedic then completing a bridging course. That way you cover all your bases. With a nursing degree it's easier to become a Paramedic rather than the other way around, and it's easier and more jobs in nursing than for Paramedics.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey OP,

I am currently studying a bachelor of health sciences to become a registered nurse and fully qualified paramedic. The course is a dual degree that takes four years.

I had not studied since 2007 and was an abysmal student. I didn't have to do any extra years to get accepted, I did the QTAC stat exam and submitted 'life experience' to gain a higher rank.

Because of the dual degree I get to do my dream of paramedic but have a nursing degree to give me a job in my later career. The average careers for paramedics are only 7 years - so an extra 1 year of studying to obtain a dual degree is invaluable.

Call the universities - find out what rank is needed to get into their courses and then do you best to reach that rank! Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (23-05-2015),Wise Enough  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Hey OP,

I am currently studying a bachelor of health sciences to become a registered nurse and fully qualified paramedic. The course is a dual degree that takes four years.

I had not studied since 2007 and was an abysmal student. I didn't have to do any extra years to get accepted, I did the QTAC stat exam and submitted 'life experience' to gain a higher rank.

Because of the dual degree I get to do my dream of paramedic but have a nursing degree to give me a job in my later career. The average careers for paramedics are only 7 years - so an extra 1 year of studying to obtain a dual degree is invaluable.

Call the universities - find out what rank is needed to get into their courses and then do you best to reach that rank! Good luck!
    I think this sounds like an excellent plan. My sister is studying online to be a paramedic. She has to fly to qld a few times a year for res school. She said in Victoria there was no intake of graduates last year. She's hoping to move to qld and they have a few more positions. I would aim for the dual degree.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone I'm in victoria. Which uni are you at monnie24? I have already contacted the uni but that was when I was only considering doing the cert 4 in health science foundation, at the stage i didn't think of pathology as an option. It does say online that are going to be doing a recruitment in 2016/2017, now I'm worried about having a job at the end of it.