+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had spd so bad with my first that I couldn't walk. It was agony!! After my VB it made it 100x worse and I was bed ridden for months!

Because of how bad it was and kept being 4 years later! I had a CS with my second.

So in your case I would absolutely go CS!! Please try not to feel guilty, how you choose to birth is not important, the baby at the end is along with your mental and physical helth

If you're happy with your SRC shorts get the CS ones and you will LOVE them! I still wear mine 2 years later for pelvic and back support. Good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also having a CS doesn't make you a whimp it is still bloody hard!! It's major abdominal surgery!! It will be hard and it will be painful but given your circumstances *i* would go the CS and not for one second think it was the easy option. I did way more long term damage with my VB.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't feel guilty at all. I think we all have images of that lovely natural birth with no need for pain relief and that perfect moment when baby comes out and we feel like a hero. Sadly the reality doesn't usually match and most people i know found the whole experience very traumatic for various reasons. In your case you could end up doing yourself long term damage and who really cares afterwards when you say "oh but I did it vaginally". No medals are awarded, the prize is a heathy baby and in your case I think you need to do what is best for your body given your problems. There are many reasons people chose an elective Caesarian and I think your reason is a lot more valid than most so definitely don't feel guilty.

Having an emergency c section is much more stressful and scary and although you are having major surgery being more prepared in advance I think will help and I personally didn't find the recovery that difficult. Im sure with your current back and pelvic conditions and your tolerance of pain you will find the recovery fine.

Good luck and ditch the guilt. There will always be those "I had a natural birth with no pain relief, aren't I amazing?!" people around but most of us honestly don't care how you have your baby so you shouldn't worry what other people will think or say. X

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My c section was a beautiful and very moving experience.

Let go of guilt and do whatever suits you. Xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    First of all, big hugs. Don't feel guilty, you have to do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

I didn't have back problems, but with my first pregnancy I had to have a c section due to placenta praevia. I went through the feeling guilty stage as I couldn't give birth naturally, and I guess I felt I was missing out on the birthing process. I made peace with it though, as it was out of my control and it was the safest way for me and for bub. My c section was actually a pretty great experience, despite a few complications due to the PP. Hubby was beside me the entire time, once bub was checked by the midwife he was placed on me for skin to skin while they finished the surgery and once they moved me off the operating table and into recovery (DH got his first cuddle then), he was back on me again for more skin to skin and for our first try at breast feeding. My recovery was a little slower than usual due to the PP complications and blood loss, but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

I had such a great experience that I actually elected to have another c section for the birth of my 2nd son.

Not sure how helpful all this is to you, but I guess what I'm trying to share is that c sections aren't always as awful as you imagine they might be, and can actually still be a beautiful birth.

Make sure you chat with all your doctors and get some more information and then think about your decision x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely dont feel guilty. Either way is hard work but you still get the best thing ever, your bubba!! Make sure you do whats best for you and your back in the short and longterm.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    My advice is for this and almost everything else in mothering.....

Do everything you can to let go of the guilt! Push the guilt aside and ask yourself what you really want. Trust your instincts. You know your body and this baby better then anyone.

If you decide on a vaginal birth perhaps consider TENS and a birthing pool as pain management options.

X
    I definitely would consider water-birth as this does help me in general (we have a spa at home just for my back!) but my private hospital has no facilities for this not even a bath only hot showers
    I have a tens machine too which I've been using for 3-4 years and also helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you everyone for these wonderful comments. I have heard some really positive c-section stories which helps. I think there is a big difference between a planned and emergency one too so I need to remember that. The only negativity I've experienced in discussing the options was from my mum who had 2 c-sections 33 and 35 years ago (1 under general). The ever helpful comment was how awful it was and all the other mums were up and about walking bright as buttons with their babies and she couldn't etc. thanks mum! I've been asking everyone I know who has had a c-section about their experience.
    I need to focus on being safe and not feeling I need to justify whatever decision I make. As long as we are both ok then that's all that matters. Thanks all xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default C-section due to back injury - feeling guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I had spd so bad with my first that I couldn't walk. It was agony!! After my VB it made it 100x worse and I was bed ridden for months!

Because of how bad it was and kept being 4 years later! I had a CS with my second.

So in your case I would absolutely go CS!! Please try not to feel guilty, how you choose to birth is not important, the baby at the end is along with your mental and physical helth

If you're happy with your SRC shorts get the CS ones and you will LOVE them! I still wear mine 2 years later for pelvic and back support. Good luck.
    Thank you for sharing this, what you went through is partly what I'm worried about. I really hope things have improved for you. I was going to get the SRC recovery shorts too! When the physio first suggested them I thought how can a $180 pair of shorts possibly help me. But wow.
    Last edited by gingermillie; 23-05-2015 at 09:49.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Wow thank you everyone for these wonderful comments. I have heard some really positive c-section stories which helps. I think there is a big difference between a planned and emergency one too so I need to remember that. The only negativity I've experienced in discussing the options was from my mum who had 2 c-sections 33 and 35 years ago (1 under general). The ever helpful comment was how awful it was and all the other mums were up and about walking bright as buttons with their babies and she couldn't etc. thanks mum! I've been asking everyone I know who has had a c-section about their experience.
    I need to focus on being safe and not feeling I need to justify whatever decision I make. As long as we are both ok then that's all that matters. Thanks all xx
    I had a c/s and it was a wonderful birth experience. Bubs was breech, so was a planned c/s (not emergency)

It does take a bit longer to recover from than your average/good vb ... but to be honest, with you back injury - you are looking at quite a long recovery time from a vb anyway.

Anyway - my birth was lovely and I have no regrets whatsoever about my c/s