+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Similar to me, I only just qualified for my full license last week, I am 37. I think it is harder to learn when you are older, I sometimes think I am just not willing to take the risks I would have done when I was 17, and like anything, learning when you are older is more difficult- look at people who take up musical instruments in adulthood compared with those who started when they were kids.

For the first few years I was a nervous wreck, now I enjoy driving especially long distances. I am more cautious however, I would never overtake on a single lane highway, I wait for the overtaking lanes etc. I also never try and get into tight spaces unless absolutely necessary - I prefer to go further away and walk than try and squeeze into tight spaces with lots of cars around.

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I think when you're older and on your Ls, there's usually a reason for that. The idea of just having Ps in the first place/driving alone can be really overwhelming. I know for me, that when I get to that stage of having my Ps, making it from point A to B without crashing/killing anyone/humiliating myself will be my major goal.

Right now, if I do those things then I will be doing my happy dance and an imperfect park will honestly be the least of my worries.

I imagine that as I become more confident and skilled then I will feel like I can actually 'do better' and take that time to redo it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Also, for me, I find some aspects really challenging. I can't tell which way my wheels are facing or if my steering wheel is upright or not. I can't really tell if I'm straight so rely heavily on lines and landmarks. It does take more ability than I naturally have.

Thankfully I have a good instructor who is completely baffled by my lack of spatial awareness but is working with me to help me find some strategies. But when I'm alone and anxious with no one to calmly talk me through it I don't know how well I'll do. I'll do my best, but I may make others ragey. And when I can I'll park in Siberia well away from others.

So yes, I think that the reality is that not everyone has the same skills as everyone else.

I can see how it is frustrating for others though.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-05-2015),Freyamum  (24-05-2015),Mokeybear  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    A tip to help with whether or not the steering wheel is upright - at some point when your car is parked with straight wheels wrap a bit of coloured tape at 12 o'clock on the wheel. From there, depending on what position the tape sits on the wheel you'll be able to get an idea of which way the wheels are pointed. Does that make sense? It's all practice and, while it may not seem like it now, it will become second nature.
    This is how I learned as well.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think when you're older and on your Ls, there's usually a reason for that. The idea of just having Ps in the first place/driving alone can be really overwhelming. I know for me, that when I get to that stage of having my Ps, making it from point A to B without crashing/killing anyone/humiliating myself will be my major goal.

Right now, if I do those things then I will be doing my happy dance and an imperfect park will honestly be the least of my worries.

I imagine that as I become more confident and skilled then I will feel like I can actually 'do better' and take that time to redo it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Also, for me, I find some aspects really challenging. I can't tell which way my wheels are facing or if my steering wheel is upright or not. I can't really tell if I'm straight so rely heavily on lines and landmarks. It does take more ability than I naturally have.

Thankfully I have a good instructor who is completely baffled by my lack of spatial awareness but is working with me to help me find some strategies. But when I'm alone and anxious with no one to calmly talk me through it I don't know how well I'll do. I'll do my best, but I may make others ragey. And when I can I'll park in Siberia well away from others.

So yes, I think that the reality is that not everyone has the same skills as everyone else.

I can see how it is frustrating for others though.
    I got my license fairly late, I was 23 or 24. I remember being a nervous wreck, especially about parking. I'd either park in the furthest spot from the shops, or even park somewhere the down the road if it was a scary car park. I have terrible spatial awareness too. I still park at the furthest point usually, as I get shocking car park anxiety! All those cars in tight spaces with pedestrians popping out of nowhere...arghhhhhh! It's terrifying. But you do improve with time, and you get confident with familiar places.

Good on you for getting your license, I'm sure you'll love the freedom it gives you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    The coloured tape is an awesome tip. I think I meant whether I have one more full revolution to go, though, if that makes sense? Would that help with that?

We fully need a driving hacks thread!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I feely admit I am not the worlds best driver. I do struggle with parking at times, and I hate driving other people ... so if anyone comes with me, they drive. Even if its my car

I especially hate driving DH. He is a terrible passenger ...

Parking - I always check when I get out whether I am in the spot. Before I let DD out of the car ... Its just that knowing my own abilities (or lack of) its a habit I get into.

I have to say ... having a car with a reversing camera is a godsend. I would never, ever go back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-RaryGirl View Post
    There is parking a little crooked and then there is being a jerk.

I personally don't like my car being in the space crooked but it doesn't bother me if others are crooked within their bay ... it is when they do stuff like these pics that I get annoyed.
    I would actually prefer that second guy be parked sideways across several bays than to do that and that's saying something!!!

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    I would actually prefer that second guy be parked sideways across several bays than to do that and that's saying something!!!
    That would be the sensible thing to do! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    The coloured tape is an awesome tip. I think I meant whether I have one more full revolution to go, though, if that makes sense? Would that help with that?

If you take your foot off the brake for a second and let the car move a little, you will feel if it moves in a straight line or on an angle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    And if he did that he would be parked legally too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Yep. If no other reason that in only a few months I have teach ds1 one to drive. OMG that's scary.