+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is parking a little crooked and then there is being a jerk.

I personally don't like my car being in the space crooked but it doesn't bother me if others are crooked within their bay ... it is when they do stuff like these pics that I get annoyed.
    Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I am so close to getting my Ps and I just know all of these BH threads are going to haunt me into anxiety and having no skills whatsoever when I'm finally out and about on my own 😳

My local Woolies has tiny car parks and in the country here most people drive four wheel drives. It's ridiculous and I'm surprised what with no room between cars and terrible visibility that there aren't more accidents. I'm with @Best Things - down with tiny parking spots!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was someone who parked similar and it was only car park left at the hospital the other day when I was taking DS to emergency. I then had to park wonky so that I could open my door to get out. Of course, when I got back they had left and it looked like I was the one who parked badly for no reason. I guess it pays to remember that sometimes there is a reason for a wonky park. And yeah - sometimes people are arrogant but it isn't always the case.
    Last edited by beebs; 23-05-2015 at 14:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    On the disabled park thing...what if they were on day leave from hospital....nope too bad no permit, you can walk heaps far.

Sorry this is a bit of a pet peeve because life is not black and white.
    I am so glad i am not the only one who had a problem with @Chunkydunks saying "no excuses"... my granduncle was messed around by the people who give him his permit, and he had a horrible time with parking and people doling out their version of justice. The parking at his local shops is awesome for disabled people, and the parking for everyone else is across a road. There is no way he would have been able to manage that extra distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    No, life isn't black and white. I doubt the person writing the ticket would care about any reason for parking in a disabled spot without a permit though. And if you're not comfortable walking from a standard park while on day leave why on earth would you even think about going anywhere like a shopping centre because chances are you'd have to walk around the shops too so parking closer would make very little difference.

When DH first got out of hospital after his accident he was still in a wheelchair but couldn't even get a temporary permit. The simple solution was for him to only go out when he absolutely needed to and when someone was with him who could push him from even the furthest end of the carpark. Even now that he does have a permit, half the time he doesn't use it if we can find a park that's not much further away...not that he goes out that often because he can usually on spend 5-10 minutes walking around before the pain becomes unbearable.
    Some people don't have the luxury of shopping being delivered, and can't go days without food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becca022 View Post
    I got my learners 2 months ago, so parking gives me anxiety still, especially after seeing posts like this. Not everyone is good at parking and as annoying as it might be to more experienced drivers, it's not always that persons fault.
    Everyone is different, with different abilities.
    I dont understand this. I used to drive a large sedan and parking was hard for me and busy areas made me nervous. You don't have to be a parking wizz. It's considerate to check that youre a)in the lines and b)straight when youre done. That little bit takes no talent, its just an extra 5 second step.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-05-2015),Molros  (23-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    I dont understand this. I used to drive a large sedan and parking was hard for me and busy areas made me nervous. You don't have to be a parking wizz. It's considerate to check that youre a)in the lines and b)straight when youre done. That little bit takes no talent, its just an extra 5 second step.
    I think when you're older and on your Ls, there's usually a reason for that. The idea of just having Ps in the first place/driving alone can be really overwhelming. I know for me, that when I get to that stage of having my Ps, making it from point A to B without crashing/killing anyone/humiliating myself will be my major goal.

Right now, if I do those things then I will be doing my happy dance and an imperfect park will honestly be the least of my worries.

I imagine that as I become more confident and skilled then I will feel like I can actually 'do better' and take that time to redo it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Also, for me, I find some aspects really challenging. I can't tell which way my wheels are facing or if my steering wheel is upright or not. I can't really tell if I'm straight so rely heavily on lines and landmarks. It does take more ability than I naturally have.

Thankfully I have a good instructor who is completely baffled by my lack of spatial awareness but is working with me to help me find some strategies. But when I'm alone and anxious with no one to calmly talk me through it I don't know how well I'll do. I'll do my best, but I may make others ragey. And when I can I'll park in Siberia well away from others.

So yes, I think that the reality is that not everyone has the same skills as everyone else.

I can see how it is frustrating for others though.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-05-2015),Mokeybear  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Also, for me, I find some aspects really challenging. I can't tell which way my wheels are facing or if my steering wheel is upright or not. I can't really tell if I'm straight so rely heavily on lines and landmarks. It does take more ability than I naturally have.
    A tip to help with whether or not the steering wheel is upright - at some point when your car is parked with straight wheels wrap a bit of coloured tape at 12 o'clock on the wheel. From there, depending on what position the tape sits on the wheel you'll be able to get an idea of which way the wheels are pointed. Does that make sense? It's all practice and, while it may not seem like it now, it will become second nature.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-05-2015),beebs  (23-05-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (23-05-2015),DT75  (24-05-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (25-05-2015),harvs  (23-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I think when you're older and on your Ls, there's usually a reason for that. The idea of just having Ps in the first place/driving alone can be really overwhelming. I know for me, that when I get to that stage of having my Ps, making it from point A to B without crashing/killing anyone/humiliating myself will be my major goal.

Right now, if I do those things then I will be doing my happy dance and an imperfect park will honestly be the least of my worries.

I imagine that as I become more confident and skilled then I will feel like I can actually 'do better' and take that time to redo it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Thankfully I have a good instructor who is completely baffled by my lack of spatial awareness but is working with me to help me find some strategies. But when I'm alone and anxious with no one to calmly talk me through it I don't know how well I'll do. I'll do my best, but I may make others ragey. And when I can I'll park in Siberia well away from others.

So yes, I think that the reality is that not everyone has the same skills as everyone else.

I can see how it is frustrating for others though.
    This was me, I didn't learn to drive till I was 24 and even then I just got an auto licence AND even then I struggled, driving was terrifying for me for years, it still is sometimes. I'm not sure what it is for me but my judgements and sense of direction when driving is not what I think it should be. I just drive to my capabilities at all times, rarely overtake, park away from others where possible and only turn in to traffic when there is none 😀

Good on you for nearly getting there I remember how much driving completely changed my life and improved my self confidence- the terror is only matched by the FREEDOM!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-05-2015),beebs  (23-05-2015),harvs  (23-05-2015),~Marigold~  (23-05-2015)