+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Oh and how about all the people that want to drive up your backside while you're trying to reverse park. My indicator is on and I start backing back and they get all edgy. I used to say (in my car) "don't you know how reverse parking works?" but after this thread, I'll start giving them the benefit of the doubt and assume they really don't! That's a part of why I started doing the angled drive forward because it makes it more obvious that I'm going to reverse my car back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cars will soon enough park themselves anyway! Quite a few do already and it's awesome

Don't want to brag but I'm a really good reverse parker. I've lived in Paris where you have to get in tiny spots first go or else you'd risk a riot behind you...
    So I found it so easier here where spots are very very large.

But anyway my new car has automatic carpark and it's lovely! It scares people around though as the car pretty much reverse very close to the car behind so everyone thinks you're about to hit it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (26-05-2015),DT75  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I need a car like that!

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Cars will soon enough park themselves anyway! Quite a few do already and it's awesome

Don't want to brag but I'm a really good reverse parker. I've lived in Paris where you have to get in tiny spots first go or else you'd risk a riot behind you...

But anyway my new car has automatic carpark and it's lovely! It scares people around though as the car pretty much reverse very close to the car behind so everyone thinks you're about to hit it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear the tips. Even though I reverse park, I tend to cheat and drive forward at an angle so I get in easier than the "proper" way of driving past and backing in the full 90 degrees.

My friend was in my car with me one day as I was backing into a spot and she was astounded that I don't use my reverse camera for backing in, I just use my mirrors. I do use it to see how far back to go, though. It's particularly useful in cases like the other day when the car behind me was pulled all the way into their bay so if I'd used them as a guide, I'd have ended up over the line into their bay!
    I still drive drive forward at an angle and line it up but once I start to reverse the lines show me where I'm going so as long as I move very slowly I just adjust the steer to line up the lines. Took me a while to get used to but now I rely on it. Maybe too much!
    We almost got the next model up so I could have auto park but it had less seats! Silly odyssey. We would've paid the extra 10k for it. Well I would have made my case and found another reason. My only doubt was being so reliant on technology that's so new what if it failed? I do my mirror checks when parking too in case camera has got misaligned

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you park like this???

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    Oh and how about all the people that want to drive up your backside while you're trying to reverse park. My indicator is on and I start backing back and they get all edgy. I used to say (in my car) "don't you know how reverse parking works?" but after this thread, I'll start giving them the benefit of the doubt and assume they really don't! That's a part of why I started doing the angled drive forward because it makes it more obvious that I'm going to reverse my car back.
    I have this issue too. They don't seem to realise I'm going past the empty spot to reverse in.... Not just going past it even though I've indicated I'm going in! I always go in an angle too it's much easier. So much easier than driving in! Not having to worry about the bonnet and can easily guide myself with left mirror down and my drivers window down to look out so I rarely need to correct myself (usually when I'm rushed and flustered and there's cars waiting behind me lol)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 26-05-2015 at 12:36.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you park like this???

Just want to add even though I always reverse in to car spots it can be a right PITA trying to get a trolley behind you to get shopping in the boot! I try and leave heaps of room behind me and on one side (and to get dd out) but squeezing a trolley in at some car parks is impossible. I try to avoid double rows of cars if possible when doing a big shop. I still prefer it anyway as i feel it's much easier and safer to reverse in and drive out.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 26-05-2015 at 12:46.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My car has this function. Pretty scary until you get used to it. I was using it the other day and it must have been obvious my hands weren't on the wall because a couple people were watching and they looked stunned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Is it true that in Paris people use their bumper bars to actually bump into other cars when parking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes! I saw it with my own eyes, I was horrified but apparently it's just what people do! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FrothyFrog View Post
    Is it true that in Paris people use their bumper bars to actually bump into other cars when parking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyFrog View Post
    yes everywhere in Europe really. We don't have a sentimental attachment to cars ;-)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post: