+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Failed induction

So things are going a bit pear shaped here. After two weeks of saying to my birth centre midwife that I wasn't feeling confident about movements (but definitely still getting them) they took me to see a registrar who recommended starting induction that night (40+6).

I said no and as a compromise came back in the morning 40+7 or 41weeks.

12 hrs of cervidril, lots of tightenings/contractions and painful pressure down low and at the end my cervix was still posterior and closed.

So they attempted to insert the balloon catheter instead.
    Tried three different forceps to reach my cervix, had to call an extra Dr, four attempts and eventually they stopped because the pain was making me distressed (even on gas).

I feel like I got on this roller coaster by accident and if I'm not careful I'll end up with a cesar...

Has anyone else had a failed induction?

I had no idea it would be so traumatic just getting started - nothing has ever felt so traumatic as those balloon attempts (not egg pick up awake or four wisdom teeth removed awake or anything).

I was in shock afterwards and they gave me sleeping pills.

Anyone else been in this experience?

It's so overwhelming I thought id be having a water birth. Makes me feel like I should have kept my mouth shut.

This evening a midwife said as long as I get ten movements A DAY then the baby is fine. I've ways had more than that so I'm just not sure how I ended up here and yet I'm afraid to trust myself and afraid to not press ahead. The induction path seems so rushed...

Appreciate any advice people can offer.

Later this morning they will give me a gel and I think I'd like to ask to have two goes at that just to slow things the heck down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey hunni sorry things haven't gone to plan with my last pregnancy my hosoital from 32wks kept emphasizing possible c-sec due to my high blood pressure but then at 36 wks they said my bmi was to high and i got transferred to another major hospital in my area and then they weren't as concerned i had had two successful vaginal births already so they were keen to let me be but at 40wks they said induction was needed... i got called in Monday 28 April 2014 at 2pm they set me up in my room and by 6pm they started with gel come midnight they said still closed 1-2cm real far back and did second round of gel come 6am on 29th they checked said 3-4cm and ruptured membranes once waters broke omg contractions were full on i thought i was dying couldn't remember so much pain from previous two and then finally at 11:16am she was out i had a baby girl i was ecstatic after two boys she was a breath of fresh air so to speak i fell inlove all over again and here i am pregnant again in hopes it is one more baby girl and then my family is complete

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you get to meet your baby soon... but personally i hope i never have to go down the induction path again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good morning, I hope all goes well for you, I had to be induced at 38 weeks because bub measured small.
    Anyway, I got 2 gels, they did nothing except make the bubs heart rate rise, stressed both of us out, the pain was beyond control, I even got an epidural before waters were broken. They even attempted to break my waters, in the end they did.

I got the ballon also, pain killers, bla bla, after 20 hours I was only 1cm and they wanted to go for a 3rd gel. Crazy people.

Anyway, after bubs heart rate was escalating I was whisked off for a c-section.

I went through hell. There's more to the story, but I'll stop as it's stressful.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had 2 inductions, & found all the poking & prodding difficult to take - it was much harder on me phyically than my natural births. I would be very direct about what you want & ask heaps of questions. If the Midwife is on your side, ask her to advocate for you to the ob. And try to let go of your birth plan/preconceived ideas of how the birth will go - a water birth might not happen for this bub, maybe if you have another one. I am hoping for a very smooth induction from here on for you, I hope they come up with a good plan for you to make babys entrance into the world nice and smooth. Im sending lots of good luck your way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Inductions fail when the body is not ready to labour. Unless bubs life is being risked go home and wait it out.

Otherwise you can ask your care provider to do the bishop test on you to see how you score. Is this your first child?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry this has happened.

It is very difficult to give advice on a forum because these situations are often more complex then your can write but basically I think you need to ask more questions.

-What procedure exactly are they suggesting. Make sure you fully understand before you give consent. It is ok to ask for further explanation.

-Why do you need it? Are they recommending induction because of the reduced movements or because when they assessed you they found something concerning? Any reduced movements from your normal amount can be worrying (NOT just less then 10) but sometimes you feel less movements for reasons that are not concerning (for example your placenta is at the front and just makes it difficult for you to feel them).

-what are the pros and cons of doing this procedure?

-what are my other options? For example could you not be induced but come in everyday for CTG's

-What if we just do nothing and wait?

Also it's ok to ask to speak to the more senior staff if you are losing confidence in what is happening. It might be the consultant OB or the senior midwife.

These questions apply to almost everything they offer you not just the induction.

Good luck. You will be meeting this amazing new member of your family very soon. Xxx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks all, I'm feeling a bit better today, I stood up for myself this morning and have had a proper consult with the Dr so that I understand my options and the Dr and I made a plan I'm happy with. Now just a bit of wait and see till we know how things will go.

It certainly pays to say hang on, stop and explain this to me before just barrelling on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a failed induction. 15 hours on syntocinon drip because waters broke naturally but I had no contractions after nearly 2 days. The drip did nothing, no contractions. Ended up having a c section as nothing was making this bub shift. He was over two weeks overdue as well.
    I was happy to wait but once the waters were broken that long it was getting more risky
    That hasn't happened to you so I'd just be asking for regular monitoring so you can keep making an informed decision about whether to wait or not. Hope it all goes well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my 2nd i was induced early due to a medical complication of my own.
    Started the friday evening 2 x gel, 1 x balloon catheter - worst experience ever!
    Finally on the mon morning waters broke and baby delivered by midday