+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default night waking again

Hi all,
    Our little one started sleeping through the night when she was 9 months, we did controlled crying at the time because she was a shocking sleeper. For a whole year she slept through fine. When she was about 17 months she started screaming blue murder before sleep. So i started staying with her until she fell asleep. At the same time she started waking at night screaming as well. Most of the time she wont go back to sleep so we end up taking her to bed. I know we have put some bad habbits back into her and we just found out we are expecting bub number 2 so we obviously want to fix this before. I want to avoid doing controlled crying again, even though it worked before she is so much more aware now and understands everything. If anyone has any tips i would really appreciate it. Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What time is the day nap? For how long?

What is the bedtime routine?

What is solid intake like?

What is the temp in the bedroom and what bedding is your toddler in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She goes down for a nap at 12pm for 1 hour
    Bedtime: has a bath read a book with milk and sleep
    She eats 3 meals and 3 snacks plus milk morning and night
    Shes currently in a winter sleeping bag and whenever i go in there when she wakes its a nice temperature, shes not to cold or hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nightmares and night terrors start at 18mths-3yrs.

It could be that? There is also a small sleep regression at 18mths according to dr Sears as its peak separation anxiety stage for toddlers.

So depending on your parenting style you might approach this differently.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Soon2be4  (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Nightmares and night terrors start at 18mths-3yrs.

It could be that? There is also a small sleep regression at 18mths according to dr Sears as its peak separation anxiety stage for toddlers.

So depending on your parenting style you might approach this differently.
    That is very interesting thanks for that it explains a LOT in our household at the mo

Sympathies OP we are going through the exact same with our 17 month old. Hope you find an answer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah i do want to approach this differently, just not sure what the best way is. Dont want her to get bad sleep habbits again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasia15 View Post
    She goes down for a nap at 12pm for 1 hour
    Bedtime: has a bath read a book with milk and sleep
    She eats 3 meals and 3 snacks plus milk morning and night
    Shes currently in a winter sleeping bag and whenever i go in there when she wakes its a nice temperature, shes not to cold or hot.
    Plenty of protein/meat with luch and dinner?

It might be worth having milk a little earlier, 30 mins before bed. Then have a little play, teeth, book, bed. Having milk too close to sleep can create a sleep association (making it harder for a bub/tot to resettle).

Grab a thermometer/gro-egg for bubs room so you can measure the temperature and how much it chnages through the night. What tog is the sleeping bag and what material is it made of? What clothes does bub have on underneath? Many parents underestimate the amount of bedding needed and the result is night waking. Certain materials (non cotton/bamboo) can cause bub to sweat and then get cold.

I agree with pp: night terrors are a possibility. The more you interfere the more bub wakes and is distressed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Kasia15  (22-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasia15 View Post
    Yeah i do want to approach this differently, just not sure what the best way is. Dont want her to get bad sleep habbits again.
    I'm fairly patient with my kids and their erratic sleep patterns as babies/toddlers. I've always put them to sleep by feeding/cuddling/patting as I'm not comfortable with cc or cio. For me they are not bad habits but rather ways to comfort my kids when they are distressed or unhappy.

At this age my kids were napping 2-3.5hrs a day and sleeping overnight 10.5-11hrs straight.

Good luck with your decision on what you want to do

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah like i said i dont want to go back to cc. She has never been a long napper but has always slept 11-12 hours at night. I guess we will just ride it out. I just got a bit freaked out becasue all you hear sometimes is ppl saying, don't do this or that because she will get used to it ect ect...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default night waking again

No need to ride it out. There are plenty of gentle tweaks you could do to your routine that don't involve controlled crying.

- double check temp and bedding
    - have milk earlier in night
    - don't go in guns blazing if bub has a night terror -most times bubs are still asleep and if you make a fuss you wake them and do more harm than good. If needed out your hands on bubs chest. How you handle a night terror could set you up with a habit that is hard to break. Try and see if there is a root cause for there terrors eg illness or over tiredness (perhaps bub needs more than 1 hour sleep per day, or an earlier bed time).
    Last edited by VicPark; 22-05-2015 at 08:10.