+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rental inspection- tax depreciation

I have one of these inspections this arvo.
    I don't really know what they're expecting of me, if anything.
    How spotless do I need to have my house?
    I wasn't too worried about it yesterday, but now today as I tidy up a bit I'm getting worried, would they be reporting back to the owner about everything? Or are they only concerned with the tax claimable stuff?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our agent comes in and takes a quick look in each room, takes photos and asks if there are any issues or maintenance they need to look at. All over in five mins. As a courtesy I do a clean, sometimes it's a big clean, other times it's just an average clean.
    Don't stress too much about it but I think it works well for tenants if they can see you're looking after the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It depends on the RE and owner in my experience. Ours is pretty easy going, they really only care about damage but we've been through them for nearly a decade and they know we are model tenants so it's usually just a cursary look through while chatting to me. Having said that I know some expect it to be as clean as if you were shifting out and give big long lists of what needs to be immaculate.

Just for me, I go pretty overboard. My house is pretty clean all the time but given how tough the rental market is now for us renters I want an A1 reference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It depends on the RE and owner in my experience. Ours is pretty easy going, they really only care about damage but we've been through them for nearly a decade and they know we are model tenants so it's usually just a cursary look through while chatting to me. Having said that I know some expect it to be as clean as if you were shifting out and give big long lists of what needs to be immaculate.

Just for me, I go pretty overboard. My house is pretty clean all the time but given how tough the rental market is now for us renters I want an A1 reference.
    Is this for the tax one? It's not a normal inspection. The RE actually haven't had anything to do with it.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    if its for a tax depreciation, its not the RE or anything to do with them.

A surveyor/engineer comes in to look at hte structure of the house, and to assess the value of the house and the fixtures and fittings that form part of it. It is done so that the landlord can claim depreciation for those things on tax.

you dont need to have your house spotless. Just tidy enough for him to look at the oven, the air conditioning, the security system, the carpets and window treatments etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Is this for the tax one? It's not a normal inspection. The RE actually haven't had anything to do with it.
    ooohhhh When you had rental inspection I thought you meant a normal one and the tax deduction stuff was to do with any possible damage reducing the value thus it being a depreciation.

As you were *coughs*

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CMF  (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

A surveyor/engineer comes in to look at hte structure of the house, and to assess the value of the house and the fixtures and fittings that form part of it. It is done so that the landlord can claim depreciation for those things on tax.

you dont need to have your house spotless. Just tidy enough for him to look at the oven, the air conditioning, the security system, the carpets and window treatments etc
    Ok thanks, that's what I thought. I just get a bit paranoid whenever anyone hired by the owner comes in, as I worry they're going to report back to them any little thing that I'm not doing right, like if the house is messy etc.
    Oh well I've cleaned almost everywhere now just in case, only the laundry and bathroom to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does need to be neat and tidy, but don't worry about making it spotless (although your landlord would probably love you for it). The main concern is pretty much any damage. Just make sure there isn't any mould or scum growing legs anywhere. I expect the shower to be a little dirty - just a little, but as long as it's still in okay shape, you're fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

We had one of these done at a rental we were at a few years ago and the RE actually have someone qualified that works for them so it was still a RE agent who came in did ours. So just make sure it's neat and tidy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's usually a Quanity Surveyor who comes through to check the fixtures and fittings ( I'm assuming the home is only a few years old?) for tax depreciation
    Just make sure it's tidy - mainly bathrooms and kitchens , they won't have anything to do with the agent but may make a note if there is major damage to anything