+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Minimal sleep!

My 3 month old still only sleeps 2 hours at a time at night- and feeds every time he wakes. He is exclusively breastfed however I have tried giving him a formula bottle before bed to promote longer sleep but he still wakes after 2 hours! Anyone else experiencing this or does anyone have any suggestions for getting my bub to sleep a little longer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How do you feed? Fully drain one breast (so bub gets the fatty hind milk) then offer the second? How often is bub burped?

How is bub settled to sleep? The more bub is aided (fed/rocked to sleep etc) the more bub will wake through the night.

Is bub wrapped?

What is the temp in bubs room at bedtime then when bub wakes? What bedding is bub in? (Clothes, blankets, wraps etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    During the day I have no difficulties getting him to drain one breast however at night getting him to feed for more than 10 (sometimes 5) minutes is a real challenge. I try to wake him by undressing him and changing him but more often than not he's too sleepy then to keep feeding.

He has never been a fan of swaddling and always fought to get out of it so I've been using a sleep suit for him recently.
    I keep his room consistently at about 21 degrees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps due to reflux issues bub is burped continually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried elevating the cot? DS1 was a very windy baby with reflux.. we had so many sleep issues with him, until we started to elevate the cot (just a foam wedge from Clark rubber under the mattress).
    Have you seen your GP or midwife about the reflux? We found 1ml of the liquid mylanta after a feed helped. Our GP recommended it. But please check with your doctor before doing that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Is your baby in pain or is he just waking frequently? I have an 8 week old so I totally get the sleep deprivation. But lots of babies in my DIG (I was one of the last ones to give birth so many of their bubbas are 12 weeks) are still not sleeping through or only just. Mine did a 6 hour stint last night but that's the longest so far. So I guess what I'm saying is frequent wakings, especially when breast fed at 12 weeks is pretty normal.

I'm far from a bfing expert but I wonder if given he only feeds such a short period that he's only getting the fore milk not the hind which is fat rich and will fill his belly. My eldest used to fall asleep all the time as well. I used to tickle her feet to wake her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you feeding off both sides? You could try one side per feed so bub is getting enough hind milk. My ds fed every 2-3 hrs till 4 months or so and the slowly stretched them out, took a long time. Maybe 2 nights a week he'd do a 4-6 hr stretch. Is he warm enough? I remember putting my ds in a 2.5 tog grobag (was beginning of winter) at 9 weeks on advice of a friend and the first night I did that he slept 5 hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ssculthorpe View Post
    During the day I have no difficulties getting him to drain one breast however at night getting him to feed for more than 10 (sometimes 5) minutes is a real challenge. I try to wake him by undressing him and changing him but more often than not he's too sleepy then to keep feeding.

He has never been a fan of swaddling and always fought to get out of it so I've been using a sleep suit for him recently.
    I keep his room consistently at about 21 degrees.
    How do you know the temp is 21 is there a thermometer in the room/do you have a thermostat controlled heater? What clothes and bedding is bub in? Frequent waking can be a sign bub is cold - bedding and newborns is confusing - many underestimate the amount of bedding a bub needs.

At 3 months there's a good chance not swaddling is affecting bubs sleep. Many bubs don't like swaddling - doesn't mean they shouldn't be swaddled. Just means we have to find a different swaddle that is hard to bust out of (there are a few good ones on the market.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't sound like he's actually waking up hungry because he's not really having a full feed. If he were properly hungry, he would feed longer. At 3 months I wouldn't expect a baby to sleep through the night and it's quite normal to feed, but if he's only feeding for 5 minutes, you're getting into a bad cycle of snack/nap/snack/nap.

If he doesn't like being swaddled, try something like the safe T sleep wrap. I love this wrap but I started using it only recently and my son is already 10 months old. I wish I had known about it when he had been 3 months. It was amazing the difference in his sleep. He settles so much more quickly and sleeps more soundly. If I were you, I would use it over one of those sleep sacks that covers the arms but doesn't "swaddle" them in a traditional way. I think they're made by love to dream. That way bub feels like his arms are free but at the same time he won't startle himself away. The wrap will give him that secure feeling of being held while also keeping him in a comfortable sleeping position. Finally, elevating the head of the bed is always a good thing to try.

And as others have said, make sure he's warm enough.

One more thing, if all else fails, call night nannies. They are amazing! And they don't advocate leaving baby to cry so if you're not comfortable with that, don't worry. It's the perfect age to start sleep training.