+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When should I start setting up the nursery?

I'm really lost for ideas for the nursery. A part of me doesn't even want to bother because I know bub will be in our room for the first few months. When should I start setting it up? I kind of want to get it organized before I'm too big, but just really lacking in ideas and motivation.

When did you start setting up your nursery?

We aren't finding out gender, so nursery will be gender neutral.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (20-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I set mine up about 4 weeks ago, so at about 26 weeks, but only because we moved house and my brother offered to set it up my cot for me, so I thought I might as well keep the ball rolling. Ours is gender neutral too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have Pinterest? There are tons of really nice ideas and inspiration on there. I am the opposite, I've been setting up DD's nursery since I found out at 4 weeks lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I never set up ours. My bubs gender was left as a surprise too. I'm only just starting to organise it now and she is almost 8 months!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't have DD's room ready until she was about 6mo, we had her cupboard & change table in the spare room, and her cot stayed in the box until we set up her room.

I ended up liking that we hadn't done it before she was born, because the decor I'd have chosen before she was born was completely different to what I chose once she'd been born & I knew her personality. It wouldn't have suited her as well as what we ended up with

I think with this bub, I'm going to set up the necessities (cot, change table etc) and leave the decorating until after he or she is born.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've never found out the sex so our themes are always gender neutral

Baby 1- we set up the cot, change table and car seat at 37wks. Bought and washed 10x 0000 white onesies, 10x0000 White singlets, 5x000 onesies and singlets. Got 5x muslin wraps and 2x cot sheets.

Baby 2- bought additional car seat at 37wks. Then repeated the washing process from previous child. Installed car seat day dd2 came home.

Baby 3 due October- dh will set up a corner of our room with a bassinet and change table plus a chest of draws around 37wks. I will re wash all those onesies again. He will install the capsule after Bub is born.

Don't buy too much OP as my experience is that you GET so much from family and friends at your baby shower and when they are born and again if you christen them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    We didn't have DD's room ready until she was about 6mo, we had her cupboard & change table in the spare room, and her cot stayed in the box until we set up her room.

I ended up liking that we hadn't done it before she was born, because the decor I'd have chosen before she was born was completely different to what I chose once she'd been born & I knew her personality. It wouldn't have suited her as well as what we ended up with

I think with this bub, I'm going to set up the necessities (cot, change table etc) and leave the decorating until after he or she is born.
    I agree. Decorate once they are earth side and you can match the room to their personality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (20-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I didn't actually set up either of my boys rooms until a month or so before my due dates. But I started prepping the rooms a lot earlier than that, as we had to do some reno work to them, and paint.

Actually, we were setting up DS2's room the night before I was scheduled for my c section as we had new carpet laid throughout the house that day and didn't want to put anything in there until it was done.

Decorating was an ongoing process as I got a few more bits and pieces for each of their rooms once they were born (hand made name banners that matched with the theme) and some pieces that I hadn't been able to find when I was looking while pregnant.

DS1 didn't sleep in his room until he was 6 months old, and DS2 wasn't in his room until he was 1...so I don't know why I needed to have them all set up anyway! I think it's more to do with your own nesting instincts and it is fun setting up the rooms and putting together the furniture etc. Makes it all feel a bit more real!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default When should I start setting up the nursery?

For both pregnancies I started once on maternity leave, so at 37 weeks.

It gave me something to do and with the nesting instinct I was really efficient!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had DSs done by 20 weeks. It was 'rainbow' themed. He's 18 months and we are moving house where I'll be doing his big boy bedroom.