+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Real Estate Agents

Do you like your career?
    Does it offer good prospects?
    Or do you wish you'd done something else?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (20-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Real Estate Agents

It's all I've ever done! But I do love it
    It's tough, very long hours, you deal with sometimes hundreds of clients a week and it takes years (5+) to get a good client base together and to make any decent money

It's one of the highest turnover jobs and most don't make it through the first year but if you do and your prepared to put the hours in it can be great and very rewarding - as its commission based you work as hard/long as you choose to make the money you want to make but it's definitely not something I would recommend for women with small kids as you are guaranteed to have to see clients after hours and weekends ( when they get home) so you need someone to look after the kids plus you will lose your Saturday's so if your kids play sport it will be hard to ever get to a game

As its commission based you don't get paid unless you list and sell a home so technically you do a lot of appraisals and buyer showings for free and even when you do sell it you don't get paid until settlement ( usually 6 weeks after the sale) so make sure you have a few months worth of spare money until you start selling

I'm lucky as in I put in 20 years before having DS and we started our business 8 years ago so I can come and go as I please but even still my Saturday's are usually gone and I could get a call now to go to an appraisal tonight but I have my mum and 2 x SIL that can take DS at a moments notice

Before DS Id easily do 80 hours a week and yes made good money but it's quite tough emotionally as your dealing with most people's biggest asset and you are in their homes and pretty much know all their financial details/worries , I've had quite a few mortgagee sales which are tough , divorces, deceased estates are also hard but then you look at today's market and getting your owners literally hundreds of thousands of dollars more than what they wanted ( my record is $410,000 over reserve price for a cute pensioner couple) so that's rewarding

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the honest appraisal. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've worked in real estate for 14 years in various roles. Currently admin. It can be a very high paying job (sales that is) but that requires long hours and often 7 days a week. The agents I work with who are doing well seem to really enjoy their work.

I don't recommend sales if you have small kids though, you wouldn't be able to do the hours they do.