+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You could get a live in au pair. They cook meals, mind children, clean house etc 5 days a week ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time m, at uni and have 2 children one in school and one in LDC.

I meal plan and prep a months worth of meals for my slowcooker, then just dump it in the morning and dinner is done. That way I never have to decide what to cook, saves time and also don't have to meal plan as often.

I work out the drop off routine of who is closer to work is dropped off last, so my oldest in before school care first then LDC drop then work and reverse going home.

I lay out all clothes night before, pack bags, defrost tomorrow's dinner, make lunches etc. I also pack the car with just lunch boxes left out so I for forget anything in the morning.

Otherwise the usual planning stuff
    Put washing on of a night and hang out before I go to work
    Clean bathroom while kids are in the shower of a night
    I use the Coles app to scan my pantry items and create a shopping list. I don't get it delivered though as
    I like to choose my fruit and veg plus by doing my monthly dinners I really don't need much every fortnight.
    I pay all bills fortnightly so I never get a bill and use internet banking for everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have an au pair and it is honestly the best thing we have done! She is awesome and takes away so much stress. We only have two DSs, but DH works away for 3.5 weeks at a time with only 5 days home, and I work full time so things would be overwhelming without our AP! A lot of cheaper than children care too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    We have an au pair and it is honestly the best thing we have done! She is awesome and takes away so much stress. We only have two DSs, but DH works away for 3.5 weeks at a time with only 5 days home, and I work full time so things would be overwhelming without our AP! A lot of cheaper than children care too.
    Isn't there a limit on amount if childcare/house duties they can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Isn't there a limit on amount if childcare/house duties they can do?
    As a former AP I don't think there is. It's a private arrangement and you get paid according to the number of hours you work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    As a former AP I don't think there is. It's a private arrangement and you get paid according to the number of hours you work
    Oh? I have family in Ireland and the au pair is only allowed certain hours. Maybe they don't want to pay her more?

A friend of mine also has an au pair here and I thought she said it was 15 hours week.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1432151086.182379.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe the work limitation is due to the visa they're on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cook a few meals Sunday and freeze them for the kids, let's me have healthier quick meals, I put it in the fridge on my way out the door, then heat up that night when we get in the door.

I do a load of bedding every night.

If you can afford a cleaner, do it! It'll give you more quality time with your family.

If you do work at home, the only housework I recommend is washing. Maybe keep your youngest home, if she's easy going.

We tend to have a very chilled Saturday, my kids are in school/care for 10+ hours a day, so they love just being home! Sunday we plan something fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't recommend working from home. I find it too stressful and I end up checking emails over the weekend as I never get to actually do much work on my day from home. I feel like I never get to really switch off from work.

Cooking bulk meals on the weekend to freeze for work nights makes the nights easier.