+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you left your career?

I'm getting a phone call from work later today and I am expecting that they are going to make me redundant. I am almost at the end of 12 months maternity leave.

I have been with the company for 9 years so have spent most of my career there. I wasn't really looking forward to going back so it's not the worst thing, but I'm a bit worried about being sort of 'cut loose' if that makes sense. I liked having that job there when I was ready to go back, it's a well paying job and has been quite flexible in terms of working part time.

I'm worried that I won't be able to find part time work in a similar role or with equivalent pay. I'm not sure how I feel about taking something like a general admin job or taking a big step back.

Did you leave your career and get a more general or 'basic' job? How do you feel about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't have a career as such. I did call Centre/admin/cust service for 8 years... and i chose to leave to stay home with baby. Fast forward 9 months to having to go back to work and i found a fully flexible govt dept job where i can take time off whenever i want and work whenever i want....literally. I'm studying part time ...2 subjects only. So I'm not in a career and I don't want to be till I'm done having babies at least or they are in high school and fully independant....but of course that could change. There's so much casual stuff u could do till u find what fits. I thought leaving my secure, flexible part time job was a mistake but it was the best thing i did because i wouldn't be where I am now .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mixed emotions huh.
    While I haven't been made redundant before I had sorta wished they were targeting our area when the health dept were cutting staff last year offering redundancies but they didn't. I'm on maternity leave too returning to my role in August. While I feel a change would be nice there are very few opportunities paying my level so if I were to find another position staying in health I would most likely have to drop down a level in pay and work 5 days again, currently I work 4. So I will probably just stay where I am, I'm still enjoying it, would just like a change. Been doing it for 8 years, 17 years in the health dept. My current position is very flexible in many ways which is great. I am able to choose my hours so great being able to work around the kids sports etc.
    I can't get ds3 into childcare until August but due to finances I would have gone back to work a few months earlier so I had been looking for some after hours work so dh can be home with the kids. I applied for 4 positions and got 4 of them! I took 3 of them and am happily juggling the 3. I have gone back to a current profession working Sat mornings, being pharmacy which I have been out of for 10 years so it was awesome getting back into it and being face to face with people after being stuck behind a desk for the past 8 years. All my knowledge came flooding back to me which is great, I was a bit nervous! The pay is quite average compared to what I'm used to but it doesn't matter to me, I'm enjoying it. I'm working 3 nights picking online orders at woolies and I'm working every second Friday and 1 night a week at another dept in the hospital, being paid casual so that's quite good money. So I'm doing about 29 hours a week and have variety.

You just never know what's around the corner op. See if you get made redundant first, if you do there isn't anything you can do about it but look at other avenues of employment. You'll be ok.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-05-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    This has been on my mind lately. I am a primary school teacher but since having dd and having to give up my previous position, I have had zero luck in finding a position in the town where I live.
    Lately I have been wondering if I am better to find a job elsewhere, maybe doing office admin or similar but
    1. I love teaching
    2. What did I spend 4 years at uni for? It seems like such a waste
    3. I still haven't paid off my HELP debt, and if I take a job earning less money then that debt will effect what I take home, especially as I would be paying for childcare as well- leading me to think that if I can't or won't change careers then I am better off being a SAHM.

But then am I? It's very confusing. My wallet says change careers and take any job, my heart says stick with it and something will come along...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I didn't have a career as such. I did call Centre/admin/cust service for 8 years... and i chose to leave to stay home with baby. Fast forward 9 months to having to go back to work and i found a fully flexible govt dept job where i can take time off whenever i want and work whenever i want....literally. I'm studying part time ...2 subjects only. So I'm not in a career and I don't want to be till I'm done having babies at least or they are in high school and fully independant....but of course that could change. There's so much casual stuff u could do till u find what fits. I thought leaving my secure, flexible part time job was a mistake but it was the best thing i did because i wouldn't be where I am now .
    That's very reassuring! I'm studying too - just one subject per semester and I've still got 7 subjects to go for this course, then I have to do post-grad to qualify. I was hoping to ride out my current job for as long as possible so I could maintain a good income while studying.

I do put some of my self-worth in my success in the workforce, I have a fairly senior position so I'm concerned about feeling left behind or unsuccessful. Does that make sense? It's hard to articulate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't left a career as I am still studying - however, the employment prospects in my area of study have changed significantly since I began my degree. I am far from confident that I will ever be able to find work doing what I have trained for. I am looking for a job at the moment (halfheartedly) and would love something at least related to my area of study, but am coming to the realisation that I might need to just take "whatever" as we need some money. It feels like such a waste of study and I won't be as happy as I would be in the area that I love. It's a bit depressing really. That being said, in your situation, taking something for less money would not have to be forever. Could you just find something to tide you over and continue to job hunt until hopefully something appropriate comes along?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Mixed emotions huh.
    While I haven't been made redundant before I had sorta wished they were targeting our area when the health dept were cutting staff last year offering redundancies but they didn't. I'm on maternity leave too returning to my role in August. While I feel a change would be nice there are very few opportunities paying my level so if I were to find another position staying in health I would most likely have to drop down a level in pay and work 5 days again, currently I work 4. So I will probably just stay where I am, I'm still enjoying it, would just like a change. Been doing it for 8 years, 17 years in the health dept. My current position is very flexible in many ways which is great. I am able to choose my hours so great being able to work around the kids sports etc.
    I can't get ds3 into childcare until August but due to finances I would have gone back to work a few months earlier so I had been looking for some after hours work so dh can be home with the kids. I applied for 4 positions and got 4 of them! I took 3 of them and am happily juggling the 3. I have gone back to a current profession working Sat mornings, being pharmacy which I have been out of for 10 years so it was awesome getting back into it and being face to face with people after being stuck behind a desk for the past 8 years. All my knowledge came flooding back to me which is great, I was a bit nervous! The pay is quite average compared to what I'm used to but it doesn't matter to me, I'm enjoying it. I'm working 3 nights picking online orders at woolies and I'm working every second Friday and 1 night a week at another dept in the hospital, being paid casual so that's quite good money. So I'm doing about 29 hours a week and have variety.

You just never know what's around the corner op. See if you get made redundant first, if you do there isn't anything you can do about it but look at other avenues of employment. You'll be ok.
    Wow aren't you exhausted?? That's an impressive workload especially with 3 kids. I'm not sure nights/weekends would work for me, DH often works late or from home at night and lately has been going in on weekends as well - it's an insane time for him at work but we're hoping it calms down in a couple of months. He does project based work so things go a bit nuts when big projects are going live.

You're right, I'm sure I'll be ok. We can survive on DHs income easily enough but if I'm not working it means we have to shelve some of our financial plans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    This has been on my mind lately. I am a primary school teacher but since having dd and having to give up my previous position, I have had zero luck in finding a position in the town where I live.
    Lately I have been wondering if I am better to find a job elsewhere, maybe doing office admin or similar but
    1. I love teaching
    2. What did I spend 4 years at uni for? It seems like such a waste
    3. I still haven't paid off my HELP debt, and if I take a job earning less money then that debt will effect what I take home, especially as I would be paying for childcare as well- leading me to think that if I can't or won't change careers then I am better off being a SAHM.

But then am I? It's very confusing. My wallet says change careers and take any job, my heart says stick with it and something will come along...
    It is confusing isn't it. It's hard to know what to do. In your case, could you use your teaching skills and look for work doing corporate training or something like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I haven't left a career as I am still studying - however, the employment prospects in my area of study have changed significantly since I began my degree. I am far from confident that I will ever be able to find work doing what I have trained for. I am looking for a job at the moment (halfheartedly) and would love something at least related to my area of study, but am coming to the realisation that I might need to just take "whatever" as we need some money. It feels like such a waste of study and I won't be as happy as I would be in the area that I love. It's a bit depressing really. That being said, in your situation, taking something for less money would not have to be forever. Could you just find something to tide you over and continue to job hunt until hopefully something appropriate comes along?
    Can I ask what you're studying? My issue is also finding a balance between pay and distance to travel to work. My current job pays well but it's a 1hr40min commute each way. It's worth it for the money but if I was on less money we would consider whether it was worth it.

We also don't have family that can look after the kids so we have to consider the cost of childcare, so I'd need to be on enough to make it worthwhile. After the rebate (we don't qualify for CCB) it will cost us about $300 per week in childcare fees for 3 days care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

I do put some of my self-worth in my success in the workforce, I have a fairly senior position so I'm concerned about feeling left behind or unsuccessful. Does that make sense? It's hard to articulate.
    Once I went on maternity leave I realised I did this too. Without my job I just felt a bit worthless for some reason. But then I came to the realisation that my kids are the most important thing to me, and the job I do for them is the most important thing in the world to them, so in actual fact I do have an important job. Even if society or the rest of the community doesn't see it like that. Hard to explain but that made me feel better.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-05-2015)