+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18 month old suddenly grumpy- normal or underlying medical condition?

Ok not sure if anyone can help. My 18 month old ds has suddenly turned into a monster over the last few days. He normally gets pretty irritable and grumpy when he's teething, unwell etc and we can normally tell this is why and give him the benefit of doubt for few days. However for the last 3-4 days he has been absolutely horrid. Just flying off into tantrums over the smallest of things and we can't seem to find any reason why. He had a high temp last week for couple days so we presume had a virus/cold but hasn't really got any symptoms of being unwell apart from mild runny nose.

He's normally such a happy baby but he's just constantly whinging and having tantrums all the time. Stupid things like going over a bump in the road and he's crying. Even friends are making comments about how he's not himself and we've had to cut several play dates short as he's getting so wound up. As he's having periods of being happy I'm starting to think it's just an age thing and we have now hit the terrible tantrum stage. Can't face the prospect of that being the case but just can't find any other cause. Do you think there can be a medical reason even though we can't notice any signs? Ie could he have an ear infection, sinus pain etc etc?! Or have people noticed when their babies start going through tantrum stage it can come on quite quickly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally would take them to the gp just to get checked out just incase. It could be nothing or it could be something like an ear infection etc. Worth it for the peace of mind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's booked in for his vaccinations tomorrow so I'll ask the Dr to give him a check over first to see if anything obvious. It just seems hard to go to Dr when I can't pinpoint any problem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any other thoughts? Am ready to kill him and it's only 8am! It's going to be a long day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could he have an ear infection or a UTI?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't really think of uti. I guess I'm just assuming he would be showing symptoms of something. I'll try and put some cotton wool in his nappy to get a sample to take it to Drs today and I'll ask them to check his ears. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this about my 12 month old. I don't have any advice but DP is taking him to the doctor today.
    Here's hoping there's nothing to be overly concerned about and it doesn't last too long. Xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter was older when she started really getting into tantrums, but yep, it was sudden. Could easily pick the change in her behaviour over a couple of days, in much the same way that you could pick a developmental jump as a baby. Same happened a few months later when they ramped up again.

Not what you want to hear, of course...but you adjust. If you can't find anything medical, it may just be changes in devlopment/understanding/behaviour. Hopefully not, for your sake!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I'm starting to think it is just developmental as it's not improving. It's just so odd, they are mainly due to frustration and things that before wouldn't have bothered him are suddenly massive dramas. For example he normally sleeps very well and doesn't wake during night at all but for the last week he's been waking screaming at least 1-2 times a night. And the reason he's screaming is because he can't find his dummy so all it takes is someone to go in, give him his dummy and he's straight back to sleep. It can't be new that he can't find his dummy but before he wouldn't make a fuss. Now it's the end of the world! Just trying to hard to keep it together but he's trying my patience so much!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Sounds developmental to me. You have to think of it like this: as he is getting older, he is understanding a lot more about his world and learning new concepts every day. Something that might not have given him bother previously can all of a sudden trigger a massive meltdown.
    Your next job is helping and guiding him on how to deal with all these new feelings he is experiencing.
    My dd started at around 18 months too, and it was a massive shock to my system as my boys were both much older before this happened. I'll never forget her first tantrum. I wouldn't let her play in my saucepan draw because I was cooking tea. Previously she would wander off and find something else to do. But this day it triggered a massive screaming tantrum that lasted 30 minutes. Exhausting!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (19-05-2015)