+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it was me, id also offer to pay. Was it an off leash dog park?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was it in a dog park or something?

It's tricky, especially if their dog was behaving in a way which was threatening to your dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by poisonapple View Post
    Because their dog was off a leash, as was yours. Both party is responsible for their animal and this could have been avoided.
    Sorry, this is not accurate. Dogs have the right to be off leash and unfortunately OP is responsible for the attack unless the other dog came on to OP's property or if OP's dog was on leash. As they were both off leash the responsibility lies with the person whose dog attacked the other.

Unfortunately even though both dogs were off leash and the other dog approached OP this is normal animal behavior and the dog owner whose dog has been injured could easily argue that OP acted negligently in taking a protective dog into the community without adequate safety precautions.

OP - in no way am I saying you were negligent! It's an unfortunate accident and I can imagine you'd be pretty shaken up! I hope your pup is okay, these things are so scary! I also hope that you're okay! Fingers crossed the other dog only has minor injuries!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you are responsible. Vet bills can be very expensive so hopefully the other owner is willing to put in as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My BIL is a ranger for the local
    Council and gets called to tons of dog fights - regardless if they were on a lead or not it's the dog that bites first that is the one at fault - those owners can ask you to pay all vet bills and if challenged in court they will win if they have proof ( eye witnesses or ranger report)

If it was not an off lead park both owners can be fined for that as well but even on leads dogs can bite and attack

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (18-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The dogs is being kept over night. They are able to fix it but it was worse than they thought. We called and offered to pay. The owners appreciated the phone call.

My dog has never done this before, she's 4. She played rough and growled but never this. I don't know if I can trust her around my son

Thanks
    Reviews
    What an awful thing to happen. Hope that everyone involved will be able to move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do the owners have pet insurance? You poor thing its so scary not knowing if you can trust them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    The dogs is being kept over night. They are able to fix it but it was worse than they thought. We called and offered to pay. The owners appreciated the phone call.

My dog has never done this before, she's 4. She played rough and growled but never this. I don't know if I can trust her around my son
    It's very likely she was just being protective of you. I hope you can continue to trust her around your son. Really thinking of you and your puppy. I have a dog that used to display food aggression and cannot be near other dogs but I trust him 100% with my daughter. You know best - I know you'll use mothers instinct to know if your DS can be near your dog.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (18-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 dogs, they are going to become partial outside dogs. They'll be allowed in a certain part of the house and away from the main area, where my son is starting to learn how to walk. This has shaken me, I'm just not 100% confident anymore (I used to be) and that is enough for me to seperate them.

Not sure if they have insurance but that's up to them if they want to claim.